• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Multiple recordings

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
Here we go:

Schubert - Death & the Maiden - 3 (was 4 but I gave a not very good one to my brother-in-law);

VW - Tallis - 3 (but I have on of these on both vinyl & polycarbonate, so does that make it 4?);

VW - in fact I seem to have at least 2 of pretty much everything by VW, even sodding Greensleeves:(;

Mozart - Requiem - 3;

JS Bach - Orchestral Suites - 3;

Debussy - Violin & Cello Sonatas - 2;

Ravel - String Quartet - 2, Gaspard de la Nuit - 2, Piano concerto - 2;

Walton - Sinfonia Concertante - 2 (but they are different editions);

Faure - 2 of most of the chamber music;

In fact I'll stop there, `cos all the others (more Faure, loads of Frank Bridge, some Finzi, Butterworth, Walter Leigh etc) are all doubled up.

So, I'm sure I'm safe from the prize:D.

Boxer

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here are my sins
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

Brahms Symphony No 4 (18): Toscanini, Kleiber, Sanderling, Wand, JochumBPO, JochumLPO, GiuliniPhilh, KarajanPhilh, KarajanBPO, BernsteinVPO, SoltiCSO, BarenboimCSO, Ashkenazy, Mackerras, HaitinkBos, HaitinkConcg, Loughran, BarbirolliVPO,

Tristans und Isoldes (10): Kleiber, Karajan72, Karajan52, Furtwangler, Bernstein, Beecham/Reiner, Bohm, Pappano, Solti, Barenboim

Otellos (8): Toscanini, Serafin, Karajan60, Karajan73, Solti77, Maazel, Levine, Chung

Salomes (8): Sinopoli, Karajan, Solti, Leinsdorf, Dohnanyi, Bohm(Hamburg), Ozawa, Mehta

Swan Lakes (7) Dutoit, Previn, Lanchbery, Sawallisch, Bonynge, Ozawa, Yablonsky

Ein Heldenlebens (22): Strauss, Krauss, Toscanini, Blomstedt, Kempe, Karajan60, Karajan72, Karajan86, Sawallisch, Ormandy, Haitink, Jarvi, Thielemann, Pesek, BlomstedtSFSO, Sinopoli, Ashkenazy, Ozawa, SoltiVPO, Reiner, Barenboim, Barbirolli

Zarathustras (15): Krauss, Blomstedt, Kempe, KarajanVPO, Karajan73, Karajan84, Sawallisch, Haitink, PrevinVPO, Reiner54, Reiner62, Jarvi, Tennstedt, Solti, Ormandy

Still, I don't think I will get the Wig. I suspect either Griffo or MB has a greater obsession with a Bruckner or a Mahler.:lmao:

SS

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No SSM - I think your Brahms 4 obsession (entirely understandable and worthy IMO) might top the lot. I have only 8 Brahms 4 but have given up trying to find any better than Kleiber/VPO - though Guilini/Chicago comes close.

But its true my highest concentration is in Mahler and Bruckner

Mahler 9th - 13

Das Lied von der Erde - 11

Mahler 3rd - 9

Mahler 5th - 7

Mahler 6th - 7

Bruckner 5th - 9

Rite of Spring - 6

Brahms Piano Cto 1 - 6

After that there's lots of 3s and 4s of lots of things

I am trying to think what is the wierdest thing I have more than 1 recording of - I've got 2 of Peter Maxwell Davies 1st symphony, 2 of James MacMillan's Confession of Isobel Gowdie, 2 of Peteris Vasks Cello Concerto, 2 of Frank Martin's Mass for Double Choir, bound to be some others.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think SSM's Brahms 4 obsession wins hands down, but do you need THAT many versions of Zarathustra
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
, surely one is enough.

Ok I have 9 recordings of Bruckner's 9th which is my main obsession which pales against someones Brahm's 4th obsession. I have every Bruckner on both cd and vinyl with the vinyl count outnumbering the cd one now.

Beethoven's 9th - 6 recordings

Shostakovich 10th - 6 recordings

I have every Mahler symphony at least 3 times including Das Lied Von Der Erde, so about 40 recordings in all - off the the top of my head.

epca

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2006
Barking
AKA
Ed
Erm, guys, I'll have to put this off until earlyMarch when I get back home to count; not sure I could do this off the top of my head accurately.

I am heartened to know though that we all seem to share a similar level of obsessiveness...

Ed

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ooer, I did not expect to be the front-runner at this stage... Ed, hurry up home and do your stocktake. You are my only hope.
tongue.png

Oh Ja, there is always the lurking StillTones (hi handsome
quad.gif
). He may have every available recording of his favourite Bach cantata in his collection.
rofl.gif.57a0859802223cfb25763a5f876a4be6.gif

[line]

I haven't added to my Brahms 4 collectibles for a few years. But now that the flame is rekindled, the following are likely to join my mantle before the year is out:

Klemperer - PhilhO... shameful of me to omit this great Brahmsian!

Furtwangler - BPO... dunno if Furt can outdo Kleiber but his needs to be added, if only for the snob appeal.
biggrin.png

and:

Kempe - MunichPO

Szell - ClevelandO

Dohnanyi - ClevelandO

Abbado - BPO

Giulini - CSO

Muti - Philadelphia

Oh, a presidential recount reveals I got 20, not 18. Walter/ColumbSO(flawed) and Rahbari/BrusselsPO on Nasty Naxos...
tongue.png

btw, I don't think my Brahms 4 obsession is excessive if you factor in the greater length of a Mahler or Bruckner symphony. In that respect, Griffo and MB are the more masochistic ones.
wink.png

SS

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
musicbox wrote:

True. 13 Mahler 9ths = approx 26 Brahms 4th.
Gentilemen (and Rabski:roll:), we have a winner!
applause.gif
applause.gif
applause.gif
applause.gif

vivaldi-01.jpg
:green:

Why would anyone need a second copy of Mahler 9 when there is the Barbirolli, boggles the mind.
glum.gif.19305e5ca189352e84c85f8ec971e437.gif

SS

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
Glens of Antrim wrote:

OMG I'm feeling really inferior
cry_smile.gif.e6f167d6925baafe229b8957ba771316.gif
There's only a couple of pieces I have two versions of. Haven't been into classical for long enough/or maybe I'm not obsessive
tongue.png
No, Glens, this means you and I are sensible and certain other people are heading off into obsessional land, all in my professional opinion, you understand ...

How many versions of Zarathustra???????????????? Is this evidence of some secret 2001 obsession (now there is a seriously over-rated movie!).

It would be redundant of me nowto confess to another version of Tallis & another version of Death & the Maiden, so I won't!

Boxer

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
SSM wrote:

Why would anyone need a second copy of Mahler 9 when there is the Barbirolli, boggles the mind.
Why ?

1st, you need the Karajan recording which is simply one the best the bloke did in his later years.

2nd, you need the Walter/Vienna one from the the 30's. Reissued on dutton years ago this was, Ithink, the first actual recording of the symphony and has an intensity which is simply mind-boggling, which compensates for the fairly poor sound, which does get listenable as you get on.

3rd, Claus Tennstadt. One of the finest, and most underated Mahlerians with a lovely version.

So you need at LEAST 4, and Barbirolli's 5th is actually better than his 9th
wink.png

I do think I have about 46 Mahler recording all-in. Scarey how many hours is there.

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
46...?
sos.gif.b46fa5e4a1b4ea9bb8774a15a6092288.gif

Uh'm not sure if I want to permutate Mahler's 9 myself. Still convinced the 6th is the better work.
tongue.png

btw You and MB ought to hold a Mahler-only bakeoff. Given the expected turnout, you two will be sharing 46 chicken wings between yourselves.:raoflmfao:

"Let's play these five versions of the Adagio in complete succession, and you guys tell us which one is the best!"

KK: (
sleep_1.gif.141171e622ad3ffb8aa5d2f229bd921a.gif
) Anthony: (
suicide1.gif
)

[line]

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
SSM wrote:

46...?
sos.gif.b46fa5e4a1b4ea9bb8774a15a6092288.gif
Uh'm not sure if I want to permutate Mahler's 9 myself. Still convinced the 6th is the better work.
tongue.png

btw You and MB ought to hold a Mahler-only bakeoff. Given the expected turnout, you two will be sharing 46 chicken wings between yourselves.:raoflmfao:

"Let's play these five versions of the Adagio in complete succession, and you guys tell us which one is the best!"

KK: (
sleep_1.gif.141171e622ad3ffb8aa5d2f229bd921a.gif
) Anthony: (
suicide1.gif
)

[line]
If you get the right version of the 9th it is more intense, the 6th has more of an emotional impact. Don't forget the 5th and 7th either as they are also immense. The 8th is a bit overblown though.

I even managed to convince Ray (emma Royd) to play his Mahler set he has on vinyl
biggrin.png

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
boxer wrote:

Glens of Antrim wrote:
OMG I'm feeling really inferior
There's only a couple of pieces I have two versions of. Haven't been into classical for long enough/or maybe I'm not obsessive
tongue.png
No, Glens, this means you and I are sensible and certain other people are heading off into obsessional land, all in my professional opinion, you understand ...

How many versions of Zarathustra???????????????? Is this evidence of some secret 2001 obsession (now there is a seriously over-rated movie!).

It would be redundant of me nowto confess to another version of Tallis & another version of Death & the Maiden, so I won't!
Well, it could viewed as obsession:roll:. Or, from our side of the fence, our Multiplicity Complex could be an indication of a fine, discerning intellect that refuses to bow to the dictates of prevailing social norms.

How many of the people who own only one copy of a particular work have bought it simply because the published reviews have deemed it the "best"?

The answer is 99%. For these people, buying single-recordings is a mere exercise in a frantic attempt to collect token specimens of the entire classical repertoire before time (and life) runs out on them. They are happy to buy that 5-star top choice as dictated by Penguin:roll: or Good CD Guide:roll:, without questioning if the performance is perhaps lacking in areas that could be filled by an alternative recording. Often the "top choice" has beautiful sound and, artistically, doesn't push the conservative envelope. (woe Gould!
) Thus it satisfies the perfunctory needs of the single-copy buyer.

So the single-copy owner is tragically content to restrict his view of a composition to just one "sanctioned"/"proper" interpretation of it. Why doesn't he care to invest in an alternative 2nd or 3rd recording?

Could it be... that he is not really in love with the work at all?
:nup:
He is afraid to be exposed to the warts and to the work's darker side - which could be highlighted in a grittier, less celebrated recording?

Hear ye!
redcard.gif.e4bb2bc3520876c1792f9a324afcd589.gif
A truly great composition is inexhaustible in its content and demands the luxury of several top-notch recordings.

SS

ps: I have six 1812 Overtures.
tongue.png

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Re Mahler 6th vs 9th.... the 6th is a fairly straightforward adventure story with a tragic ending. Absolutely terrific gripping stuff. Whereas the 9th is a great metaphysical transcendant journey.

Something like Rider Haggard/Conan Doyle/RL Stevenson vs Joseph Conrad/Henry James/Dostoevsky/Joyce kind of thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kinchitshaw