Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As part of my LP12 update (Karousel, Kore, Lingo 4, Trampolinn), I got a new clear lid for the old girl.  The old, smoked, lid was in very good condition but I thought dated the table.  I see Linn has gone to a round/oval label on the top which, frankly, looks a little cheap to me!  Anyone know when (or why) they made this change?

mskaye

mskaye
Wammer
Jul 8, 2019
US
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As part of my LP12 update (Karousel, Kore, Lingo 4, Trampolinn), I got a new clear lid for the old girl.  The old, smoked, lid was in very good condition but I thought dated the table.  I see Linn has gone to a round/oval label on the top which, frankly, looks a little cheap to me!  Anyone know when (or why) they made this change?
Actually, if Linn made a new version of the "smoked" dustcover, I'd buy one.  Dated to some and cool retro/nostalgia to others.   

• Upvote
Reactions: Ady

jimification

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2012
Agree. and it doesn't echo / relate to any of the other design elements of the table. Would much prefer it without.

My guess is the oval recess that it sits within was a standard offering of the company which produces the lid and Linn merely made up something to fit into that.

HBerg

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have 3 smoked lids and one clear. All of them have rectangular label. On the smoked it's marked with Linn Sondek and the Linn logo. On the clear it says only Linn and no logo. Prefer those to the oval ones.

VinylHabit

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2016
Might be less to do branding, and more to do with the molding process, and whoever is making them?

Having a square recess right where you are injecting the plastic would create unwanted flow marks from the sharp points, unless you are very careful. 

I agree that the 'Linn' on it's own looks better than with the logo. 

Wirh all the mods done to cars, there must be a way to tint the inside of a lid for the retro look, on an unscratched fresh lid? 

Or for that matter, it would be really easy for Linn to get some made just by adding a different plastic mix. Would be great to go with their just launched fluted plinth. Maybe some of the retailers could request it? 

Reactions: Moomintroll

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Actually, my last deck, bought around 2007/2008 (my third LP12), came with a lid without a logo, which surprised me a lot. The new one of course has the oval logo.

hifipm

Hifipm
Wammer
Dec 17, 2019
Canada
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The oval logo has been used by Linn for some time (10-15yrs) on speakers and the dust cover and I'm sure was a deliberate change on Linn's part

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's a good point, too.

0-Black_2021-03-24-193845.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Both my mid-80's and mid-90's decks had the rectangular logos, so a bit random to say the very least.