New Wammer
Nov 19, 2020
Flower Mound, Texas
AKA
Dennis Browning
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Moomintroll,

I'm no electric guru by any means however by drive units you referring to the drivers/woofers? I had looked online for testing speakers. Did the simple 9 volt battery test and both drivers seemed to react as they should but is that an accurate way to test/gauge them? I sure don't know...real rookie here.

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok, that suggests the drivers are, at least, working. All very strange.

’troll

mabrow

mabrow
New Wammer
Nov 19, 2020
Flower Mound, Texas
AKA
Dennis Browning
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very strange indeed. "Assuming" the Amp and crossover boards are good that should just leave the compensation board and transformer/toroidal as question marks.

pdcman

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 3, 2020
Sorry, missed your post. Initially, a mild thumping noise from the drivers. The main amp board went back to Linn for repair. When it came back, it was fitted, switched on, then a horrendous noise emitted from the drivers! Sent the board back again, Linn said it was ok.

I then tested the transformer output voltages and they weren’t right. It had also trashed both drivers as well. Eventually had to trash the whole thing, even after offering the thing foc to anyone who would collect it on the old Linn forum. There were no takers sadly, so it went to the local skip. 😔

mabrow

mabrow
New Wammer
Nov 19, 2020
Flower Mound, Texas
AKA
Dennis Browning
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for replying. Sorry to hear it went in the trash.

Mine had a loud slow repeating thump. Sent the boards off for repair and was told the boards were now fine. Reinstalled everything and to this day only have a rapid low thump. A local speaker tech described the sound as helicoptering (noise like helicopter rotors) but sadly they don't work on LINN.

hodge555

Wammer
Nov 6, 2018
London, UK
www.hoth.uk
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I too have the 5150 in Cherry and it looks great so it would be a shame to bin one.

As a bonus it gets the wife's approval too (we both like art deco).

Anyway, here are a couple of pictures of my settings and connectors if it helps anything for you.

I use mine with 5140's, 3rd pic.

sub-connections.jpg

sub-settings2.jpg

sub+5140.jpg

pdcman

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 3, 2020
Thanks for the pictures and the memories.

Just an observation, a single mono input from a surround amp should go into the Right/Mono input from memory.

I also notice that you are using the crossover point at 79db. and full damping. Have you experimented with the settings? AV5140's usually go to around 30Hz, so you have a large bass overlap between them.

mabrow

mabrow
New Wammer
Nov 19, 2020
Flower Mound, Texas
AKA
Dennis Browning
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Appreciate your reply however I sold it a few months ago as a "repair/parts unit. Hated to do it with such a nice looking mint cosmetic unit but the wife wanted it gone so happy wife, happy life (or so I'm told)! LOL

Like the deco piece on the 5150! Hoping yours keep giving you years of enjoyment.

Dennis

hodge555

Wammer
Nov 6, 2018
London, UK
www.hoth.uk
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the pictures and the memories.

Just an observation, a single mono input from a surround amp should go into the Right/Mono input from memory.

I also notice that you are using the crossover point at 79db. and full damping. Have you experimented with the settings? AV5140's usually go to around 30Hz, so you have a large bass overlap between them.
My sub was originally installed and setup by Ian from Billy Vee, along with the 5140's, a 5120 and at the time with a 5103 & 5125 (back in circa 2002). Subsequently the sub had the recall done by Ian. 

The system has always sounded good to me so I've basically left it alone, no tweaking. I listen mostly to rock music and there's plenty of bass.

PS I do have spikes for it but took them off when I had to move it to decorate and then just left the wheels on.

hodge555

Wammer
Nov 6, 2018
London, UK
www.hoth.uk
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Appreciate your reply however I sold it a few months ago as a "repair/parts unit. Hated to do it with such a nice looking mint cosmetic unit but the wife wanted it gone so happy wife, happy life (or so I'm told)! LOL

Like the deco piece on the 5150! Hoping yours keep giving you years of enjoyment.

Dennis
Shame but understood.

The lamp is one of my wife's favourites. 🙂

Last year I got offered another sub, for almost no money, and was really tempted to take it as I still have my 5103, and a spare 5125 so could build a 2nd system. In the end I declined however as I currently just don't really have the need for it or the space to keep it, and may never really build that 2nd system...

mabrow

mabrow
New Wammer
Nov 19, 2020
Flower Mound, Texas
AKA
Dennis Browning
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks and the following will probably be viewed as sour grapes by most but I'm going to vent anyway as the lack of support received was the deciding factor in ridding myself of the unit.

I signed up for this site as it was described as dedicated to LINN owners, and for those with issues/problems.

The support I received from this site was nothing short of pathetic, and the support from the LINN company and their dealer network was absolutely zero.

Nuff said!

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The support I received from this site was nothing short of pathetic, and the support from the LINN company and their dealer network was absolutely zero.
I imagine that there are many on here wondering how (or even whether) to word a response to this?

I’m just going with “you can’t please all the people, all of the time”

Time to move on.

’troll

Reactions: pdcman

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I imagine that there are many on here wondering how (or even whether) to word a response to this?

I’m just going with “you can’t please all the people, all of the time”

Time to move on.

’troll
I suspect @mabrow doesn’t realise this is simply a group of enthusiasts willing to help others out, rather than some official support forum. 
That said, I think it’s fairly clear what the forum is, so…

hodge555

Wammer
Nov 6, 2018
London, UK
www.hoth.uk
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I suspect @mabrow doesn’t realise this is simply a group of enthusiasts willing to help others out, rather than some official support forum. 
That said, I think it’s fairly clear what the forum is, so…
Also not everyone here necessarily has the time to dedicate to the forum on a regular basis so to expect prompt service is perhaps somewhat optimistic.

For instance, I registered here in 2018 and until last week or so I hadn't been back on.

I confess I'm an infrequent user of forums at the best of times but the last few years have been such that I really haven't put them as a priority.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kengxx