Wam Bam
Wammer Plus
Nov 27, 2012
Brighton
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I recently returned to the UK and needed a smaller set of speakers. A fellow wammer who also lives in Brighton offered me a pair of Marshall Choong standmounts. I'd never heard of them but after seeing they were made in Streatham (I grew up nearby) plus they were sold to me at a fantastic price I picked them up.

Well, they've turned out to be fantastic, almost my favourite speakers I've owned. They are built like a tank, weigh a ton and for their size have a remarkable sound. I wondered if they might be underpowered with my Quad II's but so far so good but I'd like to hear them with something a little more powerful.

They have a remarkably full sound, particularly good with vocals and acoustic but equally can hold their own with electronic and bass heavy music.

The company doesn't appear to be trading anymore and there's very little about them on the internet, the only dealer seems to have been Walrus but they're also long gone.

Anyone else ever owned or heard a pair? I'm fascinated to know what the rest of the range was like or if anyone ever met Mr Marshall or Mr Choong?!

Cheers

The ones I have are the CM-2

Attachments

• IMG_2662.jpeg
    IMG_2662.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2810.jpeg
    IMG_2810.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2812.jpeg
    IMG_2812.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
N W London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The designer was John Choong a master of several disciplines including making XTC counter weights one of which he made specifically for my Hadcock 242 silver arm fitted with a Cartridgeman Musicmaster cartridge fitted with an it's fitted Isolator making a deep cartridge. specifics were calculated with an algorithm to bring the centre of gravity near to the stylus tip it lifted the Hadcock into another league.
I visited Mr Choong's home address in 2013 to pick up the counter weight. He has designed several speakers, I heard a pair of his speakers driven by an exotic Japanese SS pre and power amp I was very impressed.

Turn it up!

Wam Bam
Wammer Plus
Nov 27, 2012
Brighton
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They are indeed. Makes room positioning much easier as I don’t have as much space now.

MVJ

A Rob Burrow MND charity supporter.
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
Guiseley, Leeds,
AKA
Steve,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The designer was John Choong a master of several disciplines including making XTC counter weights one of which he made specifically for my Hadcock 242 silver arm fitted with a Cartridgeman Musicmaster cartridge fitted with an it's fitted Isolator making a deep cartridge. specifics were calculated with an algorithm to bring the centre of gravity near to the stylus tip it lifted the Hadcock into another league.
I visited Mr Choong's home address in 2013 to pick up the counter weight. He has designed several speakers, I heard a pair of his speakers driven by an exotic Japanese SS pre and power amp I was very impressed.
Great post John very informative 👍 Have one of these😁
65D5652F-C8DB-429E-8C1F-E355E48B780D.jpeg

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There have over the years been some fantastic designs from small companies .. the problem today is producing a speaker that will sell in sufficient numbers to produce a profit for the maker. In the 70s and to a certain degree the 80s there were lots of fantastic speakers for relitively small change and they used to sell in their thousands. Today the audio world has changed and far fewer people place importance on their sound systems.

Sad state of events but unless the public become real lovers of music again and value its reproduction (rather than listening on some cheap blue tooth speaker) then I am sorry to say the introduction of sustainable production of a small loudspeaker at a reasonable price point is down to those manufacturers with enough worldwide coverage to allow the economies of scale to keep the cost down whilst maintaining a decent profit.

• Sad
Reactions: Jezzer and MVJ

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
nice to know they were made in Streatham . i used to live on streatham hill !! not far from tannoy and of course impulse were made not far away in dulwich too
used to see adverts for these speakers but not so much now . i remember walrus selling them

Turn it up!

Wam Bam
Wammer Plus
Nov 27, 2012
Brighton
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks John (can't seem to add your quote) that's great info. It's very hard to find out much about either of them. I am a fan of cottage industry hifi, my own set up includes a set of John Howes Quad rebuilds and a Music First pre, both of whom I would call small independent hifi builders.

Do we know if either Marshall or Choong are still around?

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
N W London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks John (can't seem to add your quote) that's great info. It's very hard to find out much about either of them. I am a fan of cottage industry hifi, my own set up includes a set of John Howes Quad rebuilds and a Music First pre, both of whom I would call small independent hifi builders.

Do we know if either Marshall or Choong are still around?
I have looked at fleabay XTC counterweights are still available I would think John Chong who in 2013was quite young is still about, He also did work for NAD. As to Phil Marshall I do not know. Further to Turn it up questioning the power of his Quad 2 the rare Japanese amp was more than 100 WPC, can not remember what it was could have been mono blocks. I use a 100 WPC with my OTA Quad 57's keep power down but the current availability helps.

Reactions: Turn it up!

Turn it up!

Wam Bam
Wammer Plus
Nov 27, 2012
Brighton
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is a website but don't know if it's still relevant:
marshallchoong.co.uk
Thanks, I did see that but its inactive now, looks like they wound the business down a few years ago.

Any other Marshall choong owners out there?!

Turn it up!

Wam Bam
Wammer Plus
Nov 27, 2012
Brighton
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have looked at fleabay XTC counterweights are still available I would think John Chong who in 2013was quite young is still about, He also did work for NAD. As to Phil Marshall I do not know. Further to Turn it up questioning the power of his Quad 2 the rare Japanese amp was more than 100 WPC, can not remember what it was could have been mono blocks. I use a 100 WPC with my OTA Quad 57's keep power down but the current availability helps.
Don't really know anything about XTC as I don't own a turntable but I'll look them up out of interest. I had this idea John Choong was a much older guy.