Lens protection filters: sensible precaution?

horace

Not allowed near the classifieds while drunk
Wammer
Dec 4, 2006
Morpeth (Northum)
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm considering buying a nice Canon L series lens. In my old 35mm days, I had UV filters on all my lenses.

I realise that digital sensors don't need external UV filtration, so am considering adding something like a Hoya Pro1 clear protection filter.

There are two schools of thought, it seems: don't bother, as a lens hood provides adequate protection fro the front element and an extra bit of glass could degrade image quality. Alternatively, it's easier to clean a filter and a lot cheaper to replace a cracked one than damaged lens glass.

I'm thinking that I'd probably trade an ounce of image quality (if indeed that loss would even be noticeable) for a couple of pounds of peace of mind.

What do you think? The Hoya I mentioned costs about £20 - is it good enough?

jkbmusic

Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Ask yourself, how much is your L series lens worth with a scratch on it?. Then ask yourself how much was that filter again :wall: .

horace

Wammer
Dec 4, 2006
Morpeth (Northum)
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ask yourself, how much is your L series lens worth with a scratch on it?. Then ask yourself how much was that filter again :wall: .
The sums aren't difficult  :)

OK, time to order a small shiny screw-in thingy.

Might buy the lens while I'm at it - the pictures will look better that way - possibly  :whistle:

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
With UV filters, the only real degredation I've noticed is issues with flare, making the lens more prone to it.

Saying that, I don't use any clear/UV filters on any of my lenses, I've never had any issues of scratching the lens.

I guess it may be easier on wide angle lenses that have very bulbous front elements, which you can not mount filters on anyway.

horace

Wammer
Dec 4, 2006
Morpeth (Northum)
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With UV filters, the only real degredation I've noticed is issues with flare, making the lens more prone to it.

Saying that, I don't use any clear/UV filters on any of my lenses, I've never had any issues of scratching the lens.

I guess it may be easier on wide angle lenses that have very bulbous front elements, which you can not mount filters on anyway.
I suppose it all depends on how much faith one has in one's ability to refrain from breaking things.

Sadly, that means I need the protector  :brick:

Reactions: Sir_Franc

HectorHughMunro

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2006
London, , United Kin
Purists probably wouldn't use them. I do though. My preference is Marumi Super DHG which are so well coated that you can hardly see them on the lens.  Better than Hoya in my experience. 

Bolts

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 10, 2013
Kingston Surrey
AKA
Ben
I've got one on my Leica Q - don't see any difference in the IQ and it means I can just leave a lens hood on and chuck it in my bag, no worries 

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have to admit that I don't have any filters on my lenses, but I do always use a lens hood.  I can understand the reasoning why so many do use a UV for protection, but I just never have.

unintended1

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2006
United Kingdom
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Like TK I don't use them personally, but always use the lens hood.

One thing to consider is that some Canon L lenses require a filter to complete the weather sealing. It'll say in the user manual if it needs one.

Sumdumgi

Interstellar Overdriver
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
Durham
AKA
Les
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have to admit that I don't have any filters on my lenses, but I do always use a lens hood.  I can understand the reasoning why so many do use a UV for protection, but I just never have.
Me too. Lens hood and cap. Not used a UV/Skylight in years.

Reactions: Tony_J

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do on all my L-series lens.  It saved my 100-400 front from damage.........

MrMister

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 17, 2007
Venice
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use a UV filter on all my lenses, simply because I know the day I take one off I'll put a fecking great scratch down the lens. I prefer to use them rather than the hoods for protection, because they are more discreet (I find lens hoods draw a lot more attention). I often just chuck the SLR over my shoulder or in a canvas bag: if using a fancy camera pack or something I'd probably not bother. And then scratch it anyway.

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

This. I broke the habit when I moved to digital and haven't used a filter since. I do always fit a lens hood though - except on macro lenses where it would just get in the way and reduce light on the subject.

mj446

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2012
Fife
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used to do a lot of motorsport shooting and it's amazing how quickly stone travel towards you, so I always used a filter, horses for courses ~I suppose.

NeilM

Wammer
Aug 5, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Eventually whatever is at the front of the lens will need cleaning. If it's a filter, you have no risk of a costly scratch. If there's no filter .....

Ironically, a scratch on the front element of a good lens will have little impact on image quality. But just try selling it.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Eventually whatever is at the front of the lens will need cleaning. If it's a filter, you have no risk of a costly scratch. If there's no filter .....

Ironically, a scratch on the front element of a good lens will have little impact on image quality. But just try selling it.
If the filter breaks then it can scratch the lens, had that on a macro lens when it fell out of my bag, if no filter it would not have been damaged. You dont want these filters on the lens, if doing night time images, because you can get reflections between the filter and sensor. I never use protection filters anymore on digital cameras. I use other filters sometimes such as ND and GND.

Last edited:

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I stopped using UV filters when I started using digital cameras, but I understand the protection argument.
Never scratch a filter or a front element, and I use short prime lenses 90% of the time.

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
i only use a 400mm on my EOS5 mk III - always with a filter.....

Richdirector

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 16, 2015
Glasgee Skottishland
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I only use ND and polarising filters and not for lens protection ... I generally hardly use lens caps I keep lens hood on and store in bag lens down .... But it depends if you trust yourself with kit.

Fuji gfx kit and a runabout x100v

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Staff online