Mesh WiFi and streamers - likely to be problems?

damian.duffy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 26, 2007
Belfast, , United Ki
AKA
guess...
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all

I'm thinking of getting (cheapish) mesh routers to try to improve my wi-fi signal round the house. I'm not tech illiterate but not smart either

I have a innuos Zen mini in my attic room (currently connected using a powerline adapter) and a squeezebox downstairs feeding off the mini's library.
I'm wondering if when going to a mesh network there might be an issue with IP addresses/networks etc, especially between the server and any phone being used to control it?

I don't have to spend a fortune so looking at Tenda Nova Mw12 or TP Link Deco m5. Using Virgin media hub 4 (but thinking of changing from Virgin if that's relevant)

Thanks in advance for any advice (as long as the advice isn't to spend £500 getting some super duper system)

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is your motivation to improve the WiFi for other (non-audio) uses, or because you have a problem with your audio networking? If you aren't experiencing problems with the powerline kit, why change it? I've yet to experience any detectable differences in SQ

Mesh can work, with some provisos. The fundamental problem with it, to me, is that if you put in a mesh device to "boost" a poor signal (2 or 3 bars say), the boosted signal may then look great (full 5 bars) on your phone, but in reality the data is still being carried over that poor (2-3 bars) WiFi link, which will reduce the actual data rate that you can see. So for the best performance, the mesh devices need to be placed at points where there is good signal strength...i.e., in exactly the places where they aren't needed.

WiFi was conceived and developed as an access technology - something that you would use at the edge of a network - and Mesh tries to turn it into a backbone technology, and make it "plug and play". Unfortunately, getting the most out of it can take time and effort, not to mention a bit of expertise. You may be lucky, you may not.

IMHO there is no good substitute for using a wired (Ethernet) backbone network (even better, a fibre network!) and attaching WiFi access points to it in the places where you need WiFi.

Man in a van

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2012
Staffordshire
AKA
Ronnie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You don't say which model squeezebox you have but some users have experienced difficulties.
A quich search [ slimdevices forum mesh wifi ] will show some of these. Perhaps a little homework will help (forewarned is forearmed)

ronnie

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all

I'm thinking of getting (cheapish) mesh routers to try to improve my wi-fi signal round the house. I'm not tech illiterate but not smart either

I have a innuos Zen mini in my attic room (currently connected using a powerline adapter) and a squeezebox downstairs feeding off the mini's library.
I'm wondering if when going to a mesh network there might be an issue with IP addresses/networks etc, especially between the server and any phone being used to control it?

I don't have to spend a fortune so looking at Tenda Nova Mw12 or TP Link Deco m5. Using Virgin media hub 4 (but thinking of changing from Virgin if that's relevant)

Thanks in advance for any advice (as long as the advice isn't to spend £500 getting some super duper system)

I have the Tenda Nova MW3 and experienced drop-outs sending DSD128.
Worse than that, 2 of the 4 boxes produced an unbearable very high-pitch screeching noise at around 16kHz (my wife wasn't bothered but me and the boys couldn't stand it) so it's now stored, waiting to be eBayed at some point.

I have recently acquired a TP-Link AC2600 Wi-Fi Extender and it is perfect for the job. I connect it to a switch and that to the streamer and also to the network bridge.

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/threads/tp-link-wi-fi-extender-between-router-switch.112459/

Last edited:
Reactions: TheFlash

llatpoh

Wammer
Wammer
May 27, 2022
The Free State Of Texas, USA
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Properly deployed home wireless mesh systems work very well. Good ones, that is, I've had very good experrience with an older Netgear router/satellite combination, the key is to put the satellite as far away as possible from the router while keeping the "Backhaul Status" "Good" in green. This backhaul is a dedicated 5gHz connection only used for data transfer between router and satellite, meaning the clients are not going to be fighting or taking bandwidth away from this channel. I have my roon core connected to the router and I'm able to stream hires audio to my HQPlayer, stream TV content and keep my work laptop over VPN connected, along with several other devices with zero issues, and that is across from the first to the third level of my townhome.

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
Lincolnshire Coast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you feel you have to change from your current arrangement, a wired network is a complete non starter and you're prepared to move from Virgin, then BT Complete WiFi is very good. Strightforward to set up, but BT will visit and set up/optimise it for you, if desired.

damian.duffy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 26, 2007
Belfast, , United Ki
AKA
guess...
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the replies!
My intention is just to have better wi-fi, so while the powerline adapter works for the Zen, I would like wireless devices to work well too, without dropping signals.
BT home wi-fi might be an option - I can see if Virgin will give me a reduction and if they don't then maybe move to BT!
Thanks for experience of the tenda devices. One review here is worth many more random online ones!
I take the point about backhaul too. And I suppose I should plan for wi-fi 6 too.

Haha - and hope that the streamers keep working

nak

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2011
Mansfield-ish
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have you tried speaking to Virgin about your WiFi signal? We had problems and now have 2 mesh pods and our problems have gone.
I'm sure the first one was free and the 2nd costs £5 per month.

Worth asking them first.
Screenshot_20221015-215437.png

damian.duffy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 26, 2007
Belfast, , United Ki
AKA
guess...
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have you tried speaking to Virgin about your WiFi signal? We had problems and now have 2 mesh pods and our problems have gone.
I'm sure the first one was free and the 2nd costs £5 per month.

Worth asking them first.
Screenshot_20221015-215437.png
Haha - I hadn't thought of that! Thanks a million

Reactions: nak

gz00

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 26, 2009
Cumberland, UK
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use TP-link Deco P9 which is a 3 unit system utilising powerline and wi-fi. Principally bought to improve wi-fi but works very well streaming and with roon rock server. The advantage of this type of mesh system is that it works no matter who your broadband provider is.

Chumpchops

From the safest places come the bravest words.
Wammer
Oct 3, 2014
Bristol
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anyone going the mesh route for better wi fi coverage, should also turn off the wifi broadcasting on their existing router. This prevents your device’s grabbing the old wi fi rather than the new mesh SSID., and minmises any potential resulting conflicts from not having all wi fi devices on same network.

Chumpchops

From the safest places come the bravest words.
Wammer
Oct 3, 2014
Bristol
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve switched off here (my own router, I NEVER use isp supplied kit) , one daughter’s phone was flipping between that and 11n and she was shouting at me. Anything for a quiet life ;)
Yup. 3 girls and wi fi conflicts are not conducive to domestic harmony.

but I’m still glad I blocked FB on the router for many years!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles