• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Linn Majik (2000 model) vs Rega Elicit (2000 model) vs WHY?

Corruption

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2009
Bristol, UK
AKA
Neil
Hi all,

May be looking to consolidate my amps into an integrated setup later this year, with the idea of also trying to get one with an onboard phono stage. Budget is likely to be around £800-1000 and although buying new is an option I'm quite happy to buy pre-owned or ex-demo kit.

I already have an older 90s model Linn Majik in my 2nd system with a pair of Linn Tukans, and I am perfectly happy with the sound they produce (used just for TV output and streaming music from my laptop).

The new amp needs to be able to drive my Totem Arro speakers, which are currently being fed by a Perreaux Silhouette SX-25 power amp which only pumps out 25 w/ch (40 into the 4-ohm Totems I think). At the moment the Perreaux seems to handle the Totems well enough but I think they will sing with a bit more welly behind them :)

Does anyone with experience of the new-style Majik have any feedback they could give me on the sound quality and the overall build of the amp? Does it still have that "Linn house sound" or has it become more clinical with the new iteration?

Any fans of the Rega Elicit that would like to fight its corner? I'd love to be able to go for an Elicit-R but don't think funds will stretch that far.

Would a Brio-R be gutsy enough to drive the Totems and save me some cash?

Have I missed any other obvious contenders for a fairly powerful integrated at this price point? A phono stage is a nice to have rather than a must, but the amp would have to be something special if I am to use my whole budget.

Thanks in advance.

Neil

luckysim0n

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 23, 2013
Liverpool
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Dont discount earlier premium amps the phono stages in them are worthy of a listen Sony ES range has a good following on the wam

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I quite like the elicit, and the on board phono stage (optional) is non too shabby. Pop over to PFM and have a word with folkman, he has just had a isis/Osiris on home dem, and although decided to go with the isis, decided he preferred the elicit over its much more expensive big brother. When I tried the elicit, with a view to reducing the box count, I decided to stay with the pre-mono's, but may have to revisit the idea,

Boegelund

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 14, 2013
Hi all,May be looking to consolidate my amps into an integrated setup later this year, with the idea of also trying to get one with an onboard phono stage. Budget is likely to be around £800-1000 and although buying new is an option I'm quite happy to buy pre-owned or ex-demo kit.

I already have an older 90s model Linn Majik in my 2nd system with a pair of Linn Tukans, and I am perfectly happy with the sound they produce (used just for TV output and streaming music from my laptop).

The new amp needs to be able to drive my Totem Arro speakers, which are currently being fed by a Perreaux Silhouette SX-25 power amp which only pumps out 25 w/ch (40 into the 4-ohm Totems I think). At the moment the Perreaux seems to handle the Totems well enough but I think they will sing with a bit more welly behind them :)

Does anyone with experience of the new-style Majik have any feedback they could give me on the sound quality and the overall build of the amp? Does it still have that "Linn house sound" or has it become more clinical with the new iteration?

Any fans of the Rega Elicit that would like to fight its corner? I'd love to be able to go for an Elicit-R but don't think funds will stretch that far.

Would a Brio-R be gutsy enough to drive the Totems and save me some cash?

Have I missed any other obvious contenders for a fairly powerful integrated at this price point? A phono stage is a nice to have rather than a must, but the amp would have to be something special if I am to use my whole budget.

Thanks in advance.

Neil
Sorry to say I own a LK Majik in secondary setup too, I preferred it to a friends recent non dynamikked Majik, which left me with no further interest in Linn current amp range.

As for the Elicit non R, its another matter entirely

A fine amp but do try the Brio first, its no slouch either and has a nice tone where Elicit is more analytical

imo a Brio is the business at a very acceptable price

Try listen to a Naim 5i - great budget amp or better still some CB or early olive serviced if possible

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zymaze