My album of the year is -

M

MJ.

A little bit different to the best album released in 2013 thread as this one is to tell us the best album that you have discovered this year, regardless of release date.

I'll kick us off with -

41D65EYZYFL.jpg

The Gun Club - Fire of Love

Released in 1981, the debut album of The Gun Club, an LA based Punk Blues band, this album is a high octane mix of Cramps'esque, Stooges'esque, Rockabilly, Blues, Punk and good ol' American Corn Whisky type C & W.

Led by enigmatic frontman Jeffrey Lee Pierce (who met an untimely rock 'n' roll style ending to his life) and featuring Kid Congo of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds fame, I consider this a 'must have' album.

Stripped down, raw and simple, a real old school Rock 'n' Roll album.

If you like Velvet Underground and Nico, give it a spin, I think you'll like it. I do.

rmsshipbroker

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 4, 2012
Yorkshire
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Discovered lots of stuff this year through the Wam, which is one the true pleasures of this place.

However, for me this has been the year of Wevie Stonder.

(Yes, I am the bastard lovechild of Sodders).

Completely barmy and yet fookin genius at the same time. :^

Kenyan Harry is probably the strongest album for me, although the screaming insanity that is Boiled egg is my favourite track.

M

MJ.

Discovered lots of stuff this year through the Wam, which is one the true pleasures of this place.
I'd have to agree with that. Spotify Discover and the Wam have been my 2 biggest sources of new music this year.

Corruption

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2009
Bristol, UK
AKA
Neil
Dead Can Dance - Anastasis (and the subsequent live concert album from the world tour).

To be fair, I don't think they have ever made a bad song though!

AdamK

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 29, 2005
Bucks/Herts border
Dead Can Dance - Anastasis (and the subsequent live concert album from the world tour).To be fair, I don't think they have ever made a bad song though!
Same here -

Anastasis is indeed a fab album - Its the first Dead can Dance album that I have got into.

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
can I have 2 please sir?

Passenger - All The Little Lights (de luxe edition well worth the extra £) and the Elton's album The Diving Board, Elton & Bernie back to the top of their (early) game and it's all the better for dropping his backing band completely for this - IMHO it can stand on its own along side Elton's best work

nick dartmoor

Super Wammer Plus
Wammer
Sep 19, 2009
Devon, UK
That's going to take some serious consideration. Best half-dozen albums of the year - not too tricky, but to narrow it down to one?! Hmm....

Andy831

Wammer
Wammer
May 12, 2006
Hebden Bridge
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Simply Can't do just one, can I have three please?

Lucy Rose "Like I used To"

Emily Maguire " Bird Inside a Cage"

Agnes Obel "Aventine" and "Philharmonics"

But if it has to be 1 then its Agnes Obel "Aventine"

Andy831

Wammer
Wammer
May 12, 2006
Hebden Bridge
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I like Female vocals Andy should I go for your number 1 choice "Agnes Obel"
Hi Steve

Yes comes highly recommended if you google her you will find the whole album streamed. Just stunning vocals with the accompaniment of a cello and a piano its a must have album mate.

Andy

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Dammit, cant decide, highlights for me include:

James Bake - Overgrown (only bought a month back so still have not fully absorbed it)

Passenger - All the little lights

Public Service Broadcasting - Inform, Educate, Entertain

Kodaline - In a perfect world

London Grammar - If you wait

Half Moon Run - Dark Eyes

Tom Odell - Long Way Down (Saw him live)

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

Daughter - If you leave

Lucy Rose - Like I used to (Saw her live too)

Overall its got to be: Passenger - All the little lights - Just a really good, witty, interesting collection of songs that work really well together.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online