Linn Owners

Linn AV5125 Repair

Chetys

Wammer
Mar 22, 2022
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Does anyone know someone who repairs older Linn amps in UK, preferably local - I am in the W.Midlands.
It is an AV 5125 and I reckon needs the dynamik power supply re-capped.

Unfortunately I bought second hand from a HiFi retailer (so thought I had some safety, but after months of back and forth emails they are a waste of time) in Northern Ireland who flat refuses to repair it, saying I blew the amp. It was used for about 3-4 hours!
The amp started taking tme to power up, no blue light and making clicking noises, then after 15 -30 secs it would power up, blue light comes on. After about 5-6 uses it just failed - would not power up at all. No bangs.

Obviously I am very experienced with HiFi, all was connected correctly. If anyone can shed any light on this sort of fault it would be appreciated also as well as any repairers.

I have tried Class A Audio, but he doesn't do this sort of repair.
Linn will service it, but the cost will end up high considering the amp age.

Cheers.

formann

Øyvind I
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Ski Norway
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Linn do service these now. There is a fixed service charge and there may be some small country prices but from Sweden it is approx GBP 350 + postage which also gives you a nice warranty. This is probably thanks to EU requirements of service up to 10 years. Rumors are that this may also be pushed to 20 years which is really good.
Øyvind I

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had an experience of a used AV5105 failing days after purchasing through a dealer. I had bought a pair of the amps so I just had both of them recapped. It was expensive, and it took a lot of time. All this happened years ago, and the amps are still in service performing perfectly. The time and money spent are long forgotten. It all came with a lesson about buying used equipment. It does come with risk.

Sorry that this is no help in finding a repair facility. But you aren't alone in your experience. In the end, it will all work out. ;)

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had a couple of 5125s repaired by Linn over the last decade - both are still performing flawlessly. I have a third one that this thread has reminded me to get boxed up and off to Glasgow.

Last edited:

entdgc

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Congleton, England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Krescendo Audio should be able to fix it.

They are in south England though
What Paul says. The fault sounds very similar to the well known fault affecting the A4200's where a small component on the PSU fails. Mine failed and would not turn on without attention from a hairdryer but once running they worked perfectly until next turned off. I traded them in to Krescendo and I know Richard was able to repair them before selling them on.

Chetys

Wammer
Mar 22, 2022
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Paul & Formann - I had forgotten Krescendo (bought from Richard numerous times). Linn 10 years warranty - i would have to check if thats the same in UK (now we are not part of EU).

Reactions: Paulssurround

Chetys

Wammer
Mar 22, 2022
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Akamatsu - Yours sounds like my experience. I have also pretty much decided not to buy second hand. I've bought loads of second hand in past all from reputable people but these guys have seriously spouted so much rubbish. Too much hassle.

Reactions: akamatsu

Chetys

Wammer
Mar 22, 2022
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Dasher - Yes I have 5125s & 4200 working for years.

entdgc - thanks for the info - I suspect its that...

F

flo1984

I had in the past Linn Kisto ,nobody wanted to check it,not even Linn factory.I would never ever buy any Linn product.

Wenge1

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Sep 19, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What Paul says. The fault sounds very similar to the well known fault affecting the A4200's where a small component on the PSU fails. Mine failed and would not turn on without attention from a hairdryer but once running they worked perfectly until next turned off. I traded them in to Krescendo and I know Richard was able to repair them before selling them on.

Turbocharging by another name ...... ;)

• Haha
Reactions: entdgc

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Paul & Formann - I had forgotten Krescendo (bought from Richard numerous times). Linn 10 years warranty - i would have to check if thats the same in UK (now we are not part of EU).
The 10 years doesn’t refer to the warranty period. It means that manufactures have to make parts available for that time, whether or not the device is still in production or not. This is under the Right to Repair rules in the UK.

’troll

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had in the past Linn Kisto ,nobody wanted to check it,not even Linn factory.I would never ever buy any Linn product.
It’s a shame that you had a bad experience. If the Kisto was no longer supported, that would explain why Linn wouldn’t look at it. If it had been modified or had previously had Unauthorised repairs they wouldn’t touch it either. It was a very complicated device, so no surprise that you couldn’t find anyone else to look at it.

’troll

hodge555

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 6, 2018
London, UK
www.hoth.uk
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought my 5125 back in early 2002 and it's been used very regularly ever since.
In August 2020 however it popped something from the PSU board.
I took it to my dealer who sent it to the factory for repair, cost £360.
I thought that was pretty good tbh.
I did buy myself a spare 5125 however, just in case :) (actually it's earmarked for a 2nd system with my old 5103, which may someday be built)

Reactions: silkie

hodge555

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 6, 2018
London, UK
www.hoth.uk
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It’s a shame that you had a bad experience. If the Kisto was no longer supported, that would explain why Linn wouldn’t look at it. If it had been modified or had previously had Unauthorised repairs they wouldn’t touch it either. It was a very complicated device, so no surprise that you couldn’t find anyone else to look at it.

’troll
The Kisto and Kinos were dropped from Linn support in Sep 2017.
They are great analogue pre-amps and well worth owning.
I run a Kinos.

Having said this however they did have problems, notably from heat which would then affect the OS.
The Kinos suffered more due to it's smaller casework.
The later ones should be OK though.
One tip is never to turn them off, just leave them on standby.

My current Kinos is my second one. My first would get quite hot and it started to show OS problems, even locking up occasionally and then would struggle to re-start. My second one is a much later s/n and so far is fine (touch wood) and I note that it has a different main board.

hodge555

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 6, 2018
London, UK
www.hoth.uk
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Note that the 5105 shares components with the LK240 and they both had a recall on them to replace some capacitors which could become a fire hazard, so make sure to check that this was done. There should be a white sticker with the Linn logo on it and something to the effect, eg CAP 413 FTD.

Reactions: MickC

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Note that the 5105 shares components with the LK240 and they both had a recall on them to replace some capacitors which could become a fire hazard, so make sure to check that this was done. There should be a white sticker with the Linn logo on it and something to the effect, eg CAP 413 FTD.
Even if there is a sticker I’d probably query the serial no. with Linn as a double check.

Mick

vicdiaz

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2010
Trujillo Alto, PR
AKA
Victor Diaz
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

If the sticker is not in place check if the four black 10,000uf/63v caps were replaced with 6,800uf/85v ones. If so, then it is safe to use the amp. Linn used higher voltage but lower capacitance caps because the higher voltage 10,000uf caps would not fit in.

Reactions: hodge555

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles