Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
At the risk of taking a "piss shower" from some of our esteemed members here...i just want to ask this.................actually, let me first say that some respected geezers here have suggested an MF X10 v3 as an improvement to my system,.....so i ask for other opinions on it. So far i cant make up my mind if it is making any difference, though that could be because im using my Chord silver siren along with the Nordost blue heaven. I suppose when i disconnect it , and listen "sans x10" i should be able to comment further.............................IHB waiting for the golden showers to arrive............:fluch:

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Take a look at this thread by Earl - I found it very useful
wink.png

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum7/401.html

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
icehockeyboy wrote:

At the risk of taking a "piss shower" from some of our esteemed members here...i just want to ask this.................actually, let me first say that some respected geezers here have suggested an MF X10 v3 as an improvement to my system,.....so i ask for other opinions on it. So far i cant make up my mind if it is making any difference, though that could be because im using my Chord silver siren along with the Nordost blue heaven. I suppose when i disconnect it , and listen "sans x10" i should be able to comment further.............................IHB waiting for the golden showers to arrive............:fluch:
What do you expect to see improved ? and whats wrong with it as it is ?

also will you use X10 with original power supply or the upgraded one as there is a big differance

also if trying this can you get hold of cables like the rest in your system as using alsorts of different cables will addto the confusion and make the job of working out whats done what very hard
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
I bought an X10v3 from a very nice chap, and in my system at the time, it really benefited from the PSU

And when you start thinking how much the two of em cost, I am not convinced of the value compared to money spent elsewhere

Having said that, it is a nice bit of kit

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Its very hard to keep up with everything
biggrin.png
must say the X10 buffer better than the DAC and the X10 was the only item that seemed to gain much from the upgraded power supply

A

Alex A

If you connect the loop out of the X-10D into a second input on your preamp, you can very easily do A-B switching between the two during playback. Whilst not necessarily the best way to rate it, it will show up all the obvious differences.

I had one for a short time, but it didn't seem to improve things at all once I got the DAC. I think it's value is best realised in mid priced systems. But I can't comment on it's performance with the external PSU.

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Davewhityetagain wrote:

icehockeyboy wrote:
What do you expect to see improved ? and whats wrong with it as it is ?

also will you use X10 with original power supply or the upgraded one as there is a big differance

also if trying this can you get hold of cables like the rest in your system as using alsorts of different cables will addto the confusion and make the job of working out whats done what very hard
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif
dave, theres nowt wrong with it, just trying to squeeze a bit more from it thats all,dunno what until i hear it! As far as the cheaper ic is concerned, it looks like ill have to buy another blue heaven before i can fully give an opinion, in the meantime, i can hear what ppeps mean about the soundstage.....took the x10 v3 out and the system just seemed..well...............smaller.........cant think of any other way to put it, and i dont mean smaller in wattage either.

Ps, how much do the improved psu's cost?

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hmm, that makes a larger outlay that starts to veer towards amp swop land, ill put the psu thing on the back burner for now, cos otherwise ill be thinking that i could have bought an amp instead,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:Not Sure:

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Papa, id have loved it, especially as you mentioned curry ! the otherproblem is that when er indoors is away, i have kids to sort out, ( not that i dont even when she is here!!!)

So far the only real difference im noticing is a much bigger soundstage, which is no bad thing i guess.........wonder if it will improve with 2 identical nordosts....?

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
icehockeyboy wrote:

Papa, id have loved it, especially as you mentioned curry ! the otherproblem is that when er indoors is away, i have kids to sort out, ( not that i dont even when she is here!!!)So far the only real difference im noticing is a much bigger soundstage, which is no bad thing i guess.........wonder if it will improve with 2 identical nordosts....?
Who knows fella, but then don't get me started on those cables.

Glens of Antrim

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Norn Iron, , United
Ice,

The valve buffer is a good piece of kit in it's own right. As well as adding a small taste of tube magic to the mix, it has the ability of making the texture & tonality of instruments clearer.My only caveat is that you only get 70% of its potential without the X-PSU in place. Nevertheless a X-10 would be a step forward & not sideways imho.

GofA

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You know what Gobind has been saying about adding a power amp, and bi amping, well that has got me thinking..what, if any improvements (over and above the x10v3) would that bring to the game?

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
Ice....from one Craig to another....why not just go to the dealer and listen to it, and decide for yourself?

I'm not one to talk about buy first - listen later, but aside from buying both and then selling the one you don't want, your history of short term upgrades would suggest that your ears alone should be the judge.

Find a dealer who's got an X10v3 left and a suitable power amp, and go and listen

Or splash the cash, buy both and take some time at home to decide which one floats yer boat

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Craig, i actually am listening to the X10v3 at this moment, findings reported above somewhere,it was just that Gobind set me thinking, saying about how much outlay that is with another decent ic needed (ok, id need one anyway if i bi amped) and that adding a power amp would offer a "better bang for yer buck"

Re going to a dealer and listening, if you know of one that still has the aforementiod kit,( obviously not the x10) let me know, and ill go.
biggrin.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles