stoke on trent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No LV owners thread!!??? How rude!

show us your 'emperors new clothes'

ive had a few in my time.....

started with mk1 Auditoriums in cherry.Arrived in a state but help came in the form of Ashley from AVi who supplied drivers FOC. Nice fella. I liked them but never really got them right. A bit fizzy and loose in the bass and I could 'sense' the cabinet.

i bought some exdem Santos rosewood Avatar IIs from tomtom Audio. I loved these but at the time I was saving to get married so they were a temporary thing. Compared the Mk1 Auditorium they were less boxy, more controlled, refined and solid in the bass. A very notable step up IMO.

Lots of Audionotes etc followed! Then Harbeths etc :)

i dropped on some Maple Avatar IIs cheap and snapped them up. Sounded great but stood out visually ...so...

next... I bought some brand new Avatar IIs from Kevin that were seconds, the cabinets were Santos Rosewood again, my favourite. The experience of buying from Kevin was brilliant, the visit to Definitive quite inspiring.

Sold them to pay for some jobs on the house and regretted it.

Next.... OBXR2s. These were a strip again especially in presence and detail and somehow sounding bigger and more cut loose. Hate the crossovers and hate cherry finish but know I'll regret selling them. Doesn't stop me though :D the sale pays for plastering and decorating.

then recently I dropped on some earlier OBXS in Yew. A bit tatty but still look great. I've tried to hide the crossovers but I'll just have to accept them as i

live the sound. I may have to buy new bases as the look scruffy and they have few knocks but with the trafomatic driving them they are the best sound I've had.

Setting up up takes time but rewards with very notable improvements. Get them wrong and they are flabby, boxy do not image at all. Get them right and they are so 'right'.

null_zps99645859.jpg

Note the the nutty positioning. Wide and heavy toe in, they disappear and the the image comes together and the balance just slots into place. I know they are a bit marmite but for the price you can pick them up for, they are superb and I've not had better.

Show us your boxes!!!

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
No LV owners thread!!??? How rude!show us your 'emperors new clothes'

ive had a few in my time.....

started with mk1 Auditoriums in cherry.Arrived in a state but help came in the form of Ashley from AVi who supplied drivers FOC. Nice fella. I liked them but never really got them right. A bit fizzy and loose in the bass and I could 'sense' the cabinet.

i bought some exdem Santos rosewood Avatar IIs from tomtom Audio. I loved these but at the time I was saving to get married so they were a temporary thing. Compared the Mk1 Auditorium they were less boxy, more controlled, refined and solid in the bass. A very notable step up IMO.

Lots of Audionotes etc followed! Then Harbeths etc :)

i dropped on some Maple Avatar IIs cheap and snapped them up. Sounded great but stood out visually ...so...

next... I bought some brand new Avatar IIs from Kevin that were seconds, the cabinets were Santos Rosewood again, my favourite. The experience of buying from Kevin was brilliant, the visit to Definitive quite inspiring.

Sold them to pay for some jobs on the house and regretted it.

Next.... OBXR2s. These were a strip again especially in presence and detail and somehow sounding bigger and more cut loose. Hate the crossovers and hate cherry finish but know I'll regret selling them. Doesn't stop me though :D the sale pays for plastering and decorating.

then recently I dropped on some earlier OBXS in Yew. A bit tatty but still look great. I've tried to hide the crossovers but I'll just have to accept them as i

live the sound. I may have to buy new bases as the look scruffy and they have few knocks but with the trafomatic driving them they are the best sound I've had.

Setting up up takes time but rewards with very notable improvements. Get them wrong and they are flabby, boxy do not image at all. Get them right and they are so 'right'.

null_zps99645859.jpg

Note the the nutty positioning. Wide and heavy toe in, they disappear and the the image comes together and the balance just slots into place. I know they are a bit marmite but for the price you can pick them up for, they are superb and I've not had better.

Show us your boxes!!!
Steve agree totally, WIDE apart and these things can sound mental!!!

Tubesonix

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 28, 2014
Chatham
AKA
Chris
I 'only' have an old pair of Auditoriums but Definitive did me a deal on new drivers (foam issues on the old ones) and they still amaze me, truly superb Loudspeakers that I'll probably never change - at least nothing has surpassed them yet here! I recently placed them on Marble plinths and spikes/shoes and bought them up another gear.

I totally agree with the placement toe in - vital in my book and also amazing how much they change with wall placement, experimentation and more yield super results. I currently have mine quite close to the wall with the ports baffled and the soundstage is almost holographic to my ears, whilst still delivering oodles of bass without it being boomy.

I love them :p

voyduser

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2011
Ireland
AKA
Laurence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another LV devotee here. These are original Auditoriums bought from Gary Dews along with his Voyd that I still own.

Running them with an Audio Innovations S500 and they're sounding better than ever. They even sound good with Naim amps !

These are as wide as I (well, swmbo) can have them at the moment but the plan is to fire them down the length of the room so I'll be able to get them a bit wider apart.

Toed in works for me too - everything just snaps into focus.

2014-05-20%2016.42.03.jpg

falcoron

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jan 17, 2006
Belfast, , United Ki
AKA
RON
superb speakers! dont know why they are a marmite item, Love what my AN-E's do but thats with a low power SET amp and what they are designed for but when i had a bit more power with the Hyperion 18w monos, TT Unisis PP el84 intereated or better still my ART 845 SE carissa boy did these sing and dig deep into everything i feed them. Poistioning is vital. i dont think i had them apart enough but still i loved the sound these gave me. Prices these go for now used makes these a blisteringly good bargain. Having said that i'm not including the Auditoriums, in my veiw these are very average and expensive new for what they are. avatar II up and your on the right path IMHO.

Bourney

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2006
stoke on trent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had LVs sound cack in my room. Totally flat, no bounce or verve. How I have them now and being driven by a well matched amp - 40w ish with a meaty bottom end suits them down to the ground. I always thought the bass was a notable compromise that you had to accept to enjoy the other bits they do so well, but i don't know. It's grunty, very even and really flows. I've stopped thinking about speakers and amps really for the last few months.

hificricketboy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 21, 2008
W Midlands
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I like my LVs as they tick so many boxes including the swmbo test.

Here's the view from my listening seat...not ideal with am L shaped room but that's my largest compromise I guess.

[/img]

hificricketboy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 21, 2008
W Midlands
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What's the benefits of the copper Kondo crossover cables likely to be on my OBXs?

(I currently have 8TC and 4TC from the crossovers. )

M

Mike P

Pretty significant if you believe in that sort of thing! :)

What's the benefits of the copper Kondo crossover cables likely to be on my OBXs?(I currently have 8TC and 4TC from the crossovers. )

M

Mike P

Well I for one think that the Kondo cable makes a very worthwhile upgrade. I'd say go for it.

hificricketboy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 21, 2008
W Midlands
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cheers. I'm a bit of a believer in some of the cable chatter but only to a point! Might have to try a sneaky little upgrade on the quiet...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles