JVC DD TT DIY base

soupdragon

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 18, 2006
Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
here are some pics of istaris, jvc moddled to a 2006 spec !

many thanks to murray, uncle ants, istari knight for ideas, thoughts etc

its a sort ofNordic conceptbase for a DD TT

the arm is a hadcock 242 SE, an arm which proverbially floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee, very well suited to high torque DD.

liam

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
heh - bet that sounds ferkin' sweet!
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif
:^
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
:shock:

Didn't realise you'd go that far when I said the arm and plinth would probably be the weak links - mucho respect!!

love the Eclipse amp and speakers too!

soupdragon

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 18, 2006
Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
cheers russell, twas a labour of love.

the materials didnt cost that much really, 30 quid for the 3, 6mmalu plates cut to laser tolerances of 0.25mmand a 2445mm x 1225mm sheet of 9mm furniture grade finnish ply. Ireused the original feet, bolts and screws, just transplanted the deck into a new base, the alu plates give the exact geometry for the hadcock arm, pivot to TT centre.

the hard work and time is getting the exact measurements from the original in situ deck to 'imagine' it into another base, thereafter a bit of CAD for the alu plates, use them as a template for the ply and well bobs your uncle.

i would guess most DD are fair game for this sort of venture, as the drive and electronics tend to remain within the circumference of the TT, its a matter of calculating how much 'lip' you can let the TT sit on/into on the base you'll create, the JVC was good because it has an upper fixingon the 'top ply' allowing you toscrew self tapping screws, underneath has 4 long studs with bolts and washers underneath to firmly secure the whole job from the bottom as well, so its VERY secure and solid. The weight and stiffness of the ply and alu glued/sandwiched/and compressed isolates it beautifully, the old JVC feet have a lovely rubbery top which screws into/through the chassis so absorbsany minimal resonance and allows you to accurately level the top.

All in all a very satisfying project! i could never have used the original base it was just TOO big - this is fooking solid, more so than the original,and is one of a kind !I tried her with a hifi test record and she got to level 5 without a murmer, shes that good !

if anyone wants to copy her feel free, it really is very cheap to do if you can get some time in a good wood working dept !

Liam

M

murray johnson

Looks tremendous Liam. Congrats. Would love to hear it.

DD RULES!

Eds1000

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 22, 2006
Nice one --i love diy projects, -especially tt's,

You mentioned in another recent thread the beni's of dd turntables.

the drive systems make them great for diy variants.

heres my unfinished twin dual 701 drive motor project-using mahogany & sheet resin. I'm going to try a variety of armboards.One day this will be finished, i need a workshop again though.

regards.

DSCN0429.jpg

chezi61

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Fife , Scotland.
Mucho respec' . Both you dudes must have the patience of a Saint.

Only DIY I do is on a small(ish) CNC or conversational lathe , turning small metal bits. If I were to try this kinda shit I would have smashed the feckir with an Estwing , I wouldhave boughtto "finish" :lmao:the job.

Good goin' guys.

chezi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles