Linn Owners

LP12 take 2

Dazza1

New Wammer
Apr 9, 2022
Leicester UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all and nice to see the linn forum is still alive and kicking after Linn closed it down a few years ago.
We’ll just before Linn finished hosting the forum I posted on there asking for suggestions on an LP12 with a budget of around 5-6k and out of courtesy thought I would update you.
Many of you on this forum gave me very good advice and guidance on which way to go and I am pleased to announce I have finally got my LP12.
I am fortunate living close to Leicester that my nearest dealer is Cymbiosis and Peter and his team helped me with my purchase.
I ended up with a brand new oak turntable with karousel, serviced lingo 1 and a mint ittok arm with a AT95SH cartridge.. I also bought some new speakers so didn’t spend all my budget on the LP12.
This is my second LP12 as probably like many of you I had one in the late 80’s which I foolishly sold in the mid 90’s. I bought A Rega P2 and Brio amp to get me started about 5 years ago and thoroughly enjoying all things vinyl again. No idea how far I will go with the LP12 but it is fantastic just as it is so very pleased with Peter’s creation.
A picture below of my turntable

Attachments

• E7E548C3-17CE-48C9-B0BB-B5B23EFB0E7A.jpeg
    E7E548C3-17CE-48C9-B0BB-B5B23EFB0E7A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 119

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all and nice to see the linn forum is still alive and kicking after Linn closed it down a few years ago.
We’ll just before Linn finished hosting the forum I posted on there asking for suggestions on an LP12 with a budget of around 5-6k and out of courtesy thought I would update you.
Many of you on this forum gave me very good advice and guidance on which way to go and I am pleased to announce I have finally got my LP12.
I am fortunate living close to Leicester that my nearest dealer is Cymbiosis and Peter and his team helped me with my purchase.
I ended up with a brand new oak turntable with karousel, serviced lingo 1 and a mint ittok arm with a AT95SH cartridge.. I also bought some new speakers so didn’t spend all my budget on the LP12.
This is my second LP12 as probably like many of you I had one in the late 80’s which I foolishly sold in the mid 90’s. I bought A Rega P2 and Brio amp to get me started about 5 years ago and thoroughly enjoying all things vinyl again. No idea how far I will go with the LP12 but it is fantastic just as it is so very pleased with Peter’s creation.
I can see why you went for the new table with Karousel, which is probably the most important part of the latest Lp12. May I ask, did you compare it with the new Majik?

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Very nice way to get an LP12 on a budget with a high level of musical perfromance. I'm guessing that you got a Majik sub chassis but even with a Cirkus sub chassis that table will be more musical than a Majik LP12. A rebuilt Lingo 1 is easily more musical than a Majik power supply and also gives easy 33/45 speed change (something that can definitely not be said about the Majik PS). The Ittok is also a superior arm to the Krane. The cartridge is a good place to economize and the AT VM95 series are good entry level cartridges (when you can get them - we've been waiting over six months for our most recent order from them). So a good package that should keep you happily spinning records for some time. Congratulations!

Fine amp to run it through as well.

Reactions: maddog_007

Dazza1

New Wammer
Apr 9, 2022
Leicester UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can see why you went for the new table with Karousel, which is probably the most important part of the latest Lp12. May I ask, did you compare it with the new Majik?
Hi and thank you all for your comments, I started my audition listening to the latest Majik with the Krane arm and it sounded very good compared to my old Rega P2, no real surprise there.
However Peter immediately recommended If I went for a secondhand serviced lingo 1 and cirkus subchassis, along with a lovely Ittok he had just got in from a trade in I would have a far superior deck. He had all these items in stock so seemed like a no brainier and all for a similar cost of a Majik LP12.
I went to pick it up and when Peter demoed it I was blown away by how much more musical it was compared to the standard Majik LP12. I now have no immediate desire to upgrade, whereas I feel if I had bought a standard Majik I probably would.
I shall sit back and enjoy it and save up for a new amplifier in the future as my week link now is my Rega Brio, although I must say it is a fantastic little amp and I’m not in any rush to upgrade it just yet.
For anyone considering buying a Majik LP12 if you have the opportunity to buy good quality secondhand parts then I can highly recommend it as you will get far better value for money, but more importantly better superior sound quality.

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi and thank you all for your comments, I started my audition listening to the latest Majik with the Krane arm and it sounded very good compared to my old Rega P2, no real surprise there.
However Peter immediately recommended If I went for a secondhand serviced lingo 1 and cirkus subchassis, along with a lovely Ittok he had just got in from a trade in I would have a far superior deck. He had all these items in stock so seemed like a no brainier and all for a similar cost of a Majik LP12.
I went to pick it up and when Peter demoed it I was blown away by how much more musical it was compared to the standard Majik LP12. I now have no immediate desire to upgrade, whereas I feel if I had bought a standard Majik I probably would.
I shall sit back and enjoy it and save up for a new amplifier in the future as my week link now is my Rega Brio, although I must say it is a fantastic little amp and I’m not in any rush to upgrade it just yet.
For anyone considering buying a Majik LP12 if you have the opportunity to buy good quality secondhand parts then I can highly recommend it as you will get far better value for money, but more importantly better superior sound quality.
Yes, I would also want to develop my own Lp12, because I too have a preferred sound that I like. The good thing about the Lp12 is it's modular design. Personally I would have added the karousel bearing, to suit my taste and perhaps a unipivot like the Moerch up4. But that's the beauty of creating our own sound and part of the fun of the hobby.

Dazza1

New Wammer
Apr 9, 2022
Leicester UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, I would also want to develop my own Lp12, because I too have a preferred sound that I like. The good thing about the Lp12 is it's modular design. Personally I would have added the karousel bearing, to suit my taste and perhaps a unipivot like the Moerch up4. But that's the beauty of creating our own sound and part of the fun of the hobby.
Yes I agree that’s the beauty of the LP12 you can make it very personal to you and I had lots of options with a £6k budget. I decided from the off I wanted a new turntable to illuminate any issues and of course I get the karousel and the deck is pristine. I considered a unipivot arm like the Roksan Nima for example, but felt a bit nervous using it and when Peter showed me the mint Ittok it was like having an old friend back, as my 80’s LP12 had the same. I didn’t want the faff of using the adapter to change the speed so lingo was a must and again Peter had a nice fully serviced one in his stock.
My original plan was to get a new LP12/radikal making up the rest with good used parts but the boss in doors didn’t like the speakers I had so I bought a new pair of Majik 109’s in oak to match the LP12 and the Hifi rack you see in my picture is also new, so she is happier now with the look. Plus the recent price increases made it less affordable for a radikal on my budget.
Anyway great to be back in the LP12 world again and buying more vinyl than I perhaps should.

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes I agree that’s the beauty of the LP12 you can make it very personal to you and I had lots of options with a £6k budget. I decided from the off I wanted a new turntable to illuminate any issues and of course I get the karousel and the deck is pristine. I considered a unipivot arm like the Roksan Nima for example, but felt a bit nervous using it and when Peter showed me the mint Ittok it was like having an old friend back, as my 80’s LP12 had the same. I didn’t want the faff of using the adapter to change the speed so lingo was a must and again Peter had a nice fully serviced one in his stock.
My original plan was to get a new LP12/radikal making up the rest with good used parts but the boss in doors didn’t like the speakers I had so I bought a new pair of Majik 109’s in oak to match the LP12 and the Hifi rack you see in my picture is also new, so she is happier now with the look. Plus the recent price increases made it less affordable for a radikal on my budget.
Anyway great to be back in the LP12 world again and buying more vinyl than I perhaps should.
I envy you Dazza. Because you have made solid decisions and great for you to be back in the Lp12 groove. It is a great table and I feel unsure as to which way to go. I'm Looking at Notts Dais with Moerch dp6 and my own Lp12 version. I think to develop your own Linn table is the way to go for best sound and value.

Reactions: Dazza1

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very nice and a good choice of record.

DG…

Dazza1

New Wammer
Apr 9, 2022
Leicester UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very nice and a good choice of record.

DG…
DG…
Yes I am very pleased with my setup, and after over 100hrs of listening it has just got better now the new elements (karousel, Majik 109’s and AT VM95 Shibata) have bedded in. I really enjoy reading about other members LP12 experiences at all levels of the hierarchy. I plan to enjoy my system as it is few a few years and see how things develop with the 50th anniversary coming up. Personally I can’t see my journey going any further than lingo4 or used A/Radikal, kore. This stems from a Linn staff demo at Cymbiosis when the lingo 4 and urika 2 first came out.
No question Klimax LP12 demo of urika 2 against urika 1 sounded better than Akurate LP12, (I preferred Urika 2 which went against my all analogue karma, but just goes to show it’s all about the music and if it sounds better to you, it is better).
Anyway the urika demo’s we’re very subtle in their differences I thought, but the lingo 3/4 demo was far more apparent in that the 4 was way better.
Back to a lazy Sunday afternoon of vinyl

Reactions: Wenge1 and akamatsu

rjinaz86323

old fart with new tastes
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2021
Chino Valley, AZ
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Congrats. I too just got back into vinyl with an LP12. Mine is a little more basic that your, but I still love the sound. I have an '87 plinth, Cirkus, Trampoline, Herc PS, Akito, Adikt. I also purchased a Majik DSM/4 which I understand uses some of the designs architecture from it's higher end siblings, the Urika II and the Katalyst. At any rate is sounds great. I am sure we will have many hours enjoyment from our newly acquired gear.
F6dhafah.jpg

Last edited:

Wenge1

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 19, 2021
West Yorkshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Congrats. I too just got back into vinyl with a LP12. Mine is a little more basic that your, but I still love the sound. I have an '87 plinth, Cirkus, Trampoline, Herc PS, Akito, Adikt. I also purchased a Majik DSM/4 which I understand uses some of the designs architecture from it's higher end siblings, the Urika II and the Katalyst. At any rate is sounds great. I am sure we will have many hours enjoyment from our newly acquired gear.

The level of LP12 does not matter when it comes to the musical enjoyment of vinyl IMHO. I have loved all the different levels of my LP12 over the last 33 years. From my very first LP12 to my current LP12 which my late 80's self would have considered stratospheric and unobtainable - I have loved every minute of the journey. Enjoy; as I'm sure you will ....... :cool:

Dazza1

New Wammer
Apr 9, 2022
Leicester UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Congrats. I too just got back into vinyl with an LP12. Mine is a little more basic that your, but I still love the sound. I have an '87 plinth, Cirkus, Trampoline, Herc PS, Akito, Adikt. I also purchased a Majik DSM/4 which I understand uses some of the designs architecture from it's higher end siblings, the Urika II and the Katalyst. At any rate is sounds great. I am sure we will have many hours enjoyment from our newly acquired gear.
F6dhafah.jpg

Love your deck there’s something special about the original Afro fluted plinth, I sometimes wish I had gone for a fluted oak finish with my new deck.
I think it’s important to remember any LP12 of any vintage will sound lovely as long as it’s set up correctly.
I now have a matching HIFI Racks wall shelf which has improved performance significantly as I had big issues with my old suspended wooden floor.

1662320120185.jpeg

Andyt916

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2020
Hertfordshire, UK
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Love your deck there’s something special about the original Afro fluted plinth, I sometimes wish I had gone for a fluted oak finish with my new deck.
I think it’s important to remember any LP12 of any vintage will sound lovely as long as it’s set up correctly.
I now have a matching HIFI Racks wall shelf which has improved performance significantly as I had big issues with my old suspended wooden floor.

1662320120185.jpeg
Looking good. I think that's possibly the nicest-looking non-fluted LP12 I've seen in a while.

Always like to see another Ittok too :cool:

rjinaz86323

old fart with new tastes
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2021
Chino Valley, AZ
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nice looking stand. I am fortunate in that regard, as I have a tile on a concrete floor, so it's good and stable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DevonRob