Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So, now the dust has settled, has anyone done a meaningful side-by-side comparison of the Krane and Akito arms?  Or upgraded from one to the other?  I've always considered the current Akito grossly overpriced (well, I guess it's a Linn) and their previous Majik arms in the same league as the LVV, LVX, Basik and Basic Plus.  If the Krane is really good (almost as good, same as, better than) the Akito, that might convince Linn to stump up with a better Akurate level arm(?)

(Flame suit on.............. :nerves:  )

VinylHabit

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2016
The new Akito is better than Krane. 

An older one i am not sure, and i think that is the issue. The Akito has been around for ever, and is not the same as the one initially released. Linn fucked up and should have named each iteration differently. 

Reactions: alby

dol

Wammer
Feb 3, 2019
There is three main versions with some variation,

Akito: Ver 1. Japanese, sold with Axis and Basik turntables (I had this arm fitted to Axis)

Ver 2 2/B I have this arm fitted to an LP12

Ver 3 3/B Latest incarnation with the same "bearing" as Ekos/SE?

It would be interesting to comapare Krane against Akito 2 or 3. Obviously it will be worse than Akito 3, but what about model 2? Is it like an Akito 1?

dol

Wammer
Feb 3, 2019
The Akito 3 (crinkly finish) is clearly a different bearing from the Ekos variants.
Sure, you are right,  the text mentions:

"Akito incorporates technologies developed for Linn’s class-leading high performance tonearms like the Ekos SE to get the most from your vinyl collection."

So not exactly the bearing..

Last edited by a moderator:

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
"Akito incorporates technologies developed for Linn’s class-leading high performance tonearms like the Ekos SE to get the most from your vinyl collection."
Yes, typical marketing speak.  That could cover a whole lot of sins!  ;)

Reactions: Colinjg

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Akito 3 has the bearing yoke and inner part machined from solid billet rather than cast as in previous versions.  I believe it uses improved adhesive technologies first used in the Ekos SE.  Also the bearings on the Akito 3 are substantially lower in friction than on older Akitos, especially the horizontal bearing which swing tests in a similar range to Ekos arms.  Finally the Akito 3 arm cable is the same as the original T.Kable but with the newer Linn DIN plug.  I still prefer this cable to the newer T.Kable with Mogami wire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.