Linn Owners

Klimax Hub Or Wait For The Future Organik DAC Boards For Akurate Speakers and Exaktboxes

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Are you convinced of this Paul, or is there a risk you "want" the major improvement to be with the Klimax hub as this is the more affordable or favorable upgrade path for your system, maybe that last 2%? 🤗
Well, the best suggestion I have is that you and I book an appointment at the Linn dealer and you take a listen to the Klimax DSM A/V with the Organik DAC 350’s

‘I can probably arrange that we take the Klimax DSM to your home for the weekend to run in your system. 

I do believe you will be astonished.  😀

Eldarboy

Classicist
Wammer
Oct 15, 2018
Hamilton, ON, Canada
AKA
Lewis Silvestri
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have just auditioned the new Klimax hub with a pair of Katalyst “Aktiv” Akubariks: I am familiar with their sound signature through Paul’s, and they still have some 242 in them.

I will be moving out and living in a large cardboard box that once housed my neighbors’ refrigerator so that I can afford to purchase a hub in two years or so😂😂

Everything reported about it is understated.

Many thanks to Chris at Elite Audio’s Kleinburg location for the safe, comfortable and welcoming experience.

This Klimax is definitely on my radar and in my long term (1-2 year) upgrade plan😳😵‍💫😆👍🥳🥳

vicjayl

vicjayl
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
west midlands, UK
AKA
Vic
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You're not helping me keep my excitable level of anticipation under control Eldarboy!  I'm only in week 5 of the quoted 10 to 12 weeks wait for the delivery of mine!  Talk about Uncle Karl's commodity fetishism!

• Haha
Reactions: Eldarboy

TooManyCatweazles

Vinyl Junkie with a DSM
Wammer
Jan 16, 2019
Northern Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Linn has presented a compelling choice, with the release of the new Klimax Hub/DSM’s, and the potential future upgrade Organik DAC boards for Akurate speakers and Exaktboxes.

‘What will bring the greatest improvement in sound quality, and how to prioritize the next potential future upgrades?

I have heard the new Klimax DSM/A/V as the source for a pair of Katalyst 350’s, and then heard the Organik DAC’s installed in the same pair of 350’s. I have also brought the Klimax DSM A/V home and installed it in my system, as well as a friend’s PMC Fact8 Signatures driven by a pair of Solos. In all cases, the music was stunning.

I now have an opinion as to what I believe will bring the most improvements to my Linn system.

‘I had a discussion with another Forum member the other day who has purchased  the new Klimax Hub, as well as installed the new Organik DAC boards into his 350’s, and we are in agreement as to what brings the most to the party.

‘IMHO, we believe the Klimax Hub brings a subjective 75% improvement to sound quality, and the Organik DAC’s bring an additional 25% 

Both upgrades are going to be substantial, but I think the Klimax Hub/DSM gives the biggest improvement.

If I do a future upgrade, it will almost certainly be to focus on purchasing the new Klimax Hub for my system first, and then I will revisit the Organik DAC boards as the next future upgrade. 😊🎶🎵
Thx for sharing this, Paul  I followed this way of thinking for some time, and talked to my dealer that we need to investigate into the new hubs effect on the overall result. He promised to give me a call, when he's able to do this kind of demo. Maybe he forgot, or things are stuck in customs. Anyway, I'm pretty much occupied by other things these days. Looks like we need to make adjustments to the game plan at halftime 😉

Reactions: Paulssurround

vicjayl

vicjayl
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
west midlands, UK
AKA
Vic
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Now in week 7 of the quoted 10 - 12 week wait, and almost salivating.  Mind you, the Klimax Hub (2018) is delivering some amazing sounds in its stand-in role. I'm taking on trust the reports of how much better the NGKDSM is of course, not being able to demo it.   But then, over the years, Linn's claims, supported by Forum members' reports have always delivered for me.  Exciting!

The Twins

The Twins (John & Peter)
Wammer
Oct 7, 2020
Dumbarton, Scotland
AKA
J & P Douglas
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Now in week 7 of the quoted 10 - 12 week wait, and almost salivating.  Mind you, the Klimax Hub (2018) is delivering some amazing sounds in its stand-in role. I'm taking on trust the reports of how much better the NGKDSM is of course, not being able to demo it.   But then, over the years, Linn's claims, supported by Forum members' reports have always delivered for me.  Exciting!
We are in almost exactly the same position as yourself except our present Klimax Hub is the very latest (last) model just provided from Linn in May.  Our NGKDSM is also due in August. So we are all waiting in great anticipation.

By the way we wonder if we (identical twins) at now 84 years old are the oldest Linn fans awaiting this new experience in sound?

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Linn has presented a compelling choice, with the release of the new Klimax Hub/DSM’s, and the potential future upgrade Organik DAC boards for Akurate speakers and Exaktboxes.

‘What will bring the greatest improvement in sound quality, and how to prioritize the next potential future upgrades?

I have heard the new Klimax DSM/A/V as the source for a pair of Katalyst 350’s, and then heard the Organik DAC’s installed in the same pair of 350’s. I have also brought the Klimax DSM A/V home and installed it in my system, as well as a friend’s PMC Fact8 Signatures driven by a pair of Solos. In all cases, the music was stunning.

I now have an opinion as to what I believe will bring the most improvements to my Linn system.

‘I had a discussion with another Forum member the other day who has purchased  the new Klimax Hub, as well as installed the new Organik DAC boards into his 350’s, and we are in agreement as to what brings the most to the party.

‘IMHO, we believe the Klimax Hub brings a subjective 75% improvement to sound quality, and the Organik DAC’s bring an additional 25% 

Both upgrades are going to be substantial, but I think the Klimax Hub/DSM gives the biggest improvement.

If I do a future upgrade, it will almost certainly be to focus on purchasing the new Klimax Hub for my system first, and then I will revisit the Organik DAC boards as the next future upgrade. 😊🎶🎵
I just found this thread I posted back in June and reread it.

‘I did buy a new 2018 variant Klimax Hub after all, and I think it was an excellent choice

Let’s see what happens next ….

Mark57

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Just to add to the mix, following an interesting dem (and chat) of ADSM vs KDSM into active Akubariks with Colin Macey at What you See and Hear, I have just gone for a new Klimax Hub, trading in my ADSM.  No surprise the Klimax sounds miles better of course. Probably the smart value choice would have been a late version ‘old’ Klimax like Paul went for, but I decided to go with the new style and get it done with.

FWIW Colin also thought Organik for Akubariks would be unlikely before 2023, and not guaranteed even then.  This is fortunate because it will take at least until then for my bank balance to recover from the shock.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just found this thread I posted back in June and reread it.

‘I did buy a new 2018 variant Klimax Hub after all, and I think it was an excellent choice

Let’s see what happens next ….
I traded in my AEDSM when I bought my Klimax Hub recently, and it just showed up on Canuck Audio Mart for sale for £925/€1108

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649811858-linn-akurate-exakt-dsm150000/

Could be a bargain for someone looking for a mint condition Akurate Hub for Exakt music streaming.

Reactions: maddog_007

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
By the way we wonder if we (identical twins) at now 84 years old are the oldest Linn fans awaiting this new experience in sound?
My dad has no twin, and he will definitely not be trading his beloved Linn Classik in for anything involving a streaming system - BUT - he is 93 years old and did move on his Axis this year and replace it with an LP12!

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Dasher that’s excellent! I hope he enjoys it for many years to come.

’troll
He certainly intends to! I never really thought that he would part with his Axis as it has been around for what seems forever. When I was restoring my 1973 LP12 I asked him if he wanted it - unsurprisingly he said 'no' but then surprisingly did say he would have a more modern one if I was to source and build it for him! "Modern" is relative! The one that I put together started life as a 1980 one - the plinth, top plate, motor and base are original, rebuilt Valhalla, a Cirkus bearing and subchassis that are some years old but were mine from new and no issues, the lid and Akito 2 (Scotland one) from his Axis (he nicked the Akito from me many years ago, the original Basik+ lives on in someone else's LP12) and a new AT VM95e. It does sound very nice for minimal outlay. He will be getting a 95ML stylus for his 94th birthday! He's spent the last six months tapping a rich vein of very low cost DG Classical Vinyl off eBay and getting huge enjoyment from doing so!

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Linn has presented a compelling choice, with the release of the new Klimax Hub/DSM’s, and the potential future upgrade Organik DAC boards for Akurate speakers and Exaktboxes.

I have heard the new Klimax DSM/A/V as the source for a pair of Katalyst 350’s, and then heard the Organik DAC’s installed in the same pair of 350’s. I have also brought the Klimax DSM A/V home and installed it in my system, as well as a friend’s PMC Fact8 Signatures driven by a pair of Solos. In all cases, the music was stunning.

I now have an opinion as to what I believe will bring the most improvements to my Linn system.

‘I had a discussion with another Forum member the other day who has purchased the new Klimax Hub, as well as installed the new Organik DAC boards into his 350’s, and we are in agreement as to what brings the most to the party.

I forgot about this thread that I posted last year

It seems I opted for the NGKSH after all 😊

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles