Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Basingstoke, , Unite
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Think these were my 3rd speakers some 25 years ago maybe longer and I really liked them.  I used to run them with Audiolab 8000C/P. They got damaged and then the kids came along and hifi took a back seat. A pair have come up on eBay £100 and I am tempted. Waste of money or worthwhile risk?

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think the way your kit has moved on they will be a huge disappointment, yes your looking at the experience through rose tinted spectacles but I think it's like looking up an old girlfriend. She used to be gorgeous but now she's had 3 kids and seriously gone to seed. 

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I remember the MC2 with some fondness. 

My newly acquired father in law asked his new audiophile son in law for advice in putting a system together. Must be getting on for 40 years ago. So we went along to a decent local hifi emporium and after a couple of hours auditioning agreed that the MC2 were the way to go. 

Comparisons included LS3/5a, which certainly impressed. But the MC2 won out with their fuller bass response. Quite a close call iirc, so yes, those MC2 are well worth considering imo. 

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Swann36 and Dannish

Swann36

Swann36 a Widower finding solace in music
Wammer
Jun 3, 2020
Lincoln UK
AKA
Lloyd
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For £100 what’s to lose ? If they disappoint like the old girlfriend whose no longer a stunner , move em on what have you lost £20 in fees and maybe just maybe they’ll be fabulous , like the girlfriend who is still fit after all these years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wine man forthe County

Wine man forthe County
Wammer
Apr 23, 2019
York
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They were a great series of speakers from M.Fid, I loved the MC2 but bought a pair of the MC4's as I had a fairly big listening room.  Sold them last year for £100 which was a wistful experience.🤔

robbyrtp

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Sep 28, 2009
Runcorn
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For £100 what’s to lose ? If they disappoint like the old girlfriend whose no longer a stunner , move em on what have you lost £20 in fees and maybe just maybe they’ll be fabulous , like the girlfriend who is still fit after all these years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah many a good tune played on an old fiddle as some say.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think the way your kit has moved on they will be a huge disappointment, yes your looking at the experience through rose tinted spectacles but I think it's like looking up an old girlfriend. She used to be gorgeous but now she's had 3 kids and seriously gone to seed. 
But then again..... 

... many a good tune played on an old fiddle as some say.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had the MC2s and upgraded to MC4s. They have more of everything and if you've got a reasonable sized room I'd hold out for a pair of them

mr neds

Wammer
Wammer
May 6, 2008
SE London, , Uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Mk. 1 or Mk. 2? The 1 had a metal dome tweeter and I think a rear port, whereas the 2 had a fabric dome and twin front ports. I have fond memories of mine, which I think were also run from an 8000a and have been tempted, like you, to get another pair. I think Lurch is probably right, apart from his dodgy sexist analogy........

daccordimark

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 16, 2009
Huddersfield
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mk. 1 or Mk. 2? The 1 had a metal dome tweeter and I think a rear port, whereas the 2 had a fabric dome and twin front ports. I have fond memories of mine, which I think were also run from an 8000a and have been tempted, like you, to get another pair. I think Lurch is probably right, apart from his dodgy sexist analogy........
....... but I think it's like looking up an old boyfriend. He used to be handsome and muscular but now he's got lazy, had too many pies, his hair has fallen out, he can't keep it up anymore and he's seriously gone to seed.

Does a bit of balance make it better? (It's okay I know it doesn't).

Mark.

SCIDB

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
, ,
Hi,

I had a pair of MC2s back in the day. I enjoyed them. I later upgraded to a pair of Snell J IIs.

I must admit, I wouldn't mind revisiting a pair. May hunt a pair down at later on this year.

Wine man forthe County

Wine man forthe County
Wammer
Apr 23, 2019
York
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As I remember the Mk2 MC series were a bit of a disappointment - visually & sonically.  Not a patch on the first series IMHO.

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I had a pair, mint for £4 at a a car boot. And as I like mf I thought my luck was in. Sounded pants with a Cyrus one and a yammy a500.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles