Linn Owners

Linn 242s and Twin vs Akubariks (original Aktiv)

Roonster111

New Wammer
Dec 30, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is correct, the AEB-I has 8 channels built in betraying its' origins as a Majik product where it well suits the 3.5 way Majik 140. Since the 242 is a 4.5 way and the Akubarik is a 5 way speaker you need 2 more channels of amplification and crossover to work with them. The reason why the standard AEB is available in a ten channel version.

Also one minor correction on the fine post by grommeteer. You can drive any active speaker with XLR inputs from a preamp with only RCA outputs. You just need a cable made up with RCAs on the preamp end and XLRs on the speaker end that has been wired properly. I have made these for a number of people using various active speakers from Linn, ATC and JBL among others. Interestingly, when I had active ATC100ASL speakers and the Klimax Kontrol preamp, which has both RCA and XLR outputs, I found it was more musical with the RCA to XLR cable than it was with the XLR to XLR cable. A customer of mine using K350s found the same thing in his system. These cables were made by me using identical lengths (5 meters) of Linn Silver Balanced interconnect cable, Linn Silver RCAs and XLRs and soldered with Lejonklou solder at precisely 677°F. All were also burned in around 150 or so hours before comparisons. So I think you can rule out differences in construction. But regardless of the musical differences, which some may argue, there is no question that RCA to XLR works for this connection, and I feel works quite well. Finally, when making this kind of cable you do not need balanced interconnect cable - I just used it to allow building the cable with either connector on the preamp end. Most of the cables I have made use unbalanced Linn cable and just bridge the negative to the ground pins in the XLR connector. I actually liked the cables I made for my ATCs a little better with the unbalanced Linn Silver wire compared to the balanced version.
Thanks for clarifying this.

I am curious if it would be possible to Exakt link 2 AEBi together to resolve the 242 / Akubarik amp requirement issue?

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for clarifying this.

I am curious if it would be possible to Exakt link 2 AEBi together to resolve the 242 / Akubarik amp requirement issue?
According to Linn Docs, no.

Supports
*ONE or TWO loudspeakers ONLY as digital crossover
Each loudspeaker can only be 2-way, 3-way or 4-way
Software upgradable to support more and more loudspeakers
Connects directly to externally Aktiv speakers or power amplifiers and externally Aktiv speakers
OR
*Can be used to directly feed Surround channels in a Surround Sound system

Reactions: Roonster111

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
According to Linn Docs, no.

Supports
*ONE or TWO loudspeakers ONLY as digital crossover
Each loudspeaker can only be 2-way, 3-way or 4-way
Software upgradable to support more and more loudspeakers
Connects directly to externally Aktiv speakers or power amplifiers and externally Aktiv speakers
OR
*Can be used to directly feed Surround channels in a Surround Sound system
I don't know about Exakt linking them together, but could you have two Exaktbox-i's and treat them as monoblocks, one per five driver speaker? The language above seems to leave this option open?

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Only up to 4-way.
The language of your quote does leave wiggle room for monoblock application, since one can do a multi speaker setup with an Exaktbox-i, so "4" is only software limited? Did anyone ever ask Linn this question?

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I haven't dug into the documentation but my guess would be that it is a two channel device with each channel separate and supporting only up to a 4 way setup.

• Upvote
Reactions: akamatsu

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles