Linn Owners

Klimax Hub Or Wait For The Future Organik DAC Boards For Akurate Speakers and Exaktboxes

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Linn has presented a compelling choice, with the release of the new Klimax Hub/DSM’s, and the potential future upgrade Organik DAC boards for Akurate speakers and Exaktboxes.

‘What will bring the greatest improvement in sound quality, and how to prioritize the next potential future upgrades?

I have heard the new Klimax DSM/A/V as the source for a pair of Katalyst 350’s, and then heard the Organik DAC’s installed in the same pair of 350’s. I have also brought the Klimax DSM A/V home and installed it in my system, as well as a friend’s PMC Fact8 Signatures driven by a pair of Solos. In all cases, the music was stunning.

I now have an opinion as to what I believe will bring the most improvements to my Linn system.

‘I had a discussion with another Forum member the other day who has purchased  the new Klimax Hub, as well as installed the new Organik DAC boards into his 350’s, and we are in agreement as to what brings the most to the party.

‘IMHO, we believe the Klimax Hub brings a subjective 75% improvement to sound quality, and the Organik DAC’s bring an additional 25% 

Both upgrades are going to be substantial, but I think the Klimax Hub/DSM gives the biggest improvement.

If I do a future upgrade, it will almost certainly be to focus on purchasing the new Klimax Hub for my system first, and then I will revisit the Organik DAC boards as the next future upgrade. 😊🎶🎵

glevethan

Wammer
Jun 7, 2021
NY
AKA
Gregg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Any further updates/speculation as to Organik updates for current KDS/3 owners?

Since moving last year to a dCS Rossini/Clock in my Naim 552/500 system my KDS/3 has been relegated to a secondary headphone only system in my bedroom. I have been toying with the idea of trading in for the new version however logic and common sense dictate an upgrade board if it were to be made available. After all the KDS/3 is now in a secondary system.

And no - my dCS Rossini will not be replaced.  While my KDS has kept me happy since 2011, in /1, /2, and/3 versions - I am quite happy with my change to dCS and the Rossini.  Quite a few fellow Naim and Linn owners have made the same journey. 

Best

Gregg

Reactions: maddog_007

dubber

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 24, 2008
Ireland
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Any further updates/speculation as to Organik updates for current KDS/3 owners?

Since moving last year to a dCS Rossini/Clock in my Naim 552/500 system my KDS/3 has been relegated to a secondary headphone only system in my bedroom. I have been toying with the idea of trading in for the new version however logic and common sense dictate an upgrade board if it were to be made available. After all the KDS/3 is now in a secondary system.

And no - my dCS Rossini will not be replaced.  While my KDS has kept me happy since 2011, in /1, /2, and/3 versions - I am quite happy with my change to dCS and the Rossini.  Quite a few fellow Naim and Linn owners have made the same journey. 

Best

Gregg
From reading posts on this forum, it seems like it's 12-18 months away, and may just be the DAC and not the clock/streaming components ...which if correct, and the OP's sense of "25%" translates to the DS3, it may not be a logical upgrade!?

Last edited by a moderator:

highfidelityhigh

Wammer
New Wammer
Jun 28, 2014
If it’s true that it’s the Hub that brings 75% of the improvement, then that makes me wonder if it’s better to have an all Linn Exakt system?

For example, I have recently acquired a pair of 520s to go with my KDSM/1, and I am the most satisfied I have ever been with the music they make. And that’s not even with Katalyst DACs.

But what I am wondering is, how does a new KDSM/AV model compare, if one were to use the internal Organik DACs into external power amps, and your passive speaker of choice?

I understand that the 5 series had all new drivers designed in order to work well with Exakt, so they can be enjoyed even without a Katalyst upgrade. But what happens to all the existing Exakt Akubarik users out there? Do they get a Hub, and wait to for Organik DAC upgrades to replace their Katalyst boards?

Or will Linn introduce new speakers, for example Exakt Series 6, with new drivers designed to take advantage of the latest developments, possibly incorporating Organik DAC boards? I know that would get me very interested.

Oh for a crystal ball!

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
But what happens to all the existing Exakt Akubarik users out there? Do they get a Hub, and wait to for Organik DAC upgrades to replace their Katalyst boards?
Yes. This is what I will be doing.

Also, as far as Linn's technologies go, I rank them in order of sonic impact as follows; Exakt, Space Optimisation, Katalyst.

Last edited:
Reactions: LSPC

Flatcoat

Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
The new hub with my 530s is the biggest upgrade I have ever experienced in over 40 yrs of Linn ownership.  I plan to replace the 530s with Akubarik exakt katalyst and keep fingers crossed that Organik will be an option in the future.  

My guess is that Linn will bring out a new Exakt Organik speaker sometime in the future but It will be expensive.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If it’s true that it’s the Hub that brings 75% of the improvement, then that makes me wonder if it’s better to have an all Linn Exakt system?

For example, I have recently acquired a pair of 520s to go with my KDSM/1, and I am the most satisfied I have ever been with the music they make. And that’s not even with Katalyst DACs.

But what I am wondering is, how does a new KDSM/AV model compare, if one were to use the internal Organik DACs into external power amps, and your passive speaker of choice?

I understand that the 5 series had all new drivers designed in order to work well with Exakt, so they can be enjoyed even without a Katalyst upgrade. But what happens to all the existing Exakt Akubarik users out there? Do they get a Hub, and wait to for Organik DAC upgrades to replace their Katalyst boards?

Or will Linn introduce new speakers, for example Exakt Series 6, with new drivers designed to take advantage of the latest developments, possibly incorporating Organik DAC boards? I know that would get me very interested.

Oh for a crystal ball!
My suggestion of 75% of the improvements are with the Klimax Hub is subjective, as it a number that is hard to quantify, but I am in full agreement with my fellow Linn owner who has both the Klimax Hub and the Organik DAC boards installed in his 350’s that the Klimax Hub bring a much bigger improvement than the Organik DAC’s alone.

‘I did bring the new Klimax DSM A/V over to a friend’s who has PMC Fact8 Signature speakers driven by Solos, and the sound quality was superb. The Organik DAC’s made a huge improvement over his Akurate DSM/3 with Katalyst DAC’s

‘I think you would find a substantial improvement in sound quality if you were to use a Klimax Hub to be your source for your 530’s.

Rumours are out there that Linn will introduce new speakers 

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
‘I think you would find a substantial improvement in sound quality if you were to use a Klimax DSM A/V to be your source for your 530’s, as the Organik DAC’s would be a fantastic improvement compared to no Katalyst or Organik DAC’s.
Sorry Paul, but the 530's have built-in DAC's and wouldn't profit from the Organik. But nevertheless the 530's would profit from a NGKSDM Hub.

highfidelityhigh

Wammer
New Wammer
Jun 28, 2014
My suggestion of 75% of the improvements are with the Klimax Hub is subjective, as it a number that is hard to quantify, but I am in full agreement with my fellow Linn owner who has both the Klimax Hub and the Organik DAC boards installed in his 350’s that the Klimax Hub bring a much bigger improvement than the Organik DAC’s alone.

‘I did bring the new Klimax DSM A/V over to a friend’s who has PMC Fact8 Signature speakers driven by Solos, and the sound quality was superb. The Organik DAC’s made a huge improvement over his Akurate DSM/3 with Katalyst DAC’s

‘I think you would find a substantial improvement in sound quality if you were to use a Klimax DSM A/V to be your source for your 530’s, as the Organik DAC’s would be a fantastic improvement compared to no Katalyst or Organik DAC’s.

Rumours are out there that Linn will introduce new speakers 
Surely though, the Organik DAC in the KDSM doesnt get used when hooked up to the Series 5 speakers?

Flatcoat

Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Using a Klimax DSM A/V with 530s would be a huge waste of money.  The Organik part which effectively retails at £15 k would not be used.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry Paul, but the 530's have built-in DAC's and wouldn't profit from the Organik. But nevertheless the 530's would profit from a NGKSDM Hub.
Surely though, the Organik DAC in the KDSM doesnt get used when hooked up to the Series 5 speakers?
Using a Klimax DSM A/V with 530s would be a huge waste of money.  The Organik part which effectively retails at £15 k would not be used.
Sorry guys, you are correct. I was distracted when I posted.  🤪

‘I was thinking of my recent experiences with the Klimax DSM A/V in my system and what an incredible improvement it made in my system, even with my Katalyst DAC’s in my Akubariks.

I have made an edit to my post above.

Yes, the Klimax Hub would be a substantial improvement for the 530’s, as it would be for most systems

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Klimax Hub wouldn’t be helpful for a non-Exakt HiFi system
Is the hub usable  in a non-Exakt system? I think by referencing the hub, you are automatically talking about Exakt systems. My point being that the hub should improve all (Exakt) systems that it is used in. Just semantics, Paul. Or Canadian vs English.

’troll

• Upvote
Reactions: TooManyCatweazles

36 hours

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I haven’t seen any reference to Linn providing an HDMI 2.1. board or an Atmos capable surround board. This year’s TVs/app versions use both, so any AV version of the hub or full fat DSM will require both before I jump. Otherwise I’d wait for the speaker upgrade to be ready then demo the lot and see how the whole package come together.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The new hub with my 530s is the biggest upgrade I have ever experienced in over 40 yrs of Linn ownership.  I plan to replace the 530s with Akubarik exakt katalyst and keep fingers crossed that Organik will be an option in the future.  
Word from multiple dealers is about 24 months until Organik is made available for the Akubariks. I also made the step up from 530s to Akubariks, expensive but well worth it.

Craigas

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
‘IMHO, we believe the Klimax Hub brings a subjective 75% improvement to sound quality, and the Organik DAC’s bring an additional 25% 

Both upgrades are going to be substantial, but I think the Klimax Hub/DSM gives the biggest improvement.

If I do a future upgrade, it will almost certainly be to focus on purchasing the new Klimax Hub for my system first, and then I will revisit the Organik DAC boards as the next future upgrade. 😊🎶🎵
Are you convinced of this Paul, or is there a risk you "want" the major improvement to be with the Klimax hub as this is the more affordable or favorable upgrade path for your system, maybe that last 2%? 🤗

Craigas

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
I was hoping the 75 / 25 would be the other way around as this completely favors my upgrade path, waiting for Organik for my Dorks.

I also heard from my Linn dealer in Ontario, that he felt the Organik upgrade on his 350s was more significant than the Katalyst upgrade. As point of note he had Katalyst Akudoriks, prior.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles