LOOKING! For an Active monitor??

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am looking for an Active Studio Monitor that can match or better the Event Opal Studio Monitor but is there such a thing?  I have a budget of 3k maybe 3.5k if there's something special at that price so looking for advice/pointers from the Active speaker community please.

I have been trying to source a new pair of Event Opals with no success and companies don't update their websites so just keep getting disapointed time & again.  There are 2 second hand pairs for sale on eBay but a bit nervous about going down that route🙄

diceman

Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've not followed your path but I have looked at a pair of Event Opals as an idea for the office system and just wanted to make sure you were aware of the chnages in specifictaion of them over the years? What you purchase new or used may not be like the units you have heard.

IIRC the earliest variants had beryllium tweeters and there were other changes - I've not heard the differences but just to make you aware. More info in the post below.

https://gearspace.com/board/high-end/273071-new-event-opal-monitors-not-your-regular-speakers-40.html

Reactions: MVJ

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I personally like Neumann Active monitors for tracking and mixing. I don’t have a lot of experience listening to HiFi through them but they are technically superb and I can work on them all day without fatigue; this is a huge feat of excellence as completely flat transparent monitors normally mean that they could be fatiguing.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've not followed your path but I have looked at a pair of Event Opals as an idea for the office system and just wanted to make sure you were aware of the chnages in specifictaion of them over the years? What you purchase new or used may not be like the units you have heard.

IIRC the earliest variants had beryllium tweeters and there were other changes - I've not heard the differences but just to make you aware. More info in the post below.

https://gearspace.com/board/high-end/273071-new-event-opal-monitors-not-your-regular-speakers-40.html
Thanks for the link some interesting info there👍

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I personally like Neumann Active monitors for tracking and mixing. I don’t have a lot of experience listening to HiFi through them but they are technically superb and I can work on them all day without fatigue; this is a huge feat of excellence as completely flat transparent monitors normally mean that they could be fatiguing.
Hi Dom, Funny you mention Neumann as one of companies in London I tried to buy some from but they had no stock suggested a pair of Neumann KH310 3 way monitors.Which model do you use?

Last edited by a moderator:

antonio66

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2018
Grimsby/Phnom Penh
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Someone mentioned Unity Audio on one of the forums a couple of days ago, may have been on here, but having never heard of them looked them up on the net. I did see they made a speaker called the Boulder, but at £5k a little over budget. They also did a couple of smaller speakers, I believe called the Rock, are they better than your Event Opals, I've no idea, you'd have to go take a listen yourself.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Someone mentioned Unity Audio on one of the forums a couple of days ago, may have been on here, but having never heard of them looked them up on the net. I did see they made a speaker called the Boulder, but at £5k a little over budget. They also did a couple of smaller speakers, I believe called the Rock, are they better than your Event Opals, I've no idea, you'd have to go take a listen yourself.
I'll take a look at that thanksfor posting👍

Reactions: antonio66

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think ATC have the market other than the odd PMC. 
before I moved, I was thinking of going ATC and the dealer near me then, used my Primaluna pre on some 
40’s and was impressed.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think ATC have the market other than the odd PMC. 
before I moved, I was thinking of going ATC and the dealer near me then, used my Primaluna pre on some 
40’s and was impressed.
Thanks I'll have to consider all makes I guess there are quite a few ATC owners on the wam too👍

jumpmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 15, 2008
Hull, , United Kingd
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Barefoot?  I remember the founder, Thomas Barefoot, popping up on the WHF forum about 10 years ago.  Seemed a very sensible chap.  It only took a few posts before I think he realised audiophiles are nutcases and we never saw him again.  Anyway, back then Barefoot monitors were getting some very good reviews in SOS and a quick look shows some interesting looking options around your budget.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Barefoot?  I remember the founder, Thomas Barefoot, popping up on the WHF forum about 10 years ago.  Seemed a very sensible chap.  It only took a few posts before I think he realised audiophiles are nutcases and we never saw him again.  Anyway, back then Barefoot monitors were getting some very good reviews in SOS and a quick look shows some interesting looking options around your budget.
Thanks I'll check them out👍

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Dom, Funny you mention Neumann as one of companies in London I tried to buy some from buy they had no stock suggested a pair of Neumann KH310 3 way monitors.Which model do you use?
I previously used the KH310 but when we moved they got sold with a lot of other stuff (about 70% of the studio got sold - but I still have 7 synths!) to create more space.  In my second home I have some KH80 DSPs and they are great.  I bought them instead of the 310s because a) I am only in the second home for a maximum of one year, b) I needed something really small to use with just one synth, and c) I wanted to see what a very small monitor could do.  

There is a sub called the 750 that apparently combines well with the 80s but I haven't heard it. The sub also uses DSP to work with the 310s and 120s.  Worth reading up on it; link below.

The Technical Director of SoundonSound magazine did a review of the 310s, 120s and the 80s.  His comparison is interesting as he said that at lower volumes it was difficult to tell if he was listening to the 80s or the 310s.  The reviews are all online.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/neumann-kh310a

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/neumann-kh80-dsp

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/neumann-kh120a-kh810

https://en-de.neumann.com/kh-750-dsp

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They are selling quite well in pro audio shops but I haven't heard them personally.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks everyone for posting but I am sorted because it turns out the chap on eBay is on pfm & I've been able to have a great chat with him a really nice bloke & I'm buying his Event Opals so I'm well chuffed.

Thanks again all.   Steve.

Knipester

Wammer
HiFi Trade
Jul 29, 2014
Leeds
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
You’d be welcome to come and have a listen to my Dutch & Dutch 8cs Steve above your budget but would show you what modern actives can do. 

Although said that I’ve not forgiven you for selling the tannoys I refinished for you 

• Haha
Reactions: hiesteem and MVJ

Jezmond

Wammer
May 21, 2021
Thanks everyone for posting but I am sorted because it turns out the chap on eBay is on pfm & I've been able to have a great chat with him a really nice bloke & I'm buying his Event Opals so I'm well chuffed.

Thanks again all.   Steve.
Hi Steve, 

Absolutely delighted the Opals are going to find a good home and great to chat this evening. They really are a cracking speaker and in terms of VFM, very little touches them. 

I’ve loved my time with the Event’s but I enjoy living with different speakers. So out go the Events and in come ATC’s. If I don’t get on with them, I still have my beloved Epos ES14’s to fall back on with Avondale amps. But I think I may miss the Opals just a little…

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.