Metabolism - The thinking is changing

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here is an interesting article about the latest thinking on Metabolism: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/oct/30/burn-baby-burn-the-new-science-of-metabolism

"It appears that between the ages of 20 and 60 our metabolism stays almost completely stable, even during major hormonal shifts such as pregnancy and menopause. Based on the new data, a woman of 50 will burn calories just as effectively as a woman of 20.

Instead, there are just two major life shifts in our metabolism, with the first occurring between one and 15 months old. The Science study showed that infants burn energy at such a rate to support their development that their metabolism at one year old is more than 50% higher than an adult’s. The second transition takes place at about the age of 60, when our metabolism begins to drop again, continuing to do so until we die..... 

So what does this mean? Much of the ageing process, and the commonly observed middle-aged weight gain, is not because of declining metabolism but genetics, hormone changes and lifestyle factors such as stress, sleep, smoking and, perhaps most crucially, diet. Pontzer argues that if the calories we burn stay largely the same throughout life, then the real source of obesity has to be the amount we’re eating, and particularly the heavy consumption of highly processed foods.....

Some scientists believe that this is because the body is programmed to keep its average daily energy expenditure within a defined range. While there are day-to-day fluctuations, the body still burns the same number of calories overall, but it adjusts how they are used, depending on our lifestyle.....

In the industrialised world, burning more energy than you eat would be great, but in the wild, that’s a bad strategy. The reason we’re gaining weight is not only because there’s more food available than we have evolved to expect, but because they’re modern, industrialised foods, designed to be overeaten. So you’ve got this perfect storm for making people obese."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bokke and greybeard

lamboy

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 14, 2011
Personally I have found that fasting for long periods (48 hours once a week and 18 to 22 hours on other days) has resulted in really good fat loss. The extra energy I have (sometimes too much to sleep) must mean my metabolism is increasing as I effectively eat my own fat stores.

I.F. pulled me back from pre-diabetes to normal blood sugar.

*do not take my advice, listen to your own medical professional and your own body, but I encourage people to investigate fasting. 

Reactions: Bokke and Tarzan

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tk care mate. I dont believe anything functions properly without fuel in the tank....especially the mind.

lamboy

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 14, 2011
The tank is full, judging by my 38" waist (was 42") :) We store fat in the tank for eating when we have no food, that is exactly how we evolved. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online