Nakamichi Dragon

Andy Stephenson

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 8, 2022
North East England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've spotted one of these legendary machines on sale for £450 on Facebook Marketplace.

At that price I'm guessing that it's either a skip candidate or a scam. What little I've read about scams tends to suggest that the object of interest tends to be in far off places. This one is in Northern Ireland!
In the absence of a trip across The Irish Sea you'd be parting with a fair bit of money in the hope of acquiring something that actually works.
So, is it worth the risk, or as I suspect, is it a case of it's 'too good to be true'?
There is no mention of whether it works or not!

Andy

Last edited:

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is very little chance that this can be genuine. Unless it is described as not working and is in seriously poor condition. I am not a Facebook user so don’t know what protections exist. Maybe there is someone on the Wam from NI who could maybe help?

Andy Stephenson

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 8, 2022
North East England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is very little chance that this can be genuine. Unless it is described as not working and is in seriously poor condition. I am not a Facebook user so don’t know what protections exist. Maybe there is someone on the Wam from NI who could maybe help?
It doesn't look in particularly good condition!

Andy

johncu

Wammer
Wammer
May 23, 2011
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
May not be related but there have been a number of scam high end hifi listings on eBay lately with the seller based in Belfast. I asked If I could pick up a pair of speakers rather than use their courier and got no reply.

Andy Stephenson

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 8, 2022
North East England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There are several on eBay at the minute, varying in price from £2670 for a parts only/not working one to £4995

So £450 is questionable at best!

To be honest, I wasn't tempted, just intrigued at the price!

Andy

dave

incurable tinkerer
Wammer
Mar 24, 2014
cambs
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What unit ?
In my personal experience Neal 302, when I had one for direct comparison, and a philips black tulip deck who's number escapes me. Both discreet transistor decks. On tape heads some earlier totl Nak's are mentioned amongst others. The Dragon is an amazing piece of engineering, but purely on sound quality there are better, even if they don't measure as well imo.

Last edited:

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nak CR7 for one.
My custom Aiwa XK-S7000 is different rather than better or worse to the Higher end Naks. At this level it’s more of a subjective preference rather than better or worse. And better still are Custom Tascams and Technics (can’t remember the model numbers) that I heard at Alex Nikitin’s house; he really transformed these decks and they were stunning.

• Upvote
Reactions: dave

Thetiminator

Painfully Virile
Wammer
Nov 12, 2012
In the doghouse :(
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don’t know if you’ve received it yet but this is genuine…a friend of a friend was selling it. I only heard about it yesterday and offered him £500 but he was in the midst of boxing it up to send….
I’m not sure of the condition but definitely a good buy you jammy…:mad::p

Reactions: DomT

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don’t know if you’ve received it yet but this is genuine…a friend of a friend was selling it. I only heard about it yesterday and offered him £500 but he was in the midst of boxing it up to send….
I’m not sure of the condition but definitely a good buy you jammy…:mad::p
Wow so not all cheap deals on Facebook are dodgy!!!

limbok

Wammer
Aug 13, 2023
Manchester
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Re: FB Marketplace, there is a golden rule, payment (not cash) on collection. Sending money in advance, postage...no way that can happen safely!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles