Mission 770 Speakers in Rosewood.....

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
They still sound ok if they're in good fettle. Watch out for the rubber bass driver surround going brittle and the cabinet splitting at the seams. Components also tend to come loose from the crossovers but a hit glue gun fixes that.

Personally, having experienced all versions of these in recent years, this isnt the best one, but it is the most iconic. Unless this one is cosmetically perfect and no deterioration as above then it would seem a reasonable buy. If they have any faults I would suggest they're a liitle over priced. Could be that they're starting to attract a nostalgia or rarity premium now I guess. 5 years ago I paid 70gbp for a decent pair with some light cosmetic marking. Sounded OK but one of the cabs split along top right edge within about 6 months and the other one followed a couple of months later. I guess the glue dries out. Fairly easy repair for someone with a bit of skill, tools and time.

sent from a different Galaxy

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I owned a pair as my main speakers for a couple of years in the early 1980's with an LP12 and Naim 42/110. Nice speakers, have fond memories of them. A bit warm and cuddly, but a nice sound. The bass drivers failed on mine and I had to get a new pair, 89dB is a bit rich, I would say a couple of dB less. The input terminals are on the bottom of the speakers, so it's difficult to use with certain stands.

Work their best a little way away from walls.

A nice 50w amp and they will make a nice system.

themadlatvian

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 28, 2008
Huddersfield
AKA
John
The best mission speaker IMHO.
I'm a bit biased because of the special place the original 770 has in my memories of the late 70s, but I still have a lovely pair of them in black and they still regularly delight me and surprise me. They look rather cool also, in a macho-retro sort of way. Agree with Bob about the stands - I had oak ones made for mine that could accommodate the awkward terminals on the bottom of the cabs.

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've got a feeling I've had dealings with this seller. All good from memory, so if anyone fancies them.........

Personally, I'd go for the Freedom model though.

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In fact why not double up on the mid-bass drivers and go for the Argonaut.
The simple answer is that 1) I'm not speaker shopping. :D And 2) That's not what's listed in the link. I do completely agree though Nick, having had them all in the past. :^

- - - Updated - - -

Nice, I like Missions, had a few pairs in the past.
I'd wager these would blitz your room mate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles