Linn Owners

Linn Helpdesk — Experts in Fobbing You Off

Quasimodo

Wammer
Sep 3, 2019
Hello Linn enthusiasts,

Over the years my exchanges with the Linn Helpdesk have left much to be desired, but somehow the last two take the biscuit.

Just before Xmas 2020 my Linn DSM blew a gasket, so I called the Linn telephone number and was told outright that Linn categorically did not do repairs. I was at a total loss. It was helpful members on this forum who set that untruth to rest and pointed me in the right direction. (I'm still thankful to those helpful members.)

Now, again I contacted the helpdesk to ask why it is that I can search my classical music collection for a composer using Audirvana and Lumin and get results whereas on the Linn (iOS) app or Kazoo, nothing is returned at all. I was told that it was my media server not supplying this info. It's the same music collection where the music is tagged using 'Composer' and the same media server. Audirvana and Lumin are test cases. This is a limitation of the Linn control points. I suggest that it is routine at Linn to lay the blame elsewhere. It's always iOS, or Airplay, or the NAS, or the media server. It's never Linn.

Linn have just released a new Klimax, costing a whopping £30k. Plenty of people don't have that deposit amount for a property. For equipment that is this eye-wateringly expensive, providing software that is this shambolic is a farcical, laughable, absurd situation. As it the culture of fobbing customers off. It's contemptuous.

Am I alone in my misery or have others received short shrift? Have I simply been unlucky?

Q

Reactions: Katzky

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry to hear you have had a difficult experience with Linn.

‘I have owned Linn products for more than 20 years, and have been well treated by the Linn Help Line, and by Linn in General.

‘If I had an issue with any of my Linn speakers or electronics, my Linn dealer has contacted Linn on my behalf and resolved the issue.

When I contact Colin at the Linn Help Line, I have had a satisfactory response back from him in a reasonable time.

‘My first piece of Linn was a Movie Classik, that it turned out was not fully compatible with my Toshiba TV. Linn did not have a solution at the time, but working with the Linn distributor, I received a call, from the distributor that Linn had a solution. They sent me a brand new Movie Classik that worked brilliantly.

‘My Unidisk SC laser needed to be replaced, and was sent off to the repair depot. It arrived back at my dealer with a deep scratch on the casework. Linn dispatched a new case cover quickly and it was replaced. I credit the good working relationship I have  with my Linn dealer and with Linn.

‘I hope you get the issue resolved

uk030

DSM guy
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Berlin, Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Never had a bad experience with the Linn staff. They were always helpful and responded in a timely fashion.

But regarding the Composer feature, it doesn't work for me either.

Nothing returned in Linn iOS if I do a search for "Mozart" and filter for "Composers". It does, however, get listed under "Artists".

Well.

Seems buggy (or I guess it only works properly with Kazoo Server, but I'm using Minimserver).

Baba Yaga

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2019
Baba Yaga‘s hut
AKA
BY
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Currently several Linn customers are having a difficult time. Personally I have been waiting since Mid January for my Klimax Hub to be repaired - or a confirmation what the status is to start with. Same is true for a couple of other customers I know and for my dealer as well, who is not receiving new stuff.

A couple of people have ordered Akurate DSMs and have been waiting so far for weeks without any response. Their dealer is at a loss as well and even offered to cancel the order and refund the payment (Linn BTW seems to require pre-payment now, at least from this dealer).

All of which doesn’t sound to good...

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Upvote
Reactions: TooManyCatweazles

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Whenever I've needed service involving Linn, I've always worked directly with the dealers. They deal with HQ and as dealers, they probably get a better response. When I had the problem with my Akubariks being mislabeled, the dealer got a response from Linn almost immediately. I think Linn would rather the customers contact the dealers. Some issues can be resolved in store. Others require escalation to HQ.

CJ1045

Krescendo HiFi Partner
Wammer
Nov 6, 2009
Dorset, UK
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am not sure of Quasimodos location but for a period due to the Brexit customs disaster Linn were not repairing any items from the EU. I suspect they have found a way round that now. Equally most manufacturing firms shut down for at least  weeks over Christmas in the UK so likely Linn were shut too. I have always found Colin and Richard to be extremely helpful. 

A lot of Linn owners use Roon rather than the Linn app. It is pretty cheap versus the price of a Linn system and well worth the money. I don't know whether it would solve your composer issue (as I rarely listen to classical music) but most likely it would.

CJ

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Whenever I've needed service involving Linn, I've always worked directly with the dealers. They deal with HQ and as dealers, they probably get a better response. When I had the problem with my Akubariks being mislabeled, the dealer got a response from Linn almost immediately. I think Linn would rather the customers contact the dealers. Some issues can be resolved in store. Others require escalation to HQ.
Yep, always dealer first is my recommendation too. Anything requiring return to HQ has to be arranged through a dealer anyway - they have to obtain prior authorisation and an RSN. I sympathise with Baba Yaga, that is a long time and, I expect, a symptom of Brexit unfortunately.

’troll

Matteo

Matteo
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Milano, Italia
AKA
Matteo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello Linn enthusiasts,

Over the years my exchanges with the Linn Helpdesk have left much to be desired, but somehow the last two take the biscuit.

Just before Xmas 2020 my Linn DSM blew a gasket, so I called the Linn telephone number and was told outright that Linn categorically did not do repairs. I was at a total loss. It was helpful members on this forum who set that untruth to rest and pointed me in the right direction. (I'm still thankful to those helpful members.)

Now, again I contacted the helpdesk to ask why it is that I can search my classical music collection for a composer using Audirvana and Lumin and get results whereas on the Linn (iOS) app or Kazoo, nothing is returned at all. I was told that it was my media server not supplying this info. It's the same music collection where the music is tagged using 'Composer' and the same media server. Audirvana and Lumin are test cases. This is a limitation of the Linn control points. I suggest that it is routine at Linn to lay the blame elsewhere. It's always iOS, or Airplay, or the NAS, or the media server. It's never Linn.

Linn have just released a new Klimax, costing a whopping £30k. Plenty of people don't have that deposit amount for a property. For equipment that is this eye-wateringly expensive, providing software that is this shambolic is a farcical, laughable, absurd situation. As it the culture of fobbing customers off. It's contemptuous.

Am I alone in my misery or have others received short shrift? Have I simply been unlucky?

Q
You are not alone.

I spent more than a new NGKDSM in Linn products over the years.

After swithcing to Qobuz from Tidal, I noticed that, with both the Kazoo and Linn (iOS) apps, I cannot organize my favorite Qobuz albums for artists (they are shown only for the latest additions). This is quite annoying.

In addition, the search functionality of the apps not only searches in my favorite albums, but in the entire Qobuz catalog. This is almost useless.

I asked Linn many times during the last year to solve this Qobuz issues and their answer was always the same:

"I can advise that there has not been any progress on these issues as yet.  As advised previously, these are classed as low priority".

Frankly, I find that insulting.

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not wanting to sound unsympathetic, but they did have a lot to deal with last year.

’troll

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve always found the helpline prompt and helpful, but I completely agree that the apps are a disgrace and quite unfit for a used Sneaky DS, in terms of user friendliness, never mind for the new Klimax. 

Reactions: Billz

Quasimodo

Wammer
Sep 3, 2019
I'm sorry to hear that Matteo, old man. I have to say, I'd be mighty annoyed, too. It's all very well using a federated search across sources, but you need to be able to restrict it to selected sources, too.

I appreciate that we can try to be practical and opt for Lumin or Roon or an alternative, but it doesn't address the issue that Linn doesn't seem to care an iota about this customer touch point. Using Linn control software is an exercise in accepting futility or restriction, or at best, playing something through gritted teeth after swearing because you can't find what you're looking for. That's inexcusable. Not at those prices. 

Perhaps it really is time to ditch and switch.

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The help line has always replied to me within a reasonable amount of time. Don't forget they are just coming out of lockdown, so have been working remotely for quite a while. 

Roon becomes a lot more expensive when comparing it to prices of used Linn gear. 

Pennypacker

d^_^b
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
@Quasimodo I think your problem needs to be solved by the dealer who sold you your kit. I somewhat understand the search issue, however I’m not sure if it’s something to grind your teeth about.

In a broader sense I don’t understand all the complaints about the control apps, it does what it needs to do for 90% namely starting your music. You can ditch your DS off course, but I would not want to swap free and free updates of space optimisation for fancy search options.

Goon525

Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
I can confirm, as a mainly classical listener, that Roon is a pleasure to use, and also often provides programme notes on the music. I can’t say whether it’s worth it for you, but I’m not regretting my lifetime licence (it was cheaper when I bought it).

Nrwatson

Linn Lover
Wammer
Feb 8, 2017
London
AKA
Neale Watson
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm sorry to hear that Matteo, old man. I have to say, I'd be mighty annoyed, too. It's all very well using a federated search across sources, but you need to be able to restrict it to selected sources, too.

I appreciate that we can try to be practical and opt for Lumin or Roon or an alternative, but it doesn't address the issue that Linn doesn't seem to care an iota about this customer touch point. Using Linn control software is an exercise in accepting futility or restriction, or at best, playing something through gritted teeth after swearing because you can't find what you're looking for. That's inexcusable. Not at those prices. 

Perhaps it really is time to ditch and switch.
Sorry that isn’t fair Linn has spent a lot of time designing front ends not to every ones taste 

arm

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 8, 2018
Toronto
AKA
Anthony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All my direct contact with the Linn help line pre dates covid , but they where all for trivial enquires , so much so, I was delighted they responded as they did. Several enquires about used product I was interested in ( each time they gave me age and country of original sale ) to asking for 4 of those tiny rubber feet for my lp12 lid, which they happily send from Scotland to Canada. 

From my experience, they are stellar. 

Katzky

New Wammer
Apr 11, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Currently several Linn customers are having a difficult time. Personally I have been waiting since Mid January for my Klimax Hub to be repaired - or a confirmation what the status is to start with. Same is true for a couple of other customers I know and for my dealer as well, who is not receiving new stuff.

A couple of people have ordered Akurate DSMs and have been waiting so far for weeks without any response. Their dealer is at a loss as well and even offered to cancel the order and refund the payment (Linn BTW seems to require pre-payment now, at least from this dealer).

All of which doesn’t sound to good...
This “pre payment” thing made it sound like Linn is having cash flow issues. The dealer nearest to me indicated this is a new policy. Doesn’t really inspire confidence. If the dealer or Linn goes into bankruptcy that money is gone. Not suggesting that is the case just Linn has very little to lose waiting until delivery to receive funds. Worst case they just have an extra item in inventory. Consumer really is in a terrible position under this policy. This is the biggest issue keeping me from buying the Linn system right now. Unfortunately I’ve had to deal with a situation like this in the past involving a large $ transaction and even with an airtight contract you’re unlikely to ever collect the lost funds. Again not suggesting this is the case just it gives a really bad vibe.

arm

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 8, 2018
Toronto
AKA
Anthony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This “pre payment” thing made it sound like Linn is having cash flow issues. The dealer nearest to me indicated this is a new policy. Doesn’t really inspire confidence. If the dealer or Linn goes into bankruptcy that money is gone. Not suggesting that is the case just Linn has very little to lose waiting until delivery to receive funds. Worst case they just have an extra item in inventory. Consumer really is in a terrible position under this policy. This is the biggest issue keeping me from buying the Linn system right now. Unfortunately I’ve had to deal with a situation like this in the past involving a large $ transaction and even with an airtight contract you’re unlikely to ever collect the lost funds. Again not suggesting this is the case just it gives a really bad vibe.
It certainly means that Linn are not extending credit to ( some ? ) retailers. I know mine has asked for a partial down payment ( 50%) last June with the balance at delivery. To me this indicated that credit terms were short ( 30 days ) and the retailer who didn’t carry any Kilmax gear didn’t want to get stuck with it if I bailed given a no- risk deal scenario. 

• Upvote
Reactions: Moomintroll

Katzky

New Wammer
Apr 11, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It certainly means that Linn are not extending credit to ( some ? ) retailers. I know mine has asked for a partial down payment ( 50%) last June with the balance at delivery. To me this indicated that credit terms were short ( 30 days ) and the retailer who didn’t carry any Kilmax gear didn’t want to get stuck with it if I bailed given a no- risk deal scenario. 
Everybody wants to be a capitalist; nobody wants to take on risk. When the consumer pays up front, she is essentially extending credit to the dealer and Linn. All the risk is pushed down to the party with the least power. I can understand a 10% down payment to establish a contract. Maybe I’m just paranoid since I once lost out in a deal like this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles