John Shearne amplifiers

smegger68

With your sister, somewhere you wouldn't like.
Wammer
Jan 18, 2006
Bridgend
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bought a John Shearne Phase 3 power amp on the Devil auction site today. I've fancied trying one for a while.... see how it compares to my Audion and also in biamping the bass with it. I know some members have had these amps in the past... what were your impressions? Did I do OK for £171? Prices seem to be hardening up on these, they used to go for less I recall... :roll:

mmar

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 16, 2008
North east
AKA
mick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Quality amps I've owned the phase 2 integrated as well as the phase 5 monos and phase 6 pre.

Wonderfull solid state amps at that price I'm sure you will be more than happy

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was thinking of bidding on that, but I've already got a pre and an integrated on the way courtesy of eBay.

I was kind of put off by their reputation for a "warm and smooth" kind of sound, which is not usually my cup of char - I'll be most interested in what you think of it, James. :^ ... and maybe I'll form a queue if you reckon it's on the livelier side! :)

... £171? - seems to me you got a bargain.

Dave Decadent

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 6, 2012
Birmingham
Quality amps I've owned the phase 2 integrated as well as the phase 5 monos and phase 6 pre. Wonderfull solid state amps at that price I'm sure you will be more than happy
Many years ago I purchased the Phase 2 integrated 2nd hand. Within a few months of light use it packed up when smoke and sparks started pouring from it!! It took the bass driver of one of my speakers with it!! Posted it to JS for repair but they wanted to charge considerably more than I paid for it. Told em where they could stick it.

C

CarlBkk

Must have been many years ago...JS has been out of business for a couple of decades I think.

sonichit

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2010
bottom end
I had one of the first phase 2 amplifiers the one with the heat sinks on the back I loved it.

This amp was the stepping stone into valve life for me so pleased I brought it as its been hifi fun from then on!!!

wynniaj

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 20, 2013
Sussex
AKA
Jonny
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have had mine from new and still use them everyday, they are lovely things but...they are not particularly powerful and don't like low impedance -so try and stay with (relatively) efficient and benign speakers. Bass is not the most extended, however the mid range is very sweet and voices in particular come across very well. Let us know how you get on

mmar

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 16, 2008
North east
AKA
mick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was thinking of bidding on that, but I've already got a pre and an integrated on the way courtesy of eBay.I was kind of put off by their reputation for a "warm and smooth" kind of sound, which is not usually my cup of char - I'll be most interested in what you think of it, James. :^ ... and maybe I'll form a queue if you reckon it's on the livelier side! :)

... £171? - seems to me you got a bargain.
Nothing overly warm or syrupy very much quality solid state been fast transparent with good frequently response top to bottom, good dynamics and grip the phase 5 s by there nature offered far better driving ability than the phase 2

They do share some valve traits in respect they are very musical with superb open insightful midrange with very little harshness or grain to the top end

If they have enough pizzaz for you jerry will be in the listening certainly amps a box swapper shouldn't miss trying

mmar

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 16, 2008
North east
AKA
mick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Must have been many years ago...JS has been out of business for a couple of decades I think.
think the phase 7 cd player was the last shearne product manafactured around 15 years ago

Muddy Funster

Wammer
Wammer
May 23, 2007
Ambridge
AKA
Ed Grundy
IIRC John Shearne was TdP's sales rep for a while, and even after he left EAR, they remained friends, and Tim designed him a circuit or two. I had a Phase One pre/power for a long time, and bloody excellent it was too.

It was a shame he started up the business in the middle of a slump and his amps never quite got the traction they deserved. And too many people judged them unfavourably because of the blue marbled front panels - too bling, too soon.

Enjoy it.

smegger68

Wammer
Jan 18, 2006
Bridgend
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Got it back today (after a nightmare journey in the snow & ice over the top of Bwlch mountain - bloody sat navs!) and installed it in the system doing bass duty in place of my Alesis RA-150. Initial impressions are of less deep and driving bass, but with much more texture and realism. I'll try it out like that for a while and then on it's own to see how well it does on mids and highs in comparison to my Audion. Will report back :)

smegger68

Wammer
Jan 18, 2006
Bridgend
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well now... I had left the Shearne powered up overnight to see if it would help stabilize the circuit, it having been stored for a few years according to the vendor. Seems this helped a LOT - there is now oodles of bass, and it's not shy with it either! Just played some of the new remix of Rush's Vapor Trails album on vinyl.... it fairly tore my face off. The drums were physically assaulting me. A switch to Talking Heads Stop Making Sense album confirmed that I have a bit of an animal on my hands! Have to say I wasn't expecting this at all from what I had read about these amps, but hearing is believing. I suspect the Decca/Croft/MingDa combo is pushing this side of things, but even with CD it seems to kick quite hard. More updates as they happen!

mmar

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 16, 2008
North east
AKA
mick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Be interesting to know your thoughts how you think it compares to the audion in a full range comparison

Have a hunch you will pleasantly surprised!

M

MJ.

Loved my Phase 2 Ref integrated (Black fascia, not marbled blue). As has been said, a little smooth and valve like, in as much as not your typical English (midband forward) presentation but not overly so. Enough bass and attack / dynamics but again, not overly so.

Very slightly on the smooth and warm side and well integrated across the frequency band would be my description.

mmar

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 16, 2008
North east
AKA
mick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Agree the phase 2 is a fab sounding amp anyone who liked it and get the opertunity of trying something like the phase 5 monos or ref 1 power amp you won't be disappointed

Nigel in Kent

Wammer
New Wammer
Feb 28, 2014
Kent
AKA
Nigel Grant
Shearne's ex-engineer built my 2003 Shearne Phase 2 integrated amp, Phase 3 power amp + CD player for me a few years after the company folded. Music and spoken voice through my Harbeth C7s are wonderful. Fine sound, solid, very tidy build and excellent value. I can't imagine I'll own a better system.

mojojojo

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 2, 2009
glasgow, , United Ki
AKA
Arch
I had the phase 2 & 3 ref amps.missed them after I upgraded ? To naim 282/250 combo.It was a shame the company folded.Wonder what happened to john.Seemed a really nice guy

Nigel in Kent

Wammer
New Wammer
Feb 28, 2014
Kent
AKA
Nigel Grant
I had the phase 2 & 3 ref amps.missed them after I upgraded ? To naim 282/250 combo.It was a shame the company folded.Wonder what happened to john.Seemed a really nice guy
JS was the salesman, I believe. After the company folded, the designer and builder (a friend of a friend) made my post-production pre/power, extra power amp, CD player, and speaker leads. Been making great music for over 10 years.

Frizzy brizzy

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 3, 2013
New forest
AKA
Laurie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think unfortunately hi fi start ups like restaurants have a high failure rate? Having said that js made a fair fist of it, lasted a fair time in a bear market.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles