Linn Owners

Linn LP12 vs Digital

Ron.P

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
After reading your comment, I think the most logical, definitive solution would be for you to bring your LP12 to your dealer and audition a Klimax side by side. You would be eliminating as many variables as possible by hearing both thru the exact same system in the same space. Then you should have a good idea if a full Klimax is your end goal.

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Even digitally produced LPs sound better than any digital file when played back on the proper analogue deck.
IMHO
😇
Well, then the analog systems is introducing non-linearity (distortion) in the playback, or the digital playback system is cra_p.

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is obviously the new mantra of the "analogue is king" gang now post Mo-Fi. It was never the vinyl that made the difference (even though they failed to mention this for the past 50 years) its the machine and cartridge that makes the sound analogue !

Mark57

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
I have solved this dilemma. Sometimes I play a record because that’s what I want to do and sometimes I play the streamer because that’s what I want to do. I don’t bother trying to work out which is ‘best’ (even when I have the same music in both formats). Each is best for when I want it to be.

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I still suffer from a love-hate relationship with the medium itself, pops and crackles the most.
Me too. I read many years ago that a cartridge tracking at a (much) heavier weight just blasted through the dirt and other detritus on the record, minimizing the audio distractions(?) As this ain't ever gonna happen, I just try to ignore these distractions.

Nondigital Paul

Wammer
Jan 29, 2020
Do you mock me?
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Surface noise dropped massively after I had the Karousel installed. It got me thinking about what exactly lives in the grooves to cause it. I have many lps bought in the 80s and looked after well that have little or no noise (kept In the original paper sleeve). Some I have bought more recently from new that have many pops and crackles (from first play). There a couple of others bought from markets etc that may have been left on carpets overnight (no brainier). Apologies, there’s probably multiple Other threads for this.

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Recycled vinyl of unknown provenance was identified as a major source of record surface noise back in the 1980s. Don't know if that's still the case. Most of my LPs from the 60s are quiet but surface noise (clicks and pops) starts getting worse in in the mid 70s.

Reactions: Nopiano

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Urban myth or not ? But it's been said that 1973 was when the quality of vinyl gradually decreased. The reason was supposedly the "oil crisis" of the early 1970's and this increased the price some of the raw materials of vinyl so that "new formulations" of vinyl were introduced. This led to thinner and lower quality vinyl and thus greater surface wear. Some hardcore record collectors will only buy "first pressing pre-1973" vinyl for this reason.

Ron.P

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Urban myth or not ? But it's been said that 1973 was when the quality of vinyl gradually decreased. The reason was supposedly the "oil crisis" of the early 1970's and this increased the price some of the raw materials of vinyl so that "new formulations" of vinyl were introduced. This led to thinner and lower quality vinyl and thus greater surface wear. Some hardcore record collectors will only buy "first pressing pre-1973" vinyl for this reason.
My guess is that, like most generalities, is myth. I'm right now listening to Jim Hall's Concierto album, which although is so thin you can practically play both sides at once, sounds sublime. Recorded by Rudy Van Gelder--major reason it sounds so good. Recorded in 1975.
PS--This album can be purchased from me for a million dollars.

maddog_007

maddog_007
Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
Waterfoot ,Glasgow
AKA
dennis
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Surface noise dropped massively after I had the Karousel installed. It got me thinking about what exactly lives in the grooves to cause it. I have many lps bought in the 80s and looked after well that have little or no noise (kept In the original paper sleeve). Some I have bought more recently from new that have many pops and crackles (from first play). There a couple of others bought from markets etc that may have been left on carpets overnight (no brainier). Apologies, there’s probably multiple Other threads for this.
LP's with carpet burns?...surely not! 😀

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Staff online