JM Lab Micro Utopia?

Sony6million

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
United Kingdom
JM Labs Micro Utpoia

Anyone had any experience, or anyone got any opinions? Paul is this the one you said is ok you want to listen to the tweeter lol?

A

adam

Exactly,they are the brightest hardest speaker I've ever heard,no bass either,didn't like the JMlab sound at all.

Leonard Smalls

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Shropshire Borders,
If you want French speakers you won't go wrong with JM Reynaud, none of that tear-your-ears-off nonsense with very good bass for a standmount:

offrande_1g.jpg

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sony6million wrote:

JM Labs Micro UtpoiaAnyone had any experience, or anyone got any opinions? Paul is this the one you said is ok you want to listen to the tweeter lol?
I think he was refering toa Mico Utopia Be which had just sold on eBay for under oraround 1k. (rrp of around 3.5k IIRC)

G

Jezzer wrote:

Sony6million wrote:
JM Labs Micro UtpoiaAnyone had any experience, or anyone got any opinions? Paul is this the one you said is ok you want to listen to the tweeter lol?
I think he was refering toa Mico Utopia Be which had just sold on eBay for under oraround 1k. (rrp of around 3.5k IIRC)
there isn't a lot in it jezzer, might not be best with evo2, careful partnering i feel is on order with the JMlab

U

Umberto

analoguekid wrote:

Jezzer wrote:
Sony6million wrote:
there isn't a lot in it jezzer, might not be best with evo2, careful partnering i feel is on order with the JMlab
Forgot you had an evo 2 Phil. I think you'd better audition very carefully before considering those speakers with that amp.

Sony6million

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
United Kingdom
Umberto, Paul, guys... Thats all I needed to hear. I am looking for more of the opposite from them then. You've all said hardness etc, which is the red light for me and my little scamp of an amp.

Considering mr Coherents Osprey's, but its a bind getting up to Chez S6M
kaffeetrinker_2.gif.ba76878d555418d609a6f9e8389072ea.gif

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Seriously Sony, judging by what you're saying, get a pair of Dynaudio's.

Refined, natural, slightly laid-back.... (a bit like me) :green:

I've been able to compare two pairs of £2,000ish (£1,000ish2nd hand)speakers recently:

Monitor Audio GR60's - Transparent and verydetailed, deep bass, fast... but bright tonal balance.Guitars sounded nice. Good leading-edge definition. Voices didn't sound natural. My Mrs desribed the sound of female voices as 'metallic' - which is about right. Nice drivers/cones but cabinet finish isn't the best.

Dynaudio Contour 1.8mkII - Neutral, laid-back, good detail, not as transparent as the MA's but seems to have better separation. Excellent, smooth,midrange. Wide and deep soundstage. Not as fast as the MA's but presentation is nonfatiguing. Lovely drivers (if not as 'bling' as the MA's). Cabinet work is faultless (if a little conservative). Nice WBTterminals.

It's quite obvious which speakers I prefer....

Sony6million

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
United Kingdom
I'm wondering if dynaudio is the be all and end all for me, I know I like what they can do. Was it not you that said the 1.8s were mot much better than 1.3s? Or was that someone else?

Kiang

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2005
Leeds, , United King
try and go for the LV avatar OBX (SHADOW HAS ONE)

Will be a significant step -up , and the next thing you may change in future will certainly not be speakers .

If I remember rightly - you had some trouble with the belcanto did you not ?

Is it OK now ?

Sony6million

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
United Kingdom
I'm not familiar with them Kiang, I'll have a look, thanks. You are right about my amp. No, it still is not working 100% and is currently with Tony receiving some TLC. I worked for about 2 weeks after being serviced but then lapsed
sad.png

Had a look at shadow, they're about a grand too much for me. Wouldn't mind hearing the Dali Helicons but they've been sold.

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sony6million wrote:

I'm wondering if dynaudio is the be all and end all for me, I know I like what they can do. Was it not you that said the 1.8s were mot much better than 1.3s? Or was that someone else?
Dali Helicon's are nice speakers (heard the Helicon 400's). Plenty of detail without being thrust into your face. Great treble courtesy of those tweeters. More upfront than the Dynaudio's mind you.

Craig mentioned that there's not much between the 1.1's and 1.3's - apart from more bass (which is true because I auditoned the 1.1's before getting a pair of 1.3's).

I suppose there isn't much between the 1.3's and 1.8's besides more bass (and greater power-handling). The extra drivers and extra bottom octaves on the 1.8's have made a difference for me. Everything sounds more 'together'.

Sony6million

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
United Kingdom
Its crossed my mind Paul plenty of times. But I can't really sell it until it is functioning properly, and even then with its chequered past not many will want it. Its been replaced by a new model so the price will drop even more.:roll:I'm on the llokout or a nice thick rug at the minute
biggrin.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles