Feb 16, 2009
Bristol, , United Ki
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
LAVARDIN RECONTOURE STABILE 210 SPEAKERS

The French do things their way?

There are quite a lot of French hifi makers, when one has a look. Many highly rated, with quite a few taking a distinct alternative look at how hifi works. I owned Ocellia Calliope .21 Grandis Signature speakers for a dozen years, full range units with thin undamped walls when most others were heavily damped and cased.

Lavardin are another company with their own approach to sound. Their amps are treasured by the owners in the main –few ever seen 2nd hand. The makers have a ‘thing’ about ghosting in transistors and the effect on sound.

The Recontoure speakers are slightly quirky as well. Box speakers in the main, but….an 8 inch mid/bass unit?….a 10 inch rear-facing bass unit?....the whole thing seemingly ‘hanging’ from a solid rear panel, the front suspended on a spike, resting on…..a coin!

It’s definitely on the money.

Sound-wise it works though. Matching the quality of the Lavardin amplifiers in producing a refined musical image that beguiles the listener. One doesn’t sit analysing the constituent parts –mid/bass/tweeter – but just relax into a cohesive seductive whole, thoughts of ‘it shouldn’t work’ cast aside as the music is absorbed.

They might do things differently, but it works!

Rarely seen in UK but definitely worth seeking out.

Attachments

• DSC01923.JPG
    DSC01923.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • DSC01925.JPG
    DSC01925.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
Reactions: bigrod and myles

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
LAVARDIN RECONTOURE STABILE 210 SPEAKERS

The French do things their way?

There are quite a lot of French hifi makers, when one has a look. Many highly rated, with quite a few taking a distinct alternative look at how hifi works. I owned Ocellia Calliope .21 Grandis Signature speakers for a dozen years, full range units with thin undamped walls when most others were heavily damped and cased.

Lavardin are another company with their own approach to sound. Their amps are treasured by the owners in the main –few ever seen 2nd hand. The makers have a ‘thing’ about ghosting in transistors and the effect on sound.

The Recontoure speakers are slightly quirky as well. Box speakers in the main, but….an 8 inch mid/bass unit?….a 10 inch rear-facing bass unit?....the whole thing seemingly ‘hanging’ from a solid rear panel, the front suspended on a spike, resting on…..a coin!

It’s definitely on the money.

Sound-wise it works though. Matching the quality of the Lavardin amplifiers in producing a refined musical image that beguiles the listener. One doesn’t sit analysing the constituent parts –mid/bass/tweeter – but just relax into a cohesive seductive whole, thoughts of ‘it shouldn’t work’ cast aside as the music is absorbed.

They might do things differently, but it works!

Rarely seen in UK but definitely worth seeking out.
I love my French
Cabasse Kara’s

Hornucopia

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2009
Bristol, , United Ki
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Citroen use Cabasse hifi in cars! French 'Levinson' then?
Do I recall B+W in UK car?
Imagine Lavardin doing Peugeot? Or, more apt, Facel Vega! (yes,I'm THAT old!)

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And I'm sufficiently old to remember that Facel Vega was a pan European effort. German engineering, Italian design, British interiors. Oh God, and ermine trimmed carpets. Careful where you tread before you get in... Haven't seen one in decades!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles