linn Klimax DSM 3 Jitter measurements

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I came across a Linn video promoting the Organic and in it the engineer in charge of the development of the Organic DAC said the jitter figure was one trillionth of a second. I did ask a Linn executive for the figure but he advised that because of the different ways of measuring jitter Linn were reluctant to provide a figure. I was just interested having a figure to compare DACS.
I agree with the Linn engineer

2012 Mac mini has TOSLink out; measured jitter is 0.000000000015 seconds or 15 picoseconds (ps). Linn's 1 ps (one trillionth) is 1/15 of the MM. 1 ps is how long it takes light to travel 0.30 mm in a vacuum - keep 'dem optical cables short. DAC input receiver chips jitter are 40 ps for UltraAnalog AES 20 input receiver, 200ps for Crystal CS8412 and 5000ps (whopping 5 nanoseconds) for Yamaha YM3623. So Linn Organik is state of the art, along with Chord Pulse Array, dCS and ESS Sabre and others. They all sound different so I doubt jitter will tell you how a DAC sounds - coupled with other factors such as DSP algorithm, signal to noise and dynamic range, it might give a clue. However, a Linn DAC applying Space Optimisation will sound different from one with no Space. The other DACs have DSP options too.

Last edited:
Reactions: maddog_007

LEFHFW160

Wammer
Mar 9, 2022
Washington
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A friend of mine is doing a review of the new Linn Klimax DSM3 with the Organik DAC’s for one of the audio magazines. Linn provided him with the DSM3 for his review and he was more than impressed. The review is not out yet, as far as I know

In his opinion, this product is the best sounding streamer he has ever heard, and he has reviewed many top end streamers and DAC’s from the likes of dCs, Meitner and so on.

I don’t think jitter measurements were a consideration, as he was enthralled by the music.
Would it be possible for you to tell us the reviewer's name and/or what organization/magazine he or she is in and approximately when it will be available for public consumption ?

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Would it be possible for you to tell us the reviewer's name and/or what organization/magazine he or she is in and approximately when it will be available for public consumption ?
His name is Aron Gerrecht and he writes for Sound Stage magazine

Here is a link to his article for the Linn Klimax DSM/3 AV

https://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php/equipment-menu/1124-linn-klimax-dsm-av-dac-preamplifier

I have known Aron for about 20 years and purchased a Classé SSP800 surround processor from him, and visited him countless times as he reviews different speakers and audio components from many manufacturers. He has been a visitor to my home a number times as well

Reactions: quinn_t

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online