Linn Owners

Klimax Twin x2 to Klimax Solo x4 Power Amp Upgrade (both newest version Dynamik etc)

hashluck

Wammer
Jan 9, 2022
United Kingdom
www.rlaliquemascots.com
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Twin vs Solo subject has been discussed a few times on here previously but often with non-Dynamik Solo vs Dynamik Twin etc. whereas this was an upgrade between latest production versions.

My current system and journey so far is detailed under 'Show Us Your Linn System' posted earlier today but in summary, I had within the last 12 months made several upgrades to my system to include Linn DSM/3 NGKSH System Hub, Organik Upgrade to existing Klimax Exaktbox, Klimax Twin Power Amps x2 and Kudos Titan 707 Speakers.

I was more than happy. The system looked great and sounded superb.

By chance I was reading up one day last December on Klimax components and began to appreciate that the Klimax Solo was something a bit special in terms of design and not just half a Twin in a box. Also by chance and if by fate Linn also announced an imminent price rise to a number that for the Solo at least was going to put it way out of reach (I had already considered the previous price out of reach hence the choice of Twins, but I realised it was now or never for me on Solos to order ahead of the price rise - I had also long since given up on finding used Solos in black, with Dynamik and binding posts so it had to be a new order).

Kudos to my dealer Ripcaster setting up a demo for me emulating my system and the same with Solos over the Christmas break. These were in fact used non-Dynamik Solos but that was good as it was a sort of worst case Solo scenario and there was enough improvement there as it was to warrant pushing the button just before the deadline on 4 new amps.

A 5 month delivery wait gave me time to save up and thanks again to Jon at Ripcaster to come out on a UK Bank Holiday yesterday to install so I could run them in and enjoy them over the long weekend.

As it turned out no burn-in was really required, the differences were obvious out of the box.

So how is it? I have no words, but I will try...

"It is bloody awesome!"

If I had one previous criticism of my system (and not sure if it was components or room) it was that it was a little 2-D, particlarly with lead vocalists who would sit somewhere back in the mix in with the band/musicians rather than front and centre.

Immediately this went away with a 3-D scenario and vocalist front and centre (and this I had noted in the demo at Ripcaster so this was good to have it happen at home also). This is itself opened everything up. Years ago it was a revelation to realise there were, say, 3 rather than 2 backing vocalists but now each had their very own presence and you could sense them in the room and their height rather than just hearing disembodied voices. Where the bass player is standing and stlye of playing and many subtle little things each musician is doing behind the main act at the time. This is all stuff you hear every time you do a major upgrade and it seems impossible it could be moved on further. It can.

There are also a number of tracks that I have enjoyed over the years but found challenging and I was confused as to what was going on or why. Now I am no longer confused. Some things I did not know what the instrument was I now hear it is a human noise, percussive elements are now separated out and very apparent the item use and whether shaken or stirred or hit.

All in all, marvellous - not in a rediscover your music collection sort of way but enjoy it way more if that was possible. It is.

Very happy.

Any cons?

Yes

- this is not a value for money conversation. This is a very expensive upgrade and a non-linear scale of improvement. If you want value for money make sure you are using a £60 optical Ethernet set up into your next gen Klimax DSM/3 if you are lucky enough to have one.

- whereas the Klimax Twins never broke sweat or got even warm to the touch, the Solos are running hot (but they have been playing music now for 24 hours straight). My current installation has them stacked 2 by 2 Bass and Treble pairs (with Linn's blessing). After about 4 hours the fan on the uppermost amp came on, as it is designed to do to cool the casework. It is very noisy and serious listening is not possible with it running. It goes off again after a short while (the time it takes for a comfort break or to get a drink) so not a huge deal. My normal listening sessions are from cold and less than 4 hours so I hope in real world usage this will not be an issue for me. If it is, we have a Plan B which is to add two more shelves to my rack which is purely an aethsetic consideration for me but I will do if required. I knew it might be an issue. Wish Linn had found some silent fans but on the other hand I suppose it is good to know you are pushing things a little.

- the blue power LEDs are not consistent (I have 3 which are and 1 which is a little dimmer, it happens to be the lowest amp so you can convince yourself it is the viewing angle but you cannot tell it is on). Linn should really sort this out (as well as allowing you to turn the rear LEDs on the Exaktbox off)!

Hope you found this useful.

Last edited:

loogiefi

Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
London
AKA
Noil Porter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Twin vs Solo subject has been discussed a few times on here previously but often with non-Dynamik Solo vs Dynamik Twin etc. whereas this was an upgrade between latest production versions.

My current system and journey so far is detailed under 'Show Us Your Linn System' posted earlier today but in summary, I had within the last 12 months made several upgrades to my system to include Linn DSM/3 NGKSH System Hub, Organik Upgrade to existing Klimax Exaktbox, Klimax Twin Power Amps x2 and Kudos Titan 707 Speakers.

By chance I was reading up one day last December on Klimax components and began to appreciate that the Klimax Solo was something a bit special in terms of design and not just half a Twin in a box. Also by chance and if by fate Linn also announced an imminent price rise to a number that for the Solo at least was going to put it way out of reach (I had already considered the previous price out of reach hence the choice of Twins, but I realised it was now or never for me on Solos to order ahead of the price rise - I had also long since given up on finding used Solos in black, with Dynamik and binding posts so it had to be a new order).

Kudos to my dealer Ripcaster setting up a demo for me emulating my system and the same with Solos over the Christmas break. These were in fact used non-Dynamik Solos but that was good as it was a sort of worst case Solo scenario and there was enough improvement there as it was to warrant pushing the button just before the deadline on 4 new amps.

A 5 month delivery wait gave me time to save up and thanks again to Jon at Ripcaster to come out on a UK Bank Holiday yesterday to install so I could run them in and enjoy them over the long weekend.

As it turned out no burn-in was really required, the differences were obvious out of the box.

"It is bloody awesome!"

If I had one previous criticism of my system (and not sure if it was components or room) it was that it was a little 2-D, particlarly with lead vocalists who would sit somewhere back in the mix in with the band/musicians rather than front and centre.

Immediately this went away with a 3-D scenario (and this I had noted in the demo at Ripcaster so this was good to have it happen at home also). This is itself opened everything up. Years ago it was a revelation to realise there were, say, 3 rather than 2 backing vocalists but now each had their very own presence and you could sense them in the room and their height rather than just hearing disembodied voices. Where the bass player is standing and stlye of playing and many subtle little things each musician is doing behind the main act at the time. This is all stuff you hear every time you do a major upgrade and it seems impossible it could be moved on further. It can.

There are also a number of tracks that I have enjoyed over the years but found challenging and I was confused as to what was going on or why. Now I am no longer confused. Some things I did not know what the instrument was I now hear it is a human noise, percussive elements are now separated out and very apparent the item use and whether shaken or stirred or hit.

All in all, marvellous - not in a rediscover your music collection sort of way but enjoy it way more if that was possible. It is.

Very happy.

Any cons?

Yes

- this is not a value for money conversation. This is a very expensive upgrade and a non-linear scale of improvement. If you want value for money make sure you are using a £60 optical Ethernet set up into your next gen Klimax DSM/3 if you are lucky enough to have one.

- whereas the Klimax Twins never broke sweat or got even warm to the touch, the Solos are running hot (but they have been playing music now for 24 hours straight). My current installation has them stacked 2 by 2 Bass and Treble pairs (with Linn's blessing). After about 4 hours the fan on the uppermost amp came on, as it is designed to do to cool the casework. It is very noisy and serious listening is not possible with it running. It goes off again after a short while (the time it takes for a comfort break or to get a drink) so not a huge deal. My normal listening sessions are from cold and less than 4 hours so I hope in real world usage this will not be an issue for me. If it is, we have a Plan B which is to add two more shelves to my rack which is purely an aethsetic consideration for me but I will do if required. I knew it might be an issue. Wish Linn had found some silent fans but on the other hand I suppose it is good to know you are pushing things a little.

- the blue power LEDs are not consistent (I have 3 which are and 1 which is a little dimmer, it happens to be the lowest amp so you can convince yourself it is the viewing angle but you cannot tell it is on). Linn should really sort this out (as well as allowing you to turn the rear LEDs on the Exaktbox off)!

You have a great system there……your experiences sound similar to mine when I went from passive 242s to Aktiv komris. I am using a mix of solos and twins to drive the komris. If possible in your opinion what produced the biggest upgrade for you from the three below?

1) introducing Organik Exaktbox
2) introducing NGKSH
3) Twins to Solos

These are my possible next upgrades but will have to do them in order as funds allow thanks

Reactions: hashluck

hashluck

Wammer
Jan 9, 2022
United Kingdom
www.rlaliquemascots.com
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You have a great system there……your experiences sound similar to mine when I went from passive 242s to Aktiv komris. I am using a mix of solos and twins to drive the komris. If possible in your opinion what produced the biggest upgrade for you from the three below?

1) introducing Organik Exaktbox
2) introducing NGKSH
3) Twins to Solos

These are my possible next upgrades but will have to do them in order as funds allow thanks

That is an extremely difficult question as they all bought different things to the party. On balance I would go probably the exact opposite of what people might think:

1) Twins to Solos
2) Introducing NGKSH
3) Introducing Organik Exaktbox

It is extremely close between 1) and 2) and it may depend on which order you do the upgrade. Twin to Solo edges it for me as it moved a system that I did not think could be improved that much on by an order of similar magnitude as the NGKSH. If you subscribe to source first you will do the NGKSH first.

My order happens also to be in price order but I did not consider that. In fact just for fun, I added one to the list

1) Twins to Solos
2) Introducing NGKSH
3) Introducing Optical Ethernet connection to NGKSH
4) Introducing Organik Exaktbox

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Congratulations! Not a surprising improvement in some ways though. As has been discussed here before, there seems to be an assumption with some folk that a Twin is two Solos jammed into one box, but that’s not the case at all. I moved from 3 x 2250 aktiv to one Twin passive to two Solos passive. The Twin was a lot closer to the aktiv setup than to the Solos. I’ve had the latter for some years now and haven’t felt any desire to look for alternatives.
As for the LED thing - my Solos look identical, but above them is a Klimax Radikal 2, and even out of standby the LEDs on the Solos don’t *quite* match the one on the Radikal…

Mick

loogiefi

Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
London
AKA
Noil Porter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That is an extremely difficult question as they all bought different things to the party. On balance I would go probably the exact opposite of what people might think:

1) Twins to Solos
2) Introducing NGKSH
3) Introducing Organik Exaktbox

It is extremely close between 1) and 2) and it may depend on which order you do the upgrade. Twin to Solo edges it for me as it moved a system that I did not think could be improved that much on by an order of similar magnitude as the NGKSH. If you subscribe to source first you will do the NGKSH first.

My order happens also to be in price order but I did not consider that. In fact just for fun, I added one to the list

1) Twins to Solos
2) Introducing NGKSH
3) Introducing Optical Ethernet connection to NGKSH
4) Introducing Organik Exaktbox
Thanks for the response….interesting as most will say that introducing organik to the system as soon as possible will be the most valuable option. Will bear this in mind when the times comes

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@hashluck - another member here - possibly @Sound Hound - solved the problem with noisy Solo fans by cutting holes in the shelves beneath each one and fitting large, quiet fans there to keep the amps cooler.

Mick

Reactions: Chris 1970

hashluck

Wammer
Jan 9, 2022
United Kingdom
www.rlaliquemascots.com
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@hashluck - another member here - possibly @Sound Hound - solved the problem with noisy Solo fans by cutting holes in the shelves beneath each one and fitting large, quiet fans there to keep the amps cooler.

Mick
Thanks Mick - yes I am all over that thread, thank you. Interesting reading and confirming all is working as expected.

My rack shelves are glass and then further compounded by having a ateel anti-vibration shelf system suspended on ball-bearings reducing the overall height space in the rack for each pair of Solos - all exactly wrong if you follow the recommendations for best cooling. It is no surprise and I am not complaining the fans came on. It was really a note to propsective owners that they are LOUD.

First step I could take would be to remove the steel ant-vibration shelves - this alone I suspect would do it as would allow more free air around each pair of Solos.

Or, and better from absolute sound quality point of view, add 2 more separate shelves so each Solo has a solo shelf. Not the best aesthetic choice in my room adding height to the rack, but easily added to the existing modular design rack and not that expensive.

For now, given I have completed the enthusiastic 48 hour burn-in session I suspect that my normal listening habits will not give rise to the fan coming on very often if at all. I will report back in due course.

maddog_007

maddog_007
Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
Waterfoot ,Glasgow
AKA
dennis
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

"It is bloody awesome!"

Immediately this went away with a 3-D scenario and vocalist front and centre (and this I had noted in the demo at Ripcaster so this was good to have it happen at home also). This is itself opened everything up. Years ago it was a revelation to realise there were, say, 3 rather than 2 backing vocalists but now each had their very own presence and you could sense them in the room and their height rather than just hearing disembodied voices. Where the bass player is standing and stlye of playing and many subtle little things each musician is doing behind the main act at the time. This is all stuff you hear every time you do a major upgrade and it seems impossible it could be moved on further. It can.

Very happy.

Any cons?

Yes

I am extremely envious!...

hashluck

Wammer
Jan 9, 2022
United Kingdom
www.rlaliquemascots.com
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In the UK summer that we seem to be having for once I was finding the Solo fans coming on a lot during normal listening sessions (as someone wrote on the one of the threads on this subject, a lot of the times it was a 'not now!' moment. In any case could not live with it so have gone from the original
single rack to a double rack. Each Solo has its own shelf, see before and after pics. Let the listening begin

Attachments

• Solos Before .png
    Solos Before .png
    450.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20220712_1911063.jpg
    IMG_20220712_1911063.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 49

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66