Wammer
Wammer
Nov 30, 2007
Dartmoor
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bit of a bizarre question but on one of my jj2a3 40w valves the heaters have stopped glowing. 

It hasn't effected the performance in any way in fact the small amount of buzz I had on that channel has totally disappeared, and the system as a whole is playing better than ever. 

So the question is why have the lights gone out. 

Cheers all

Phil 

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So the question really, to maximise sound quality, is how to stop the other 2a3 from glowing. 💡

Sorry I can't help. Yes, it does seem bizarre. 

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bit of a bizarre question but on one of my jj2a3 40w valves the heaters have stopped glowing. 

It hasn't effected the performance in any way in fact the small amount of buzz I had on that channel has totally disappeared, and the system as a whole is playing better than ever. 

So the question is why have the lights gone out. 

Cheers all

Phil 
Is it there for show? 🤣

If the filament has totally died, the valve won't work. Possibly it's still there, but partially failed. Or the supply to it has partly failed so it's a lot dimmer. Or in fact the other one is brighter and getting more voltage than it ought to have.

Reactions: uzzy

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Summat wrong there,  you need a tech to sort it swiftly. If it sounds better now there was almost certainly something wrong before the valve filament stopped working.

The filament may have snapped, or the filament supply might be faulty. If the former stop using it because if the snapped filament touches the valves anode there will be a loud noise and magic smoke. That could be expensive 😕

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If that's a VTA SET then the valves are not for show. Lovely looking amp!

• Upvote
Reactions: rabski

fled

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 30, 2007
Dartmoor
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
OK still playing but the light came on briefly but now have disappeared again. 

I guess this is an amp problem not valve. 

Knowing zip about electronics. 

fled

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 30, 2007
Dartmoor
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Swapped the valves around all working as it should. So amp problem I think. Humm is back on that channel. So maybe lose connection? 

Need to find someone to take a look. Which is going to be tricky where I live. 

fled

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 30, 2007
Dartmoor
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bit of a running commentary but it now clearly is dimmer. 

BTW these are monoblocks. 

I assume it's the supply line. 

I will definitely need a tech to look at, but from what I've described if some knowledge wizz on the wam could sort of point me in the right direction. 

As I understand its 2.5v line, so what could have failed? The tube socket is a little lose in the hole. If it was a duff connection here it just won't work, would it? 

Phil

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It could be a loose connection in the socket, the pins not mating tightly to the socket. This might behave as you are describing. Or it might be a loose connection between the wire supplying the socket and the socket. If you wiggle the valves only do it with the power off, there's a lot of volts on the other pins waiting to cause trouble. If the valve socket is a bit loose it needs to be looked at, could cause mischief.
Also worth taking the valves out of a cold amp and give them a clean with isopropyl alcohol or similar to remove any oxidation that has built up.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm having my valve monos rebuilt by a very knowledgeable valve amp repair place in Essex.

Depending on your location I would recommend them, based on my experience with them thus far (they have completed the work yet)

Juancho

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 22, 2014
London
AKA
David
If this a push-pull amp then the symptoms you describe are exactly what happens when the heater supply to one of the output valves fails. You will still get output (if you listen carefully you should find the output lower on that channel). The amp then hums because you've lost the self cancelling effect of the push pull pair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online