• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

mains conditioning

B

batman

whats the best mains conditioner you guys have experienced , without stiffling the sound , or even a good quality mains block . any feedback helpful cheers guys

PAG

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Wirral.
AKA
si
QED Qonduit mains filter... opens up the sound more than others i`ve used.

When i heard what it did in my rig, i had to have it
smile.png

nixon_fiend

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 31, 2005
Leeds UK, ,
Have you learnt NOTHING from the hifi pioneers of our age??

BATTERY POWER is the way forward...

Ack Dack,

Final Labs,

Altmann,

Duevel !

Or if getting thru 300 ever readys a month bothers your eco-wife...

Do it the GREEN Way !

experiment-lemon.gif

and here's a lemon powering a mk.i Ipod prototype ....

lemon2.jpg

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had tried, Chord Clearway.did nowt

QED Quonduit similar

Musicworks mega block at £300 very good

Tacima 6 way as good as the MW at a fraction of the cost.

Ther are lots of folk on here using them and saying similar.

U

Umberto

Im using an Isotek Nova. Don't know if it changes the sound as i've never had it out of the system :dunno:but i can tell you that the systemsounds bloody good with it.

EDIT: Just tried it without the Nova. YUK. Soundstage collapses and there is a loss of low level detail.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I like Frank's Krystal Kables Titan cables and mains block. Never felt the need to change since I got them a couple years back - which is a LONG time for me to keep a component!

I also use a PS Audio Ultimate Outlet. Marvellous device - blacker blacks, better focus & definition, doesn't seem to sit on dynamics at all.
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

I used to have P300 mains regenerator - but to be honest the UOtakes you a long way toward it for much less. The P300 fan was too noisy, so I sold the dang thing. Very good sound though - I'm thinking of trying the P500 when funds allow.

WestsideJon

Wammer
Wammer
May 26, 2006
The Midlands, ,
AKA
Jonathan
I used to use a Isotek Mini Sub and was quite happy with that, until I bought a Experience Filtration Standard Communicator for £100 (new)off eBay which I intended to use on my TV, DVD and NTL box. However I tried it on my main system and it blew away the mini sub, as it had gave my system a much more powerful, solid and warm sound. The Isotek is cold and clinical in comparison.

So now I'm going to buy an Ulitmate Communicator and sell my mini sub. I'm also intending the sell my Nordost power cords and replace them with Experience Filtration Venture cables.

E

earl of sodbury

Mains conditioning is something of a minefield because each and every household's mains supply is different for a host of reasons (pollution sources upstream, age of wiring, age of substation, distance from substation, in-home pollution sources, etc.); also each and every item of kit varies in its susceptibility to mains-borne interference for a variety of reasons (may have filtering built-in already, robust power-supply, insufficeintly transparent, etc.); each and every item of kit can potentially make its own unique contribution to the mains-borne pollution present - cross-contaminating one another; and electricity supplies even vary according to time of day or even time of year, weather conditions, solar activity etc...!

Then there are the different approaches:

Passive:

pros: shunts or "combs" some mains-borne EMI & RFI to earth and/or through ferrite "filters"

cons: interference may still affect earthed components to an unpredictable extent, and in any case some HF & UHF and most transient events still "get through"; may add some colouration; too much inductance in the design will suppress dynamics; only expensive designs do anything to stop individual hifi components affecting one-another; ferrites may add a "grey" tonality; does nothing to counteract voltage sags

Isolation:

pros: generally a transformer - prevents or "depresses" some HF & UHF crossing to the system and likewise some transient events

cons: needs to be enormous (=heavy & expensive) to keep the reduction in current availability to a minimum otherwise dynamics will be constrained; some pollution gets through; may have its own electromagnetic "signature"; again doesn't stop "cross-pollution" between components; doeslittle to counteract voltage sags

Regeneration:

pros: Recreates a theoretically perfect supply by outputting a "clean" sinewave and fixed voltage

cons: Basically adds another amplifier into the system which adds its own sonic signature to the overall sound, and may evevn add some problems to the system; highly inefficient; only the most highly-specified designs provide enough current to power amplifiers effectively; bloody expensive

Batteries:

pros: Provides a clean, unpolluted power supply at a reasonably fixed voltage

cons: Short life; very expensive; to provide enough current requires aroom-filling installation; inefficient; environmental issues

Surge protection also introduces its own problems, and unless well-implemented can simply provide a false sense of security.

You can of course throw two or more of these approaches simultaneously into a design/system - resultscan be unpredictable - a sum of their pros, a sum of their cons, or anunholy mutant offspring of both...

Amps in particular are most likely to be affected negatively by inefficient applications.

In my own experienc the best results have come from using well-specified passive in-line filters, my favourite being Isol-8's Mainline 2, but for my amp I had to make a very simple, very low-inductance in-line passive.

So, as ever in hifi, do try to demo the alternatives to see what works best with your system - no two situations/systems will be alike, and all of the customary generalisations should be treated with caution.

churz, eofs

stewartwen

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 30, 2006
near Blackpool
AKA
Stewart
I would think carefully before I bought an expensive mains conditioner!

There are a number of questions I asked my self some years ago,

1 What are the benefits?

2 Does this item do the job?

3 Does it allow me to plug ALL of my hi fi into it?

4 Will an isolating tx be better?

5 How much does this cost?

I opted for aseperate mains supply complete with a seperate fuse box!

Dedicated sockets in my listening room, no filters in the line, no capacitors in the mains supply, no inductors either!

I also put pressure on my electricity suppliers to check and rectify a number of faults in the supply chain!

My mains supply is now stable at 239 volts @50 Hz.

But this is a long torturous route to travel, I am pleased with the results.

The cost was about £700, and there was no problem with this job as the company were only too happy to sort it out!

I personally think that mains conditioners are to be used when all other routes have been exhausted.

S

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
stewartwen wrote:

I also put pressure on my electricity suppliers to check and rectify a number of faults in the supply chain!My mains supply is now stable at 239 volts @50 Hz.

But this is a long torturous route to travel, I am pleased with the results.

The cost was about £700, and there was no problem with this job as the company were only too happy to sort it out!
Let me get this right. Your electricity company was notjust able to sort out some issueswith yoursupply, but washappy to sort out some issues with yoursupply.

I've read that five times so far and I can only conclude that I wantsome ofwhatever is in your bathroom cabinet.

M

Mr Coherent

In our larger demo suites,

we have installed 2 seperate mains suppiles, one with a deicated consumer unit,(fully traeted and cryo'd mcb's) 6mm T & E (10mm produces too bloated a bass responce and preceptully 'slugs the sound' IOE).

All the switchess sockets treated and cryo'd.

It works very no quible (easy to do an A/B too!!!)

Yet this will only isolate the hifi form the 'crap' that inside the house.

Will not stop common mode/spikes/hf and dc offset.

Isolation transformers are worth trying, but wacthout for restricted dynamics and head room reduction. Even with 15 kva units.

Depends on how far you wish to go

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
nixon_fiend wrote:

Have you learnt NOTHING from the hifi pioneers of our age??BATTERY POWER is the way forward...

Or if getting thru 300 ever readys a month bothers your eco-wife...
my radio with valves usessix one and a half volt batteries and ups them to 96 volts

see here

[align=center]KRC-A-2[/align]

[align=center]90 Volts Output[/align]

[align=center]1 to 9 milliamps[/align]

[align=center]Sleep mode[/align]

[align=center]Ever ready B126 look alike case[/align]

krca2.2.jpg

A solid state replacement for a 90 volt HT battery. It operates from six AA batteries and comes complete with an EVER READY look alike case. This kit is a must for any wireless collector. The circuit has a current monitor that puts the inverter into “sleep mode†when the radio is switched off. In this mode the current drawn from the AA batteries is less than one micro amp so that the KRC-A-2 can be left in the receiver almost indefinitely. The inverter runs at 2.5 MHz giving interference free reception on the long wave band. The improved efficiency of this inverter means the battery life is now typically 8 hours using standard zinc carbon batteries. Size 2.5 x 1.8 x 3.9 inches.

From http://hometown.aol.co.uk/kitradioco/uk.htm?f=fs

http://www.davewhitter.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pye%20%20radio.htm

bottom of page

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I know its house dependant, but as i mention before, i had tried blocks costing £300+ so at less than £25 you should at least try one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kawuschel