Linn Owners

Klimax Renew DS0 ? what next ?

Keefa NZ

New Wammer
Jun 29, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi All,

I have a Kilmax Renew DS0, (2007) and I am looking into the future upgrade path,

Is a Akurate DS2 better that a Klimax DS0 ? Or a Majik DS2 ?

I am not looking at DSM or Exakt .

I have an Akurate Kontrol, AV5125, M140 and may go Aktiv with another AV5125

Opinions Please :)

Thanks

axe

Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Portsmouth
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd try to stretch to an Akurate DS/3 (Katalyst) or at the very least a Klimax Renew DS/1.

Am in a similar position with a Klimax Renew DS/1 and waiting for Klimax DS/3 (Katalyst) prices to drop further.

Reactions: Keefa NZ and Imseti

Imseti

Menmaatre Seti I
Wammer Plus
Feb 16, 2022
Gloucestershire
AKA
Seti I
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd try to stretch to an Akurate DS/3 (Katalyst) or at the very least a Klimax Renew DS/1.

Am in a similar position with a Klimax Renew DS/1 and waiting for Klimax DS/3 (Katalyst) prices to drop further.
I totally agree in his situation and requirements.

A Klimax Renew DS/1 would be a very affordable solution and is a massive improvement over the /0 board. Extremely good value for money s/h these days.

I upgraded years ago to a /1 from a /0 and it was an astounding upgrade.

Ben Webster

System doesn‘t matter - if you have mine
Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think it depends if you only want to have one upgrade (than go to the Renew way) or if you want still have the opportunity for further upgrades - at least Organik (than Klimax is the way to go).

Last edited:

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Can we look two or four steps you the road? Are you abso-super-duper-lutely sure you don't want Exakt?

Last edited:

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I'm not sure that I'd go this way. I have a KRDS/1, Kisto, 5125, Espek (active) in one system and an Akurate System Hub with Akurate Exaktbox-i Katalyst in a second system. The KRDS/1 is simply a better streamer - Katalyst brings Akurate closer but the KRDS/1 is an extremely good piece of kit. I also have a Majik DSM/2 - nice player but it doesn't compare to an Akurate above ADS/1.

My route, if I wanted to take it further at a future date,would be to go for a KDS/1 and then go for a Katalyst upgrade down the line (or save your pennies until you can go for a KDS/1 with Katalyst.

Last edited:
Reactions: Imseti and Keefa NZ

dubber

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 24, 2008
Ireland
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is there really that much difference between a Renew DS0 with dynamik and a Renew DS1? I had understood the main difference to be some beefed up output transformers? Equally, I had thought the jump to DS2 was small, as its main benefit was Exakt?

Imseti

Menmaatre Seti I
Wammer Plus
Feb 16, 2022
Gloucestershire
AKA
Seti I
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is there really that much difference between a Renew DS0 with dynamik and a Renew DS1? I had understood the main difference to be some beefed up output transformers? Equally, I had thought the jump to DS2 was small, as its main benefit was Exakt?
The improvement of the /1 board over the /0 is very large. I had my KDS/0 upgraded to /1 as soon as my dealer did a home-dem. Marvellous!

The /2 board is one of the worst upgrades Linn ever released unless you need the Exakt links. A poster on the old Linn forum compared a /1 to a /2 at home and he and his friends could not tell which was better. The consensus amongst many (except dealers on the old Linn forum) was that it was a waste of money unless you needed the Exakt links.

Last edited:

dubber

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 24, 2008
Ireland
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The improvement of the /1 board over the /0 is very large. I had my KDS/0 upgraded to /1 as soon as my dealer did a home-dem. Marvellous!

The /2 board is one of the worst upgrades Linn ever released unless you need the Exakt links. A poster on the old Linn forum compared a /1 to a /2 at home and he and his friends could not tell which was better. The consensus amongst many (except dealers on the old Linn forum) was that it was a waste of money unless you needed the Exakt links.
Did your DS0 have Dynamik? Just wondering how much of the improvement was the board and how much was the power supply?

Imseti

Menmaatre Seti I
Wammer Plus
Feb 16, 2022
Gloucestershire
AKA
Seti I
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Did your DS0 have Dynamik? Just wondering how much of the improvement was the board and how much was the power supply?
Yes, my KDS/0 came with Dynamik factory installed, so the /1 board upgrade kept the original Dynamik.

The Dynamik is some improvement on sources, but where it's absolutely brilliant in no uncertain terms is in power-amps.

If you get a KRDS/0 or /1. it will have a Dynamik PS as Linn supplied your new Renew (if you chose to have it) in a cheap case with Dynamik as part of the package.

The significant improvement is therefore down to the /1 board Dynamik over the /0 board with Dynamik.

Last edited:

Keefa NZ

New Wammer
Jun 29, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well Thank you all :)
The Renew DS/1 listed in the link above has now made its way to my house in New Zealand...
Yes, its a noticeable improvement over the Renew DS/0 .

I am over the moon, :)

Next stop some Chakra amps to aktiv the M140's

Thanks Everyone ...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles