• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Naim, or Densen?

G

Don't get me wrong, I love my system as it is, I'm just curious about Densen.

I know I need to hear it for myself, but can anyone tell me what to expect from a lower end Densen system. What advantages/disadvantages will it have over my cd5x/nait 5i? My speakers are Neat Motive 2s.

I nearly auditioned their cheapest amp (B110?) before getting my nait 5i, but never got round to itas by that stage my naim-washing was well under way and I was hooked on the naim sound.

Please can someone tell me which Densen cd player I should try with the B-110? I'm sure I've heard somewhere that there's a new one out, only it got a pretty poor review in one of the mags.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Wayne

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
By most accounts the Densen CD players are not their strong point. Peeps tend to like the amps a lot (I know I do) and many prefer them to Naim amps.

CD player wise the Naim CD player may be the better option.

for my money I would keep the Naim CDP and change the amp for the Densen B110. But thats just my tastes.

It is worth mentioning I have heard a Densen CD players myself and thought it sounded good. Can;t remember which one it was though. Sorry.

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
HiFi Trade
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
if you are going to change, why limit yourself to Densen, you should broaden your horizons, a little. Nothing wrong with Densen, but perhaps something else may float your boat, point is you won't know till you try.

gypsums

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2006
torquay, ,
purchase hi fi +issue 49 theres a section on denson beat cd, pre and power amp

the prices are £1400/ £1100/ £3000 ok may be not:shock:

nixon_fiend

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 31, 2005
Leeds UK, ,
From memory, there was some confused ovine creature on the naim forum by the name of 'nuno baptisa' or something who bought a nait5/cd5i .. waxed lyrical about it as they all love to .. until he bought a densen b110 to replace the nait .. then wouldn't shut up about how much better it was.

I'm sure a quick search over there will throw it all up.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Change the naim amp for Densen and the CD player for Copland. Sorted.
biggrin.png

G

Thanks for all your replies.

I've just checked the Densen website, which has the B-400 plus and B-400 Xs cd players. Maybe there isn't a new one after all as these have been out a while, haven't they?

Paul, I totally understand your point and you're right. I'm interested in Densen though as I know a couple of people who've switched to Densen from naim - it's got a similar sound I think?

James/Barry - I'm not afraid to admit that looks matter to me, so I'd maybe swap both the amp and cd player together, and Densen looks gorgeous! So does my naim in a bauhaus(?) kind of understated way , of course. (The smiley with its tongue out would be nice here.)

PB - good as I'm sure it'll be, there's no way I'm spending £2500 on the Supernait - that's out of my league (Coleen would kill me!)

Dave - haha, I'm only too familiar with the postings of a certain Portugeezer called Nuno. I didn't know there was a naim forum these days? (Definitely a smiley with a wink here!)

So, anyone with a Densen amp and cd player want to persuade me I need to hear what I'm missing?

Thanks again all.

alexg

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2006
, ,
My B400XS saw off my CDS2/XPS2 comfortably with either Naim amps (52/250.2) or non-Naim amps.

I didn't like any of the Densen power amps that I've heard though.

Polarbear

Old bear
Wammer Plus
Jul 24, 2005
AKA
PB
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
PB - good as I'm sure it'll be, there's no way I'm spending £2500 on the Supernait - that's out of my league (Coleen would kill me!)
Listen mate, if she wants Take that at her party, you can have the Supernait ok :dude:

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
BTW I'm not really called Barry - that's a sheep joke!

nixon_fiend

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 31, 2005
Leeds UK, ,
There is a new densen CDP, the b410 @ £1000

hifi companies are always slow to update their websites

But I think a nice silver b110 would look fly with the cd5x.. In fact, I've often thought myself that a b110, cd5x and a pair of Neat elites would keep me happy for decades!

G

meninblack wrote:

BTW I'm not really called Barry - that's a sheep joke!
So it is!

If I'm being honest, I don't play for arubbish footballclub (now I've done it!)

Thanks again Dave, knew I'd seen it somewhere -just googled Densen B410. You never know, but if price is anything to go on (which it ain't), my cd5x should see it off. Just read the other two Densen cd players are due for replacement soon. Maybe I'll wait for those.

Cheers all.

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
I really rate the CD5x. It's agreat palyer and proabably the best VFM in the Naim range IMO. I'd personally take the CD5x over the equivalent Densen.

However, the next CD player up in the Densen range is a completely different kettle of fish. I've heard both the Naim CDS3 and the Densen B-400xs and reckon the Densen is comfortably ahead.

As for the Densen amps, I really rate their entry level pre/power. (Can't remember the model numbers) I've not heard the B-110 but it should be a cracker. There are also the 2 other integrateds from Densen, the B-130 and B-150. Can't wait for atheshowdown between the SuperNait and the B-150!

:force:

Lefty

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A pal of mine has got a Michell Gyro/Naim CDX2/Primare pre-power/PMCs. He auditioned a Densen (forget the designations) CD/Amp combo when he bought CDX2. Very impressed with the Amp (although not enough to change the Primare) but the the CD lacked detail but most of all dynamics.

A

Alex A

HiFiWigWam wrote:

By most accounts the Densen CD players are not their strong point. Peeps tend to like the amps a lot (I know I do) and many prefer them to Naim amps. CD player wise the Naim CD player may be the better option.
My experience is the opposite.

For £825 you can't beat the CD5i for what it does. But, in my opinion, and after a 2 week demo at home, the Densen B400XS (£2.5k) was streaks ahead of the CDX2 (keeps going up every week but circa. £3k). There was nothing which I thought the Naim was better at. This Densen model is the only one thus far to use their 25bit DAC technology, which certainly sounds very interesting if you look at their webby, and definately did the trick for me.

Now I know you probably aren't looking to spend nigh on £3k, but don't let a single poor review of a different product in HFC put you off. Indeed, the B400+ (outgoing £1400 model) was and still is(?) a reference spinner for a few professional writers.

I don't think their CD players are in any way overshadowed by their amps. The fact that the original Beat was a 'budget' amp does not mean that Densen are best for their amps and not so great with CD.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Personally i prefer Densen's amps to Naim's as they're a reasonably good all-rounder which imo the Naims clearly aren't. The new Beat 110 should be a cracker - the old 100 is still my fave integrated under a grand.

Wouldn't choose a Naim cd player either as they're so coloured and unnatural imo - would go for a Meridian G06 possibly instead.

As you may have gathered by now Naim really doesn't float my boat, whereas i find Densen quite decent actually.

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
I have to say I wasn't that impressed with the Naim CD5x. I auditioned it A/B with the Rega Saturn through a Naim Pre/Power combo and the Saturn was superior in every department.

I walked out with a wonderful CD player and £150.00 to spend on CD's. (against the price of the CD5x)

I only posted this as I rarely see the Saturn get a mention in the tent and it is a very fine player indeed!

Jezzer

Passionate
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Rega Apolloand Densen Beat (as papa says - perhaps the best ampunder a grand). Fantastic synergy. Compared to some of the kit I've owned I know what it does well and where it lacksbut I am very happy with the sound.
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

(and in terms of 'visual appeal' the two look good together on the hifi rack)

Have had a cd5i and Nait5i. Pretty good. Lively. Good for rock.

Have had a cd5x, nap112x, 150x, FlatCap2. Even better. More refined. A better all-rounder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kinchitshaw