stax92

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2013
Kent
AKA
Steve
Hi Richard

I'm pretty close to getting one of these but have a question. I've read that it has a "Subwoofer Output complete with an electronic high pass crossover filter". I have some Frugal Horn speakers that sound great but I'm thinking of adding a subwoofer to take some of the lower frequency 'work' away from the 4" drivers. How does the crossover work (in the sense of how configurable is it or if not, at what frequency does it cross over)?

Thanks

Audiologica

Audiologica
Wammer
Jan 28, 2013
Horsham
AKA
Richard Santiago
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi there - it's not configurable in terms of cross-over point, the crossover would be set on the subwoofer itself

Regards,

Richard

stax92

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2013
Kent
AKA
Steve

Audiologica

Audiologica
Wammer
Jan 28, 2013
Horsham
AKA
Richard Santiago
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Stax

I've been having a play with our demo 3020 today and I must say I am stumped! The Bass EQ button does indeed give a bit of extra bass enhancement which worked well with a pair of Eclipse TD508Mk3 loudspeakers but in terms of the "high pass filter" there is certainly no indication control and there appears to be be no affect on the speakers themselves when a subwoofer is connected

You are welcome to give the 3020 a try if you have any concerns

stax92

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2013
Kent
AKA
Steve
Hi Richard

Thanks for looking into that for me. The Eclipse speakers as full rangers are a good choice for testing it. I'm a bit stumped too, apart from the NAD white paper and that forum post that suggests the connection of a subwoofer automatically high passes the speakers at 100 Hz I can't find any more information and I've looked hard. I don't want to put you out by trying it until I can get to the bottom of this one point. So (assuming the bass EQ is off) if you connect the subwoofer and turn the volume right down on it there's no noticeable effect on the speakers when you disconnect the sub and then reconnect it (sub volume still 'off')?

It looks like a superb amp and I've not read a negative or even equivocal review of it, the 2.1 feature is really important to me though.

Cheers

Steve

JB

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2008
Windsor
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have the amp, great little thing. I also have it connected to Cabasse IO2 sats and a Santorin 25 sub. Works well, knew nothing of the Bass Eq function - will give it a try at home tonight! I use the cross over and volume on the sub to set the levels. Note the sub connection on the D3020 is a 3.5mm jack and not RCA

• Upvote
Reactions: stax92

stax92

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2013
Kent
AKA
Steve
Cheers JB, by the way it was your little write up on the amp that made me aware of it in the first place.

Audiologica

Audiologica
Wammer
Jan 28, 2013
Horsham
AKA
Richard Santiago
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Steve,

Busy day today, if I get the chance I will have a play again tomorrow

Regards

Richard

Audiologica

JB

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2008
Windsor
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I asked NAD support and got this answer "The high pass cut-off frequency is approximately 80Hz with 7dB of boost". So my sats are rated to 150Hz, what should I set the crossover on my sub at?

stax92

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2013
Kent
AKA
Steve
Thanks JB, I looked around for NAD support but it only seems to be available if you've registered a bit of kit so I appreciate you looking into that. It sounds bit vague though and contrary to what NAD support apparently said somewhere else (see above). It sounds like you need to dial your sub up to match your sats, the ellusive D3020 high pass won't have any effect on your set up.

Audiologica

Audiologica
Wammer
Jan 28, 2013
Horsham
AKA
Richard Santiago
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi guys, had a play with our demo 3020 today and there seems to be no noticeable effect on the behaviour of the speakers with the subwoofer conne ted. In terms of subwoofer crossover setting, theres no definitive answer - best to let the sub and sats share a bit of bandwidth but then use your ears to decide what's right for your personal taste. When it's right you will know it's right.

Happy for you try out our demo amplifier and it's in stock should you choose to buy

Regards

Richard

Audiologica

JB

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2008
Windsor
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks will try it out. Great amps Richard I hope they sell well for you - they should.

stax92

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2013
Kent
AKA
Steve
Thanks Richard, I appreciate your help and the offer. I've no sub to try it out with yet so that will have to come first, I'll be in touch.

Steve

Audiologica

Audiologica
Wammer
Jan 28, 2013
Horsham
AKA
Richard Santiago
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
OK Steve

If you need any help with a sub please let us know

Regards

Richard

Audiologica

Audiologica
Wammer
Jan 28, 2013
Horsham
AKA
Richard Santiago
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
One of our most popular selling items, please contact us to buy or demo -

01403 336 339

barcuri

Wammer
New Wammer
Jun 12, 2014
Hi guys, had a play with our demo 3020 today and there seems to be no noticeable effect on the behaviour of the speakers with the subwoofer conne ted. In terms of subwoofer crossover setting, theres no definitive answer - best to let the sub and sats share a bit of bandwidth but then use your ears to decide what's right for your personal taste. When it's right you will know it's right. Happy for you try out our demo amplifier and it's in stock should you choose to buy

Regards

Richard

Audiologica
Hi,

I have the same issue. I connect a sub to the D3020 and there is no high pass filter that engages. Anybody else?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online