Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I remember my uncle telling me , you should never force a tool , whether it be a saw , drill , router or plane .. if you’re having to apply pressure it needs sharpening or replacing ..
The right tool for the right job makes everything so much easier ..
To be honest a decent saw is cheap as chips , they’re not worth the time to sharpen them like they did in times gone by .

Reactions: newlash09

Steve H

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 29, 2012
South Northants
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
City & Guilds in carpentry and joinery, and worked on building sites as a carpenter for 20 years.

Carpentry is a bit different to joinery though. A joiner makes the doors, windows, skirting board etc, and a carpenter fits them. Although the jobs do overlap on occasion. I've made gates and windows on site before, but that's very rare.

I wish I had a nice, big workshop for making speakers. It's not much fun making them in the garden.
Thanks for explaining the difference between the two trades. My response to the original question is, I learned some at College and worked as an aprentice in a woodworking place in Northampton twenty years ago. More recently I have learned a lot by watching other woodworkers on You Tube.
Just adding that if you want to learn how to make cabinets acuratly for speakers or amps etc then it's worth buying some cheap MDF sheet or using scraps to practise cutting acuratly. A TSO square and a quality track saw will come in handy.

The best speaker builder I have come accross so far is Troels, worth reading all his speakers building tips on his website
troelsgravesen.dk/tips.htm

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.