Linn Owners

Need a cartridge recommendation on Ekos SE

Ron.P

Wammer
Jan 28, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Horrible "cleaning lady" catastrophe has left my Kandid unusable. The cantilever is at a severe right angle. Ugh!
I would happily just buy another Kandid, but any recommendations? Lyra? Koestsu? Ortofon? Ekstatik? Whatever?
I temporarily installed an old Sumiko Blackbird which really isn't bad. But it's not in the same league as the Kandid.
Recommendations appreciated.
Ron

• Wow
Reactions: dikki and Wenge1

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, I guess that all depends on how much the "cleaning lady" wants to spend. Most economical option would be too have the Kandid rebuilt by Goldring.

If its absolutely time for new, you can have the detailed, analytical sound of the Linn/Lyra cartridges or the more rounded, euphonic sound of the Koetsus. Having lived with Lyras for 15 years, my preference for a new cartridge would be Koetsu, but that's just me. Note the posts on the challenges of mounting some cartridges on the Ekos/SE headshells.

Ron.P

Wammer
Jan 28, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, I guess that all depends on how much the "cleaning lady" wants to spend. Most economical option would be too have the Kandid rebuilt by Goldring.

If its absolutely time for new, you can have the detailed, analytical sound of the Linn/Lyra cartridges or the more rounded, euphonic sound of the Koetsus. Having lived with Lyras for 15 years, my preference for a new cartridge would be Koetsu, but that's just me. Note the posts on the challenges of mounting some cartridges on the Ekos/SE headshells.
Thanks. Frankly, I love the sound of my LP-12/Kandid and I'd be happy to just get another. I was just looking for info like yours re differences in sound character of cartridges.

Ron.P

Wammer
Jan 28, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I'm sure you're kidding, but I'm not telling the single mother without two nickels to rub together, the details of what she did. My fault for leaving the dust cover off.

Andyt916

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2020
Hertfordshire, UK
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm sure you're kidding, but I'm not telling the single mother without two nickels to rub together, the details of what she did. My fault for leaving the dust cover off.
Quite right too, kudos to you. We don't have a cleaning lady, however my partner is a bit keen with the cleaning/dusting brush. Just heading off to get that dust cover on :)

Reactions: Ron.P

heimo

Naimless
Wammer
Sep 14, 2020
Vienna, Austria EU
AKA
Heimo
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes

I only lost a replaceable Adikt Stylus to a similar mishap, still, dunno, half a year's worth of cleaning? In any case I would mention the problem, leaving out the exact monetary details, just to prevent future accidents of that kind. Not only thinking of the successor to your Kandid, whatever you will decide upon, but you might even keep her from bringing another client's Ekstatik to a sudden, premature end...

Bertox

Wammer
Dec 10, 2018
Well, the most value for money way to get back the Kandid sound is refurbish it. The Kandid/Lyra cart. has a Ogura stylus. I was told is just the same 3 um 70 um of Lyra Kleos. You just must be able to find a "cart. man" who has that stylus and the skills to do it properly.
Here in Italy the "rising star" is the man behind http://www.cartridgelab.it
I'm quite confident he has in stock that Ogura stylus. Recently he refurbished a VdH BB others did not believe repairable.

Ron.P

Wammer
Jan 28, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Although I ordinarily would never buy a used cartridge, a friend has offered me his Lyra Etna; barely used, at a fraction of the original price.
Anyone have experience with them?

Wenge1

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 19, 2021
West Yorkshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Although I ordinarily would never buy a used cartridge, a friend has offered me his Lyra Etna; barely used, at a fraction of the original price.
Anyone have experience with them?
Brilliant Cart IMHO - I have ended up with a Lyra Atlas but none the less it would not have been a 'disappointment' if I had ended up with the Etna. Of course. like every other piece of HiFi kit, different people will inevitably have their own preferences.

Reactions: pirov and Ron.P

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The cheap option, like Bertox says, would be to have it repaired with the original Ogura cantilever/stylus combination. I paid around € 600,- for my Akiva. You get € 952,- for the defective one, if you trade it in for a new Kandid and 1.190,- against an Ekstatik, which really is quite a bit better.
The Kendo could be interesting too, but then you get no trade-in and would have to sell the Kandid as defective.

• Upvote
Reactions: ThomasOK and DB1328

Ron.P

Wammer
Jan 28, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm very happy with the Kandid and I've never accused it of having shortcomings.
Since the Kandid is supposed to be made by Lyra, I'm assuming the Etna will have a Lyra "house sound", and I'll go for that, since it's my least expensive option.
Does anyone know what the Kandid most closely resembles in the Lyra line?

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I suppose the Kandid most resembles the Kleos, but there are significant differences like the 3-point-mounting and very different bodies. The Kandid is significantly lighter at 5,7 g vs. 8,8 g.

Daveyf

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 12, 2018
San Diego
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm very happy with the Kandid and I've never accused it of having shortcomings.
Since the Kandid is supposed to be made by Lyra, I'm assuming the Etna will have a Lyra "house sound", and I'll go for that, since it's my least expensive option.
Does anyone know what the Kandid most closely resembles in the Lyra line?
The Lyra's do have a 'house sound'. As you go up the line, you pay for a little more resolving ability and slightly more extension in the bottom end, with the Atlas Lambda having the best of these attributes. I believe the sweet spot in the line is the Kleos. As Tendaberry stated above, the Kleos is the closest sibling to the Kandid. Both share the same motor, although the similarity to all of the Lyra's in this aspect is very close.
Going for your friends Etna ( IF it is in excellent condition) would be a great option.

Reactions: pirov

Ron.P

Wammer
Jan 28, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Lyra's do have a 'house sound'. As you go up the line, you pay for a little more resolving ability and slightly more extension in the bottom end, with the Atlas Lambda having the best of these attributes. I believe the sweet spot in the line is the Kleos. As Tendaberry stated above, the Kleos is the closest sibling to the Kandid. Both share the same motor, although the similarity to all of the Lyra's in this aspect is very close.
Going for your friends Etna ( IF it is in excellent condition) would be a great option.
Thanks for your reply, Davey. As I'm trying to save enough for a Radikal, I'm going the least expensive route and having it restored by Peter Lederman. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the Sumiko that I'm using.

quinn_t

Wammer
May 21, 2022
San Francisco
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The problem of any non-linn cartridge is that you leave some scratches on the head shell for the 3rd hole (if it is a linn arm, and your previous cartridge is a linn one). Maybe this is a non-problem, but I always want no scratch on my Ekos 2.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kengxx