Linn Owners

Linn App update live

ForeeL

New Wammer
May 13, 2021
Drunen, Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do have 1 small problem with RP flac via Airable ... I have it as default startup-source and active but after a cold start (from On to Off) it won't play. When coming from standby it does play. Before when I was using TuneIn with custom-URL it always did play from a cold start. Seems like some time-out problem and nothing changed here technically or in my network but Linn says they can't reproduce it?

SnapperMike

And His Hair Was Perfect
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Edinburgh, UK
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Weird that I don't see any other than the Main stream and others not even that?

Maybe we're back to things being country-dependent because of legislation?

Or are the people having problems getting the flac stream maybe running older firmware?

Regards, Louis.
Thanks for the confirmation Louis.

That's all weird. I've checked again this evening and there's no Flac available for me of RP using airable. I'm in the UK with up to date firmware.

I guess I'll just stick with the Flac stream URL playlist on my NAS.

jethanger

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That is the rate at which the transfer is from the your phone is. The BBC stream rate is 320 KBPS (I've read) on all stations. On Airable it isn't anywhere near 320but at 128 kbps. So this is a backward step from tunein. I appreciate tunein have had problems with the BBC.  I think the wa y to go is as you say stream from the phone to the DS.
My Spotify stream is also at 1411KBPS/ALAC , 44kHz/16 Bit, per the info on my ADSM display

ForeeL

New Wammer
May 13, 2021
Drunen, Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On 10/08/2021 at 07:50, rockfather said:

Spotify supplies a software library to perform the decryption and decode of the stream received from their servers. This outputs 44.1kHz 16-bit PCM audio for the streamer to play back. Hence The Linn streamers (and most others) will report the above for Spotify streams. The actual encoded stream is of variable quality dependent on the subscription level, streamer settings etc. Linn streamers are set to always use the highest quality stream available, which Spotify call '320k mp3' quality, but is actually ogg-vorbis q9 as far as I am aware

ForeeL

New Wammer
May 13, 2021
Drunen, Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And maybe the same misleading indicated quality is the case with RP flac via Airable then ... I really don't know and have no way of finding out ... perhaps the custom-URL via TuneIn is the best way after all because it's a certainty (for those of us who can get it) ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Coalboy68

Life in the fast Linn
Wammer
Dec 30, 2020
NE England
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi @SnapperMike

just tried Radio Paradise on airable and still getting FLAC 1.4Mbps on my dsm. 

linn app version 4.5.2.1, you need to ensure the dsm also has the latest firmware updates.

Reactions: SnapperMike

mnky

Wammer
Wammer
May 3, 2013
oooh arrrrrr
AKA
Mnky
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm getting all four Radio Paradise flac streams ....no issues ...has been rock solid since Linn fixed the DS firmware.    4.87.423 .... This was released to correct incorrect stream selection for Radio Paradise.....

There have been two more beta releases after this one ..but I've not installed ... One v was for qobuz fix the other for ethernet lights on klimax dsm/3 ....

You need 4.87.423 minimum to get reliable radio paradise. ..

SnapperMike

And His Hair Was Perfect
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Edinburgh, UK
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
linn app version 4.5.2.1, you need to ensure the dsm also has the latest firmware updates
Thanks Nige, yes I've checked and mine's the same version of the Linn App.

BUT, I notice my System Hub is on Davaar 86 Build 421 (4.86.421). Within Konfig It all says it's up to date.

Are you and @mnky running Beta versions that havent been released as yet? I see @mnkyis on 4.87.423 which isn't available to me.

If so, that may explain things?

Mike.

SnapperMike

And His Hair Was Perfect
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Edinburgh, UK
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Nige, yes I've checked and mine's the same version of the Linn App.

BUT, I notice my System Hub is on Davaar 86 Build 421 (4.86.421). Within Konfig It all says it's up to date.

Are you and @mnky running Beta versions that havent been released as yet? I see @mnkyis on 4.87.423 which isn't available to me.

If so, that may explain things?

Mike.
OK, I think I've fixed this. I've joined the Beta testing program and updated my conservatory Sneaky with version 4.87.427 and I'm now getting RP using airable Radio in full Flac 44.1/16. 1.4 Mbps.

Now I just need to be brave enough to join the beta testing with my day to day DSM.

Mike.

SnapperMike

And His Hair Was Perfect
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Edinburgh, UK
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I did all the work to get this working but compared to tunein there has been a huge drop in quality. For example BBC 6 steams at 128kbps compared to 320 when on tunein. BBC 3 does stream at 320 but from what I've read all BBC stations are at 320 but from what I can see on Airable that is not the case. As for Radio Paradise the only one I can find is a poor 64kbps. Reading the above threads it would seem I'm missing something, there is nowhere I can find a Flac stream from Paradise. 
@Scootersee my post above. It appears you need to join the Beta testing programme and install Davaar 4.87.427 or similar to receive RP in Flac using airable.

Nemick

Wammer
Oct 9, 2019
Indianapolis, USA
AKA
Neil Micklewright
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just wanted to say that I only yesterday realized that Airable was available. I went through all the updates, selections, etc. and have been listening to the main channel on RP all day. I have to say that the sound quality through my old Sneaky DSM and even older Ninkas is nothing short of remarkable. Great thread!

Neil M.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.