• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Krell, PMC and now Plinius and Von Schweikert

Stephen

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2006
, , Belgium
Further to post of about a week ago, I spent another afternoon in hifi dealer showrooms.. in particular with Krell. Listened to the Krell 400 thru Isophon speakers. Smaller ones costing about GBP1500 (don't know model) and the range topping Europa II (don't knowprice). The amp did a great job of driving both sets of speakers to high levels without any stress. But in particular it always sounded musical. The highs were high and the bass deep on both speakers. Even through complex pieces of music, you could always track individual instruments and the system never lost the beat or sounded muddled. I was worried that the Krell might sound almost mechanical but this was definetly not the case.

Whas was perhaps most interesting was the comparison between the Krell 400 and the new flagship Evolution 1/2 model. The "baby" was in no way disgraced! In fact, there was no way that I would be paying 30x more than the the 400 model just to get the Evolution (unless I had Lambo in garage, chopper on roof and nothing less than 100' of ocean going yacht parked up somewhere).

Next step is to take my MF 3.2 amp into shop and do a back to back comparison. Not yet had the chance to listen to the MF bi-amped with an A5 power amp - but since the Kell is same price as the MF power amp, I think that the Krell would be the amp of choice.

Also had chance to listen to PMC FB1+ again. Was using a Bryston integrated amp and Oracle CD player. This system sounded good.... but not as good as the OB1s powered by Bryston monoblocks and more expensive Oracle CD player. The bigget system just had more detail, prescence, bass. At first I thought it was just the loudness but turning the FB1's up did not do the trick. Not discounted the FB1s but must admit to some dissappointment. Unfortunately, dealer not willing to do home demo and I'm not willing to lug my Linn Keildeh spkrs in for a back to back.... so might need to make a leap of faith. However, as stands, I'm not sure the PMCs would offer much of an improvement over the Linns.

Last stop was a chance encounter. Heard Plinius CD 101player and pre-amp and SA reference amp (100W Class A) and Von Schweikert VR4 speakers (http://www.vonschweikert.com/vr4jr.html). I'd never heard of either brand. Electronics from NZ and spkrs from the US. The system rocked! Bass was great. Musical. Really 3D imaging. In particular, the peakers looked good (bit like some of the Naim ones with seperate bass module). The shop is getting a 9200 integrated amp in and will probably listen to this. Would help understand if it were the speakers or the class A amp thatwas the star of the show.

Overall, really interesting day but probably no closer to deciding what to do next!!!

The Swedish Chef

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2005
Göteborg, , Sweden
AKA
Philip
big fan of plinius kit here, really well made, great styling and compared to the krell stuff way more musical too, (imo),

not heard the von s speakers but would very much like to

Stephen

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2006
, , Belgium
Shop majored on Von S spkrs. As well as the 4jnrs, they had larger ones too of very similar design but did not get opportunity to listen to them. If they are as good as the 4jnrs but go a little deeper, they would be very good.

The PLinius kit looked well made - bit like the some of the current Classe stuff with rounded front face (but no touch panels). Will hopefully hear the integrated when they get one in (assuming that I have not bought Krell by then!).

legzr1

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 21, 2005
Durham
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok,if for some reason you decide not to go for the Krell i'd be very interested in the place selling it for £1600:)

M

Mr Coherent

I suspect Stephen is in the US, AS I don't know of any dealers selling the VS in the UK (the only 4SE's I know are private users)

Though this could be a chance for you guys to listen to them if they are
smile.png

technobear

Ursine Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2005
Glastonbury, UK
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Stephen wrote:

Unfortunately, dealer not willing to do home demo and I'm not willing to lug my Linn Keildeh spkrs in for a back to back.... so might need to make a leap of faith.
I would ditch that dealer and find one that wants to stay in business!
sad.png

Outrageous to expect someone to buy at that price level without a home demo - especially loudspeakers! :Upset:

saab

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2005
, ,
Its great to see VS back in the UK.I believe the previous importer retired,(he posts on ZG as Listening Ear)so at last they are back.

I have there entry level VR1 standmounts (£1200) on some costly stands,and they just superb,I wouldn't change them for the world,except maybe sex with Danni Minogue.

yoda900

Wammer Plus
Sep 20, 2005
Cheshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Heard VR 4s on the end of SJS Acoustics Pre and Monos. Shockingly good.

Only pair I've ever seen and they must be good if he builds the amps and he ditched his Snell A's for them.

M

Mr Coherent

The Chap I bought my BHIIs went to the The SE versions, then 5 days later mailed me to ask if he could buy them back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stephen

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2006
, , Belgium
Guess I should state that I'm based in Singapore. So on the one hand, that explains some of the prices and on the other, it accounts for what passes as service out here (which can range from great to not quite so good!).

A lot of the UK stuff (eg MF) is priced at UK prices. Some brands are at a bit of a discount (eg Cyrus). I'd never really looked at US kit before but would appear to be cheaper in Sgp than in UK (perhaps reflecting the old rip off UK syndrome????)

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Stephen wrote:

Tell me what it is and I see if I can find out (CD player???)
They´re both integrated amps, of which the E-530 only operates in Class A.

Read a fcouple of times that in Asia Accuphase amps go at half the pricethey retail for in Europe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zymaze