Mood / System

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The other day I offered advice on free tweaks to your system based on mood . Note to one self, follow your own advice . Thursday had been a very bad day . Lots of S hitting the fan at work and trying for most most of the week to exchange contracts on my flat now thankfully done . Last night no matter what I played I could not settle . Restless and anxious . In years gone by I would blame the system and ask for advice and then google alternatives but it was me . Tonight of course there is the TGIF and no work tomorrow or for that matter the rest of the weekend . It is this that elevates enjoying my system more than ever tonight . :unsure: Your mood is everything . Trust me .

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very sage advice indeed. If you've had a bad day, let the music soothe you and don't get hung up on the details (or lack thereof).

Reactions: Tony_J and Cambs12

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The other day I offered advice on free tweaks to your system based on mood . Note to one self, follow your own advice . Thursday had been a very bad day . Lots of S hitting the fan at work and trying for most most of the week to exchange contracts on my flat now thankfully done . Last night no matter what I played I could not settle . Restless and anxious . In years gone by I would blame the system and ask for advice and then google alternatives but it was me . Tonight of course there is the TGIF and no work tomorrow or for that matter the rest of the weekend . It is this that elevates enjoying my system more than ever tonight . :unsure: Your mood is everything . Trust me .
Well done on the contract exchange Danny!

Spot on. Same music, same system, same ears... but different mood? Completely different experience. Note to self.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've noted similar before. My system always sounds better at night. It would be easy to put this down to increased mains interference during the day and all sorts of other 'explanations'. Nevertheless, it seems far more likely that I'm relaxed at night and not thinking about emails, work and all the things I ought to be doing.

Psychological factors influence hearing massively.

Von Krolock

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The incessant pressure of work - running to stand still.
Don't let anxiety bugger you up - time is a healer.

Last edited:
Reactions: maddog_007

Tony T

Tony T
Wammer
Jul 14, 2020
London
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I noticed this a long time ago tbh, I always found my system had a thinner presentation when I was in a bad mood. It’s not a subtle effect either.

Reactions: rabski

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is precisely why I don’t bother with the infinite unprovable improvements such as cables, equipment supports, 100 box dacs etc.

The single biggest changing factor is the human brain.
Ah, but then the hifi obsessive human brain may be fooling you into thinking that the reason the system doesn't sound better is that you haven't spent more money on cables, supports, etc.

The first rule of psychological influences is that you're f****d no matter what :ROFLMAO:

Three sheds

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 30, 2019
Cardiff
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I get great pleasure from being able to relax and listen to music late at night, but if I am over tired and not in the mood, it's as if I am forcing the issue, so the hifi stays off on those nights.

ziggy

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2017
Cardiff
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I recommend being happier with a little less and retire mid 50s. Chills you out.
Could not agree more, from someone who retired in his late 50s. Can play music any day and at any time. It is usually in the day, often through headphones out the garden in the warmer months. If my other half is out I can crank it up as we have a detached house.

peter the butcher

Peter The Butcher
Wammer
Aug 19, 2020
Sleaford
AKA
Peter Allison
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The strain and worry about work or something like, can have a huge influence on your mood, and the ability to allow something to soothe away the daily worries, Music in this case. Yes, retirement is OK, but only if your health is, (mine is not sadly)

Nativebon

MUZIC FIRST
Wammer Plus
Aug 9, 2018
London UK
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've come to the conclusion that a decent sounding hifi is good enough for me. Dynamics, tone and separation. Badly put together expensive hifi will never put you in a good mood.
I know what I'm missing from a well put together expensive hifi system and those differences don't really bother me, but if given for free?... Sure I'll take it. My system is not purest so I enjoy everything I play through it and mostly always in a good mood after a listening section.
My system should put me in good mood not waiting on a good mood before listening...
Hey but that's me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.