LURCHES South Coast Summer Bake-off, Sunday August 14th PO19.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It will actually make a nice change to have a CD front-end as well as analogue for the playroom, looking forward to it. I'm happy to bring along my CXC transport as an alternative to the CD63? Easy enough to stick in the car. I have the Arcam DAC too if you want something with a balanced output?

wizmax

"Inestimable" Reel to Reel expert
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2010
Hayling Island
AKA
Robin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think that the 10 shelves of CDs in the main room might suffice Chris.

Snoopdog

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 30, 2005
Winchester, Hants
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With the mercury set to be north of thirty degrees, I beseech the fifteen or so attendees, to apply plenty of deodorant and if those shreddies have been on for a few days or more, then do change them, for the benefit of the closely-packed assembly! ;)

Ward

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2010
AKA
Ward
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi John, unfortunately I am going to have to miss out on this bake-off.
Just back from a holiday and knackered.
Hope you all have a great get together and John's chips are as good as ever
Ward

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Do we have plenty of cool-running amps to use in the playroom instead of valves? Lest John has to mop up a dozen melted Wammers from his carpet....

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't worry about sweaty minging bodies folks, it's all in hand. I've acquired one of those backpack garden sprayers and a gallon of Brut 33 to fumigate everyone should the stench get out of hand.

GLB

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2015
Newquey Cornwall
AKA
Chris Schwar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Car packed up and ready for the 6,30 a,m off . bringing some speaker cables hopefully peeps will bring .power cables and interconnects .

Audio Al

Confirmed Super Numpty
Wammer
Nov 4, 2012
Boston, Lincs
AKA
Allen
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have fun people , I will be thinking of you all , Err sorry start again , I will be thinking of the 3 x chips :) (y)

Reactions: Lurch

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I helped John with prepping the venue early doors and the throng is assembling as we speak.

Mayebazza (who is coming the furthest) is not yet here but GLB and Radiant Red/Rockchild are here from the West Country already.

Meanwhile Jess and Brook are setting up the second system..met I.D.S. for the first time buut Rockchild I knew in a past life when I bought my Cran Rock from him..small world!

Let the fun begin..

Jack NSM

Snoopdog

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 30, 2005
Winchester, Hants
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just back home from another of John’s soirie’s! As always, John was the perfect host, plying us with fish fingers and triple-cooked Maris Piper chips and an abundance of cake!

It was good to reconnect with the old crowd as well as meeting some new faces, John (Rockchild), Ian (I.D.S), Barrington (mayebaza) and Edward (Edwardlon)

Looking forward to seeing you next Saturday at mine!

Edward

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 9, 2016
West Sussex
AKA
Edward
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great day at Lurch's BO. Thanks very much to all that made me feel very welcome. Good sounds and world class kit. Thanks John for the hospitality (and food). Looking forward to the next one.

(y):)

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just got home guys (three rings😊) great to meet you all and re meet some old contacts. Wonderful day John, thank you. I managed a sun tan too 😊

Reactions: deggie

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Edward, Ian, and John (Rockchild) were new faces for me - or so I thought until John reminded me he sold me one of my Cranfield Rocks many years ago when he was associated with Guildford Audi (Hifi?). I then placed him immediately.

John had arrived with GLB up from the West Country and hats off to them for being undaunted by a long journey. (Glad to see they made it back OK - see above.

Another splendid effort was made by the irrepressable Barrington (alias Mayebazza), down from the West Midlands (and booked in for Snoopdog's gig as well! Top Wammer!

We are lucky at Chez Lurch to have a patio to spread the bodies and to provide space for more relaxed chat and smoking. The front listening room, what with having a lot of new equipment to enjoy in there, including Chris's excellent Acoustic Zen speakers, proved a popular focus of attention and at times it was difficult to get a seat, let alone access.

It has to be said that not everyone got a look in..

Food was well up to par as was intelligent conversation and the usual Wam gossip from different angles and with familiar names cropping up.

Brook did a splendid job spinning the discs (CD didnt happen) on his super Spacedeck and Analogue Instruments Uni/Clearaudio vintage MC, though he and I do not see eye to eye as to the goals here. I'm all for controlled software leading to definite assessment of the kit, whereas Brook insists 'its not a competition!' I beg to differ - my modus operandus is to limit listening to a minimum of tracks, and to hold a track for another play when a piece of kit is replaced, thus getting a good handle on things. Brook, if I may say so, sees his role as an entertaining one and considers my approach boring.

SQ became excellent in there as the day wore on possibly helped by the speakers settling in after lying on their sides over a long journey, or was it the suspension loosening up with use?- who knows. We know how good Jess's combo is and another sparkler was Robin's ARC pre. Also Jules's ARC integrated put in a solid performance, and the Bigbottle has many admirers round these parts and did them proud. A negative for me (and I'm known for this) was the excessive (imo) volume this system was played at. Jess had her phone-based SPL meter on and we recorded 87 db in that small room.

We pretty much ran the place dry of soft drinks, though Lurch enjoys something a bit stronger - host's privilege of course and he aint drivin..

Another good one, and it was nice of the new guests to provide a bit of colour (literally and metaphorically) to brighten up the lives of the regulars.
Mild banter was to be had and you had to love it when Rockchild pointed at Lurch on arrival and enquired - 'who's this?'
Jack NSM

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.