Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Apart from John (Lurch) has anyone on here any experience of  Lector kit.  My beloved 'Roksan' ( the other woman in my life after Jane ....😜) is showing signs of age, has always been picky on some cd's refusing to play them etc.  This week the display keeps going faint/disappearing ☹️

Ive got a good offer on a lector 4 box transport and 2.24 DAC .....has anyone got any experience of this setup ? 

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Kieth, you won't go far wrong with the 4 box version, it's the next one up to mine, and my 7TL mk3 is no slouch and is probably one of the least digital sounding CDPs I've heard. The dac also responds well to a bit of tube rolling of the ecc81s, sounding even better with a pair of EH triple micas fitted. 

Mine being 'only' the two box version means both the dac section & the transport (in the main box) are powered from the same outboard PSU. Hifi Emporium are the current UK agents and repairers and are very helpful should you need to contact them at anytime. 

TECUMSEH VALLEY

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2010
NORFOLK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Heard both the two box and four box versions.  Very nice sounding CD players  with a  smooth, full bodied  and tonally rich presentation.  Not your typical digital sound.  Functionally, the lack of direct track access can be frustrating at times. Overall build quality though is very good ,aside from some small, fragile looking,toggle switches which seem somewhat out of place on equipment at this price point. 

Last edited by a moderator:

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You must have a lot of shelf space, my current set up has only two boxes in total  :D
Well I run a two box Trichord DAC and my Roksan is heavily modded so it is in effect a two box cd transport too....so no change really.

there are 18 boxes in total in my setup inc power supplies etc 😛

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: Lee M

Rayymondo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2018
North Somerset UK
AKA
Raymond
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
18 boxes , holy cow! My components have to fit on an oak trunk in the corner of the room, that's why I always go for compact devices. Would be lovely to have the space to expand but that isn't going to happen anytime soon  ;-) .

I'm sure it sounds good and that's the main thing  :^

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The 'banking gods' smiled nicely on me today so I hope to be able to confirm & pay for my deal on the Lector 4 box digidrive CDT / 2.24 DAC on Monday morning 😀

Bummer is I'm away all week and back late fri eve so won't be able to listen to it until Saturday ☹️

Lee M

was/is the purplepleaser
Wammer Plus
Nov 6, 2013
Manchester
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The 'banking gods' smiled nicely on me today so I hope to be able to confirm & pay for my deal on the Lector 4 box digidrive CDT / 2.24 DAC on Monday morning 😀

Bummer is I'm away all week and back late fri eve so won't be able to listen to it until Saturday ☹️
I feel your pain. Sometimes my shift work has its downsides

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Deal done today ...Lector digidrive transport & digicode 2.24 valve DAC on its way 😁😁

Ratcatcher

Giant Amongst Ants
Wammer
Jan 13, 2009
Sunny Suffolk
AKA
Pig Whisperer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Deal done today ...Lector digidrive transport & digicode 2.24 valve DAC on its way 😁😁
Brave man. I had one of the early two box systems.  Very classic ferrari in its character ie when it was working it was good. Unfortunately it wasnt that often.

Hopefully theyve improved since then.

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Two boxes delivered to home today ......and I'm 300 miles away 🙁.  Will be late when I get back on fri and given its Valentine's Day if I set to opening them up etc,  I could end up sleeping in the spare room !

Big thumbs up to Emporium who shipped next day del by UPS with no charge 

I'll set it up on sat morning ...let it warm up etc and pass further judgement later on .....no doubt after an analysis session with REW and eq tweakery etc.  I'll post up my findings on my Volts thread in the DIY section and pics in bits & bobs.  Fingers xd the comments I've read on the net about how the 4 box blows other cd setups away is true etc.  Watch this space 

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just got back home & unpacked it ....pics tomorrow 

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well!......... Is ya camera on strike or something?  :ph34r:

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Patience John ....currently looking for extra thick cream samples in my local Tesco - work gets in the way sometimes but it does pay for the Lector too 

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here are the pics 

IMG_0167.JPG

Digicode 2.24 DAC is on the bottom the Digidrive TII transport on the top

IMG_0166.JPG

twin offboard power supplies ....one for each unit 

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Had a quick listen late last night but my home built foo digital interconnect 'died' and I had to replace it with the Roksan cable I had previously.

Immediately it was clear that the bass had more 'heft' and texture ....the top end was a bit held back tho 🙁

This morning (after taking pics) I had a look at my foo cable .....simple break in the silver conductor as it attaches to the bnc plug.  A quick strip back/re solder and it was back in place.  

On with Yello Touch ......and

WOW   The bass heft/texture is still there but now the mid/upper detail is back along with better instrument/voice separation.  Dispels the myth on 'foo' cables as the difference on my Trichord/Roksan setup was good but on the Lector it's really obvious 😀

Ive got the thumbs up from Jane on the change too.

Ill have more time this eve to check it out with REW and I'll post curves on my Volts thread in the DIY section.

.....now which cd to listen to next ...... 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles