Music Angel XD500Mk3 valve amp - any good?

trident

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2006
Manchester
AKA
Stephen Steele
Hi,

My heading says it all really. I've just looked on eBay and seen this valve amp. I'm looking to get my first valve amp,so I don't want to spend to much money. The seller is saying that its UK stock, so it should be modded for UK voltage. The cynic in me is saying its too good to be true. I don't want to get it, then find I can't find anyone to maintain it,so any opinions would be much appreciated. Heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Music-Angel-XD500Mk3-Valve-Int-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ160117383584QQihZ006QQcategoryZ3280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Best wishes

Stephen

trident

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2006
Manchester
AKA
Stephen Steele
Hi,

Thanks for that thread. It does look as if its too good to be true, and probably not worth taking a chance on. However, I would say that just because its Chinese does not necessarily mean that its crap. Chinese build quality has improved over the last couple of years, and the high rate of Sterling does mean that there are bargains to be had.

Best wishes

Stephen

mrwippy

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 6, 2006
Plymouth, UK
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
trident wrote:

Hi,Thanks for that thread. It does look as if its too good to be true, and probably not worth taking a chance on. However, I would say that just because its Chinese does not necessarily mean that its crap. Chinese build quality has improved over the last couple of years, and the high rate of Sterling does mean that there are bargains to be had.

Best wishes

Stephen
I have no issue with certain Chinese manufactured stuff - indeed the likes of Melody, Eastern Electric (MiniMax), Icon Audio, Pure Sound, Consonance, Dared (dare I add in AVC?)and quite a few others all originate from the PRC. But these are a entirely different from many of the amps being offered on eBay which have the limited quality control and dubious design parameters. New Music Angel amps could be fine and if you decide to go for one, let us know how you get on, but don't forget to ask before you buy, who do you send it to in case of awarranty claim.

hereis another UK oneon eBay, but go to the question section and know that the seller is not particularly clued up about the goods he's selling. Then go to the returns section and see that the "..tubewarantee islimited..", but "..Follow these instructions and tubes will almost last a lifetime"

enjoy_the_music

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2006
Brittany , France
AKA
Farmer Rich
Yep not the best valve amps...
smile.png

trident

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2006
Manchester
AKA
Stephen Steele
mmmm...my heart is saying "yes take a chance"...my head is saying "don't get sucked in you stupid bugger"

Even the cheaper one will be a waste of money if no electrician will even touch it, if and when it breaks down.

Thanks anyway

Stephen

mrwippy

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 6, 2006
Plymouth, UK
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
trident wrote:

mmmm...my heart is saying "yes take a chance"...my head is saying "don't get sucked in you stupid bugger"Even the cheaper one will be a waste of money if no electrician will even touch it, if and when it breaks down.

Thanks anyway

Stephen
If you are in no hurry a 'good' 2nd hand valve amp will turn up! At least this

will be a known quantity, but perhaps, given the company's (owners) repnot the an ideal first time buy either:raoflmfao:if you don't know, do a search here for Affordable Valve.

trident

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2006
Manchester
AKA
Stephen Steele
I've looked into AVC. In fact I was going to buy one several weeks ago, but then I heard about the problems involved in dealing with this company. As for buying a second hand AVC - what the vendors don't tell you, is that Lim won't touch them if there not bought directly from him.

Its a real shame really - he obviously knows a great deal about tube amps, but he's reputation is putting people off.

I'm curious to hear what tubes sound like, being a solid state man all my life, but not to the extent as wanting to spend many hundreds of pounds, so I might look on eBay.

mrwippy

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 6, 2006
Plymouth, UK
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
trident wrote:

I'm curious to hear what tubes sound like, being a solid state man all my life, but not to the extent as wanting to spend many hundreds of pounds, so I might look on eBay.
Trouble is, just like solid state, they can and do sound very different (think Naim, Sugden, Quad for instance). It not only depends on circuit design, but the type/make/year of valves used as well. The Romulus Integrated I have for sale sound nothing like the valve amps I'm using at the moment and neither of them will sound the same as the, say, Icon Audio 40i amp.

trident

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2006
Manchester
AKA
Stephen Steele
Yes I understand that, its why I find valves so fascinating - I understand that even different brands of valves can make an amp sound different.

Thanks for the Lim thread, nobody has ever said that his amps are bad, so I might yet reconsider him.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Trident

A friend of mine had one of these from a UK seller (he get's thru kit faster than I do!!) ...he was most pleased with it. Not sure if its the same seller.

I saw it, and externally it is a solid
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif
:^
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif
- an impressive piece of kit, in fact. Beautifully made, slow start-up electronics. Looks a treat. I heard it briefly in his system - sounded fine.

I'd say "go for it".

Sure there are better valve amps out there - but they cost waaay more.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Save up a few more pennies and look into something secondhand like:

Icon Stereo 40

Prima Luna Prologue One or Two

Sugden A21

It'll be a much better long-term investment, probably more reliable and sound far better to boot.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Alex_A wrote:

Pick the new speakers first
wink.png
Yup, I have to agree.

Your speaker choice might be more limited than you want if you "only" have a low-ish powered valve amp to drive them.

Sort the speakers, then choose the best amp to drive them
smile.png

M

murray johnson

Choosing some more sensitive speakers (90 dB/W or more) will allow you to explore the cheaper but wonderful world of EL84 pushpull amplifiers. Good examples of such are the Leak Stereo 20 or indeed the World Designs KEL84 (available as a kit) Either of these would represent a better investment than the Music Angel.

I rather like the look of these 'Dulci' mono blocks

DULCIEL84.jpg

http://www.bigearsaudio.org.uk/3.html

but at £450 they are a bit more.

mrwippy

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 6, 2006
Plymouth, UK
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
murray johnson wrote:

Choosing some more sensitive speakers (90 dB/W or more) will allow you to explore the cheaper but wonderful world of EL84 pushpull amplifiers. Good examples of such are the Leak Stereo 20 or indeed the World Designs KEL84 (available as a kit) Either of these would represent a better investment than the Music Angel.I rather like the look of these 'Dulci' mono blocks

DULCIEL84.jpg

http://www.bigearsaudio.org.uk/3.html

but at £450 they are a bit more.
They do look rather nice and seem to have been tastefully updated (and have been there for awhile, so a better deal may be available?) I see they also have a CR Developments Romulus, like the one I have for salein the classifieds - but at £1250
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles