• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Musical Fidelity

wHIZZY

Measured Subjectivist
Wammer
Apr 12, 2016
Sunny Devon
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, I think Musical Fidelity claim their Digilog model launched in 1989 was the first stand alone DAC to market. Designed by Timothy de Paravicini it used the standard TDA1541chip rather than the much heralded S1 version which Tim apparently said sounded only marginally better and was very much more expensive. The Digilog sounds quite 'analogue' in nature although probably not as detailed as modern DACs. I owned one for a long while and only sold it relatively recently. Out of interest a TDA1541 S1 chip can now sell for circa £1k.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nopiano

JAD

Wammer
Mar 5, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought an MF M2si primarily to try them with KLH Kendall’s that I felt just couldn’t quite make peace with my Sugden a21a. I wanted to check out how another amp would work with them. now have Proac DB1’s and sitting here listening to them with the M2si and I am loving it. The thought running through my head is that the M2si doesn’t seem to have a huge amount of recognition in the £500 - £1,000 price bracket compared to the 6000a and Brio. They must be pretty special as they seem to be the go to’s in this bracket. Incedently, Sevenoaks currently selling a silver M2si split new at £499 which imho is a total bargain.

nomore landings

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2018
SE Dorset
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have one on back order. Long painful story short, the streamer in my TEAC developed a fault, although it's DAC remained an excellent performer to my ears. Eventually refunded. Decided to go with a separate DAC and streamer and the M6x ticked all the boxes. Not experienced ESS chips so excited to check it out with cd and the node as a streamer initially. Will report back hopefully before the end of the month.
built in Europe. New owners ProJect so hopefully good support.
no App, screen, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi or other potential noise generators. No over the air firmware updates.
an AES EBU input for an innuos pulse streamer
MQA input via spdif for Radio Paradise from the node and MQA cd from the Marantz.

Last edited:

nomore landings

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2018
SE Dorset
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Arrived last week and accumulating some hours. A week or two for full run in, but SQ highly favourable thus far. MF says to use factory settings initially before playing with filters, upsampling etc, but have been tempted by filter 8 which enhances 16/44.1 inputs to my ears. Feeding via coax from the Node, QoBuz sounding good and pleased to see the higher res tracks confirmed on source input and those 2L MQA tracks discussed in another thread illuminate the studio MQA led and 352.8 res displayed. I don't use Tidal, but guess this DAC will get the best out of it at this price level. Radio Paradise MQA stream also functions, but I'm evaluating the FLac stream upsampled to 352.8. Both a lovely listen imho. Cd similarly enhanced,and my few MQA CDs also unfold to 352.8 and offer sq close to SACD. In all delighted. The TEAC was an excellent DAC let down by a flakey streaming board. In a week or two, will decide if it is worth adding an Innuos streamer as the node performing well. Filter 8:

Oversampling bypass - The oversampling FIR filter, used for the 7 above mentioned presets, is bypassed and source data is upsampled to 352,8kHz/384kHz on the XMOS chip and sourced directly into the ES9038Q2M IIR filter. Bypassing the oversampling filter reduces the on chip PSU / ground noise and consequently reducing signal correlated clock modulation on the ESS DAC’s silicon die. When the source data is 705.6 / 768kHz, filter 8 is automatically turned on (NOTE: without up/downsampling to 352,8/384kHz), which turns off all remaining filtering, improving audio parameters and the frequency spectrum by yet another step. E5FD05B6-49F2-4862-9ED7-A031363E5626.jpeg

Chumpchops

From the safest places come the bravest words.
Wammer
Oct 3, 2014
Bristol
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have an X Ray Cdp and X Cans that I bought in early 90s. Never really got on with either. The mooted revealing CDP always Judy sounded on the shrill side of bright to me, when paired with Audiolab 8000 a and p thru mission 700s. I like the designs tho. Bought on the strength of rave reviews and without hone demo. One of my hi fi mistakes.

Order was restored when I replaced the x tay with a CD63se KI and moved to B&W 603s.

nomore landings

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2018
SE Dorset
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have an X Ray Cdp and X Cans that I bought in early 90s. Never really got on with either. The mooted revealing CDP always Judy sounded on the shrill side of bright to me, when paired with Audiolab 8000 a and p thru mission 700s. I like the designs tho. Bought on the strength of rave reviews and without hone demo. One of my hi fi mistakes.

Order was restored when I replaced the x tay with a CD63se KI and moved to B&W 603s.
Agree. A cd63 replaced a Cyrus 2 cd and was a big improvement. Apart from 20 years with a Meridian, have had Marantz ever since. As an early digital adopter in early 1984, it has been a long road, but the latest DAC technology has finally delivered imho. My first MF product, now owned by Pro Ject, and first experience of ESS chips.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
i was reading anthonys amazing story in a copy of a hi fi mag from 1998 . what an incredible guy and he was voracious in learning a musical instrument in such a short time at 15

Reactions: Nopiano

ruffra

Wammer
New Wammer
Aug 23, 2013
Surrey
AKA
Robert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unfortunately the MF app that you have is no longer available - so anyone buying one now will not be able to get the app.
I decided to try my Encore app , after reading this thread, as I had not used it for a while. Initially it didn't work but after a reboot of the M6 Encore it reconnected and I was able to search through the internal music and external NAS without problems . I have had the Encore from Nov 2016 and find it a really good player for both CD rips to hard drive and Network connected music from local NAS drive, however it has a habit of switching itself on randomly for some reason. This started soon after I purchased it but couldn't be bothered to have it fixed. I never used it for Network Streaming but have invested in a Bluenode streamer connected to its Coax input with rather good results using Amazon HD Music. I have had quite a collection of MF products over the years and still use the AMS 35I and Nuvista 2015 CD player which remain very listenable.

wHIZZY

Measured Subjectivist
Wammer
Apr 12, 2016
Sunny Devon
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Encore is an exceptionally underrated bit of kit mainly because until recently it had numerous software bugs. However, most of these have been fixed * including the CD meta data look-up when ripping. I use my Encore 225 to drive active speakers via the pre out sockets and the onboard DAC really is very special. It may not be the ultimate in detail but it's very musical and you can listen for extended periods without fatigue. Given the price these now sell for on the second hand markets the Encore must be one of the best bargains around.

* Thanks to Henley Audio

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdak02