Music Snobs

B

batman

Testure wrote:

Not worth getting wound up about, anyway what does he know about music, he just infered that Kraftwerk had run out of ideas by listening to Minimum Maximum!!Chill with a beer and dream of shinny63DP :dude:
do you not agree .... i love kraftwerk but how about something completely new and inventive.. oh yeah what about man machine soundtracks.. or autobahn soundtracks...:)you get the picture

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
stick around, it'll be nice to have a fellow hiphop/hifi fan about the place, even if we did get off on the wrong foot.

I still maintain that Entroducing could be classed as a milestone album though
wink.png

Biscuit wrote:

DJ Riz was the greatest DJ I ever heard, not technically, but the fact that he played so much dope music on the Westwood shows. '94 Westwood was awesome.Currently listening to Stunts, Blunts and Hiphop
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

Fav producers:

Diamond D

Dr Dre

Premier

Pete Rock

Beatnuts

PS you started listening to Westwood quite a few years before me, I was too young for the majority of the Capital FM Dance Shows, started listening in about '91. Should probably bow to your knowledge of hiphop then, after all, its all about learning from your elders
tongue.png
:D
Well Westwood used to broadcast on Kiss and LWR (at the time Kiss was a pirate station), and Mike 'The Boss' Allen was not a DANCE show. For many Allen was the first to try to bringElectro and Hip Hop through to the mainstream, although some people regard him as having 'jumped on the boat', attempting to utilisea music form that was still considered 'underground' and resolutely 'black'. There is also the fact that there were DJ's in the north of the country who had been involved inplaying the music for a long time.
Allen was also helped by his involvement with Morgan Khan, who created the 'StreetSounds Electro' compilations, an absolute msut for anyone with a passing interest in the early evolution of Electro-Funk (you can still find original copies although the prices are rising considerably). Allen was also involved with the 'UK Fresh' event in 1986,which witnessed artists such as Roxanee Shante, Capt Rock, DJ Cheese and Word Of Mouth, Mantronix, Grandmaster Flash coming to the UK, many for the first time.
And Bob James ISwhite, known to most Hip Hop heads through the sampling anduse of his two tracks 'Nautilus' and 'Take Me To The Mardi Gras' (especially by Run DMC on 'Peter Piper').

G

No sorry it is crap, makes no differencewhat it's played on, that modern RnB (not rythym and blues) and country and western, commercial pap the lot of it, sorry, would n't sound good on a good TT never mind a sondek

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
analoguekid wrote:

No sorry it is crap, makes no differencewhat it's played on, that modern RnB (not rythym and blues) and country and western, commercial pap the lot of it, sorry, would n't sound good on a good TT never mind a sondek
biggrin.png
:D:D

your age is showing AK, tuck in in before anyone notices
tongue.png

G

yes biccy, I do listen to break beat, dnB goan trance among otherss just can't get on with hip hop or RnB

analoguekid wrote:

yes biccy, I do listen to break beat, dnB goan trance among otherss just can't get on with hip hop or RnB
It really does depend on what you mean by 'R'n'B' and 'Hip Hop', and as ever, there are important distinctions to be made between the really obvious commercial stuff, and the other material that, forvery many reasons, doesn't attract the attention of the 'mainstream' - which presumably isexactly the forum where you are being exposed to the stuff that you dislike so much.

I have to say that I'm not a great fan of the obvious three minute records with obligatory rapper mumbling away incoherently and unrelatedly to the track, but, as much as I do hate it, I have to accept that it seems to sell, and is popular. What has been interesting is the way that modern 'R'n'B' and Hip Hop (or at least specific forms of it)have slowly entered the mainstream. It is also interesting to see the resurgence in black soul music that is being made, with a strong emphasis on live recording andreal instrumentation - the exact opposite, in fact, of the commercial material that you often hear and which many decry as heraldingthe demise ofblack music.As ever the story is far more complicated, but it is not likely to feature in a discussion within (for example) 'Hi Fi Choice'.

In some respects, my earlier criticisms of the articleregarding 'Endtroducing' reflect this,members of the'mainstream' make judgements which, upon critical and contextual examination, can not be supported.The problem is, without being challenged, such judgements become 'accepted wisdom' - often to the detriment of more deserving and influential artists.

kingsxfan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Wirral
AKA
Phil
I think it would be extremely hard for Kraftwerk to attempt topush theboundaries in a genre they essentially defined,without making a piece that was deliberatelyavant-garde in the extreme. Tour de France Soundtracks was ok, but essentially aluke warm effort IMO.Whilst I love Kraftwerk, Minimum Maximum was over weight with cuts from TDF "soundtracks" for my tastes. After quite a few listens now, they stick out like a sore thumb amongst their classic tracks.

Would have still loved to have seen them though.

KxF

G

I55 you are correct I was reffering more to the mainstream stuff, however a friend is right into real Hip hop and I still don't like it, I may be wrong, but th only hip hoppy record I like is miseducation of lauren hill, if you can point me in the direction of quality well produced stuff like this with intelligent and intelligable rapping, about subjects other than sex and the wrtiters ego, then perhaps I may seek it out, proper balck soul is different to the RnB missy elliot kinda pap that filled our popular music charts over the last 5 years.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
wass up dooooowww

Blast Master KRS1, Fresh for 88 yoeeew suckeerrrs.

Ahhh way before your time Biccy. Back when HipHop was good.

How i used to love reminiscing

G

Ok rock dinosaur approaching but who the fcuk is DJ Shadow and whats all the fuss about.:Not Sure:

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
there was no fuss....... honest
wink.gif.25d7e4815f6a2fee62f4117deebb27e0.gif

reading this the day after makes me cringe :Not Sure:

Never again will I get upset about something that gets said on the interweb

Entroducing is a good album Duvet, try it out, its normally in the HMV sale. Might not be your taste, but nothing ventured, nothing gained

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
its never been 'cool' for me to listen to hiphop. I am the most average middle road chap you could ever meet. Everyone laughs when they see my music collection, as it just doesn't fit with my personality at all. Also, the fact that I love hiphop hasn't prevented me from listen to a large variety of other music (in fact, it positivly encouraged it).

The rap/rnb that currently has a grip on popular music has almost nothing to do with the music that I have grown up listening to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.