• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

nad 3020

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just got an old nad 3020 - surprisingly good condition (these are quite old aren't they, and this is near-mint) and am enjoying the sound
smile.png

Will ask quickly, then - firstly, when mine's turned on it sounds like it's muted for a second or so, then the sound kicks this. This happens consistently - not sure if this is a design feature, or the thing's playing up?

Secondly, the volume knob's slightly noisy (though seems to be improving with use). Can someone recommend a way to clean it?

Thanks.

syep2001

Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2006
Plymouth
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
the vol knob will be switch cleaner, spray on stuff

My old 3020 was that! I need another one, I miss it, so simple yet sounds so good!

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
1thanks - so the 'muting' as it comes on is meant to be there, then? Will try some spray on cleaner on the volume knob.

Does bass well, doesn't it
smile.png
Just realising how sensitive celestion ditton 44 speakers are, too - by the time its meter tells me the amp's putting out 1W (why don't all amps have power meters...) bits of the room are starting to vibrate
party4.gif.af93715a971cd102256f35cade2c9c1e.gif

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
If switch cleaner fails to do the job....and it probably will....just buy a new volume pot. Zero crackles and pops then!
74_74.gif.e35fe9be22561407fdbfee747b876f81.gif

Stanley Pain

Wammer
New Wammer
Oct 29, 2006
Cardiff UK
Sorry to go off topic slightly here, but i have a question about the Nad 372 amp.I purchased it back around 6 months ago and today i could hear a buzzing noise coming from the amp, it's not constant but kinda fades in and out, and it's happened once before (that i've noticed).I first noticed it a couple of months ago and then it seemed to stop completely and i forgot about it, but i heard it again today, is this normal? The amp hasn't been moved, and it has plenty of ventilation, any help will be much appreciated.Cheers

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
thanks Hector.

Stanley - yes, it happens. If the buzz is coming from the amp, not the speakers, maybe a buzzing transformer?

If it's under guarantee, and only recently started, I'd get it seen to. If not under guarantee, I guess it depends how much it annoys you.

JJCharles

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
London, , United Kin
Hi,

I had a NAD 3130 which I regret selling on eBay. It produced such a solid sound but was not harsh and unrefined either.

My AKAI amplifiers have speakers protection on them. Say you witch off the amplifier and the volume level is way up there... when you next switch it on... the amp introduces the power gradually to avoid damaging the speakers with a thump!
shitsfan.gif.cd1d9f23de26db569aa7ef6be1db61f8.gif

Although, I have started to not switch off all of my signal path equipment; amplifiers (x3 soon to be 4) and two graphic equalizers. It keeps the components warm and ready to play. Does anyone have any counter-info to suggest this is a bad thing.

Jane.

G

Jon - sounds like a nice find. Like Hector says, the muting is the result ofa relay circuit to protect the speakers.

Stanley, Jon's right in saying this is almost certainly a buzzing transformer - it's unlikely to be a fault with the amp, althoughthe transformer couldneed tightening down.

As the sound is intermittent, it suggestsit'sthe result of mains pollution fromsomething in the house, such as awashing machine, central heating, dimmer switch, hair dryer, or electric blanket(!)

A couple of times, my Nait 5i has done this -nothing to worry about.

ATB,

Alex

Stanley Pain

Wammer
New Wammer
Oct 29, 2006
Cardiff UK
Thanks guys, i was relieved to hear it wasn't a fault with the amp, although i have just recently read that the 372's can ocassionally blow up.I kinda read this in disbelief at first on a review site, but then someone pointed out that there's actually a warning on the main NAD site page, is anyone here already aware of this? It's got me alittle paranoid too, although NAD said it was all to do with not enough ventilation on the amps that did go boom, what do you guys make of this?

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
Stanley Pain wrote:

Thanks guys, i was relieved to hear it wasn't a fault with the amp, although i have just recently read that the 372's can ocassionally blow up.I kinda read this in disbelief at first on a review site, but then someone pointed out that there's actually a warning on the main NAD site page, is anyone here already aware of this? It's got me alittle paranoid too, although NAD said it was all to do with not enough ventilation on the amps that did go boom, what do you guys make of this?
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

http://nadelectronics.com/articles/Ventilation-Notice

Having read this, I agree it does sound a little bad. However, having owned the C370, C372 and C270 in the past and experienced no problems whatsoever...I think that Nad are probably right about it being a ventilation or mains issue. I wouldn't worry if you're thinking of purchasing one of these products.

nsherin

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 26, 2005
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jon,

Nice find, that 3020 - I've never heard one myself, but have always had a soft spot for NAD kit. As a very happy C320BEE owner (the 'current' 3020 equivilent), I can also confirm that the amp behaves in a similar fashion. In fact, in order to protect the amp and speakers, when you switch the amp on, you have to actually select a source before any sound is outputted through headphones or speakers.

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
nsherin wrote:

Jon,Nice find, that 3020 - I've never heard one myself, but have always had a soft spot for NAD kit. As a very happy C320BEE owner (the 'current' 3020 equivilent), I can also confirm that the amp behaves in a similar fashion. In fact, in order to protect the amp and speakers, when you switch the amp on, you have to actually select a source before any sound is outputted through headphones or speakers.
Thanks - don't think I'd heard any NAD gear before, but am getting more impressed with this amp
smile.png
Phono stage sounds pretty good, goes v loud with no apparent problems, headphone amp's surprisingly good (and no hiss at all through ety earphones), looks well built (must be, given how long its lasted)...oh yeah, and noisy volume pot seems to have almost fixed itself anyway :Coool:

pawnshop92

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Edinburgh
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have owned the older NAD stuff also when I lived in north america-a 7225pe and the 7100...Some nice stuff. My parents still have my 7100 receiver and the matching 5000 cd player and also my rega p3!! They still use it to play beaten up records and johnny cash. Haven't been able to find my old LP's though on my last trip home, though...
sad.png

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Original 1979-ish NAD 3020 I had was best musical integrated I ever heard with my choice of inputs/loudspeaker-systems until 2004 Marantz 7200. Part of charm of both is 'euphonic fatness' through right loudspeakers particularly attractive on LP12 sourced vinyl.

'Euphonic fatness' is quality I remember from 1960s-1970s valve amps I used to use when playing tapes/records at dances in big hotel wooden-sound halls when lots of people liked boogie-ing to good old sounds.

syep2001

Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2006
Plymouth
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Original and the best, still not heard a newer one that is better!!!

I'm after one if anyone wants to flog me one lol

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
hmm, maybe the 7200 does sound a bit like the 3020. It doesn't come with a power meter, though
wink.png

syep, you often see 3020s on fleabay etc. Think I may be hanging onto mine, though
smile.png
(well, tempted to try a 'better' digital amp...but happy with the 3020 for now...)

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
syep2001 wrote:

Original and the best, still not heard a newer one that is better!!!I'm after one if anyone wants to flog me one lol
Yes, they're on eBay all the time. I've got a barely used and mint example in the loft with original box and instructions. I'm hanging onto it in the perhaps forlorn hope that one day it will be worth a bit.
pray.gif.84955f3b1709939cd9186fd2e3d88a8e.gif

IHaveNoNaim

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2005
, ,
jon wrote:

Just got an old nad 3020 - surprisingly good condition (these are quite old aren't they, and this is near-mint) and am enjoying the sound
smile.png
Blimey that dates me, I remember buying one of these with my very first pay packet! Passed it on to a friend and its still going strong all these years later....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kinchitshaw