Linn Space optimization

Neil1975

New Wammer
Dec 18, 2021
Hi all,

I have got a Linn Kilmax DSM which came last month, my speakers are Wilson Benesch Cardinal.

I have it in a room that has tiled floors and loads of glass windows floor to ceiling, so it sounded very boomy. I did the space optimization and the detail was incredible but lost all the bass and warmth. I have been playing with the slider and moving it down the flatter frequency from what Linn had at 80%.

Question for anyone who can help, I needed to bring it down to 15% and it now sounds warmer and has the base but not boomy. Does bringing the floater frequency down bring it towards what it is without space optimization eg if it was 0% would it be like no space optimization? Also does it affect the medium and higher frequencies by bringing it down like I did, feels like I might be artificially creating a problem on mid and highs. With such a good system I don’t know exactly what it is doing bringing to 15%.

any advice please

thanks

Neil

HansBertil

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
Sweden
AKA
Bertil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all,

I have got a Linn Kilmax DSM which came last month, my speakers are Wilson Benesch Cardinal.

I have it in a room that has tiled floors and loads of glass windows floor to ceiling, so it sounded very boomy. I did the space optimization and the detail was incredible but lost all the bass and warmth. I have been playing with the slider and moving it down the flatter frequency from what Linn had at 80%.

Question for anyone who can help, I needed to bring it down to 15% and it now sounds warmer and has the base but not boomy. Does bringing the floater frequency down bring it towards what it is without space optimization eg if it was 0% would it be like no space optimization? Also does it affect the medium and higher frequencies by bringing it down like I did, feels like I might be artificially creating a problem on mid and highs. With such a good system I don’t know exactly what it is doing bringing to 15%.

any advice please

thanks

Neil
First of all, welcome to the forum. Secondly I think you’ll be better off posting this in the Linn club section: https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/clubs/1-linn-owners-club-and-forum/

But I can give you my view on this: Space Optimization works on frequencies up to 80 Hz in order not to mess with mid and high frequencies. However, when taking some bass out of the spectra the potential bass masking effect on mid and highs is reduced. Therefore the mid and highs can be perceived as affected. The preference slider (the % value) doesn’t change any frequencies, it only changes the depths and widths of the notches in the frequency response below 80 Hz.

My experience of SO in my system is that the default preference slider value is a bit high. Some tuning is required. And as usual, if it sounds good it is good. 

If you want further opinions please post your questions in the Linn section. 

PS. Interesting speakers btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: newlash09

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles