• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Need a little help with mains block/cable DIY project.

contour

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 25, 2006
, , Netherlands
I've ordered some stuff to make myself some nice 7 way mainsblocks(Rittal mainsblock same as van den Hul uses) with Lapp Ölflex 110cy 3x2.5 shielded wire and 3 mainscables with IEC connectors with 94% copper contactsand Bals 7306 schuko plugs(same as on many high end wire's but the often use the blue one). I'm going to connect the shield to earth at the plug side only for better shielding. I'm a bit confused about where the live wire should go though on the Shuko because there are basicly plugs with no indication and with indication on the right pin but also plugs with live on the left. I thought it will be best if the live wire is on the same side in both the schuko plug and the IEC connector. I also read very often that sound improvements can be had if everything is connected up the same way. So the question is on witch side looking at the IEC socket on your cdp from the outside is the live connection and where's the neutral(I know the pin in the middle,if there's one to start with, is ground). When I make them up this way I theoreticly will only have to check the power socket in the wall for the life wire and connect al the other cables accordingly that they will end up with the life wire on the right side for the cdp and amp.

Hope you guys can help me out also other tips to improve the cables are welcome.

Stuff I'm going to use:

Wires and plugs at:

http://stores.ebay.at/Wired-but-wonderful_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZQ2d33QQftidZ2QQtZkm

hifinut

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2006
Ramsgate Southeast K
AKA
Paul
The middle pin is the earth the plug if held so the earth is at the bottom lower than other pins positive is the left hand and neutral the right hand pin ie my little drawing
sleep.png
this is for the iec and the positive for wall socket if you hold the plug as if to go to plug it in the right is positive left neutral and earth the middle or outside if on shuko.

contour

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 25, 2006
, , Netherlands
I'm real sorry hifinut but this doesn't clear it up completely because you speak of the IEC plug I understand from your drawing that if looking at the socket on the cdp
sleep.png
live is on the right pin ground on the middle and neutral on the left. Do I understand this correctly from your story? I'm talking about looking at the socket of the cdp as you would normally see it while standing behind it.

Sorry if the question is a bit eleberate but English isn't my native language so I just wan't to be sure.

To make it perfectly clear looking at it like this:

technobear

Ursine Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2005
Glastonbury, UK
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
No. Looking at it like that, it's L E N.

The wire side of the IEC plug should be labelled L E N from left to right with earth at the top.

I have several examples of same here and mine are labelled.

Can't help with the Shukos though
sad.png

technobear

Ursine Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2005
Glastonbury, UK
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I've had a dig around for Shucko and all I have been able to find out is that there is no standard for live and neutral and in any case the plug can be inserted into the socket either way round anyway so there is no enforced polarity.

contour

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 25, 2006
, , Netherlands
Thanks you guys!
smile.png

Technobear your picture is excellent and leaves no margin for error in the interpretation. I also think from what I read on the net on the Schuko's thatthere is no real correct way around for the live and neutral as both left and right pins are being used for the live. I will mark the livepin on the Schuko from the outside so I only have to look for the live in the wall powersocket and then put the live pin in then every thing should be connected correctly and theoreticly this will bring the best sound.

Any thoughts on using bare wire,crimp sleeves or tinned wire ends to screw into the Schuko plugs and IEC connectors? I thought using the bare wire ends would give the best possible connection but in long term the other solutions may be better.

technobear

Ursine Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2005
Glastonbury, UK
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
contour wrote:

Any thoughts on using bare wire,crimp sleeves or tinned wire ends to screw into the Schuko plugs and IEC connectors? I thought using the bare wire ends would give the best possible connection but in long term the other solutions may be better.
Crumbs, I hadn't taken it that far. I'm using bare wire.

I'musing ProGold on every contact point. This should help to ensure that the contact stays clean over the long term.

contour

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 25, 2006
, , Netherlands
I think I will also keep it at bare wire connections as they are the simplest. Maybe a contact fluid is a good idea. I have good experience with plain old wd40 witch works great on my motorcycle electrical contacts and these have to withstand mutch greater abuse then my audio gear. In comparrison to contact cleaners that only clean the contact but leave no protective layer wd40 works mutch longer and better and I have also used it to clean rca plugs and sockets(using a q tip and some wd40 I spray in a cup).

Dannish

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Basingstoke, , Unite
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
contour wrote:

When i had my TT serviced a couple of weeks ago, the guy cut off the tinned ends on the power lead and reconnected using just the bare wire. Siad it sounded better like this:shock:
biggrin.png

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
If you want to get obsessive about IEC C13 / C14 connectors then why not do away with them all together and solder the mains cable directly to the equipment (like a captive lead)?

From a mechanical and electrical point of view this would be a better connection than any wanky audiophile plug. You could also bypass the on / off switch. I’m sure this must horribly degrade the sound also (at least that’s the rumour I’m starting
wink.png
).

contour

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 25, 2006
, , Netherlands
Nice Andi and it bassicly goes with the feeling I had myself about bare wire connections probably being the best cause imo they offer the greates contact patch compared to adding crimp sleeves. Not realy obsessive MosfetI needed some good mains blocks and when I ordered cable I knew I would have enough spare for 3 mains cables for both cdp's and my amp. The parts I use are said to be good quality and I had the choice between good quality parts from German eBay and crap parts from local Dutch diy centers for roughly the same price so the choice was easely made. Lapp Ölflex 3x2.5 Cable aslo not very expensive at 2 euro's and 80 cents including postage and packaging. I do agree that any connection is pottentially a point of loss and more prone to develope unwanted added interference and noise but in real life never noticed any problems. Do feel that the shielded cable could bring some benefits esspecialy because I have to use quite a long wire on one of them due to the positioning of power sockets in my home and all wires behave like big antenna's picking up all sorts of unwanted stuff. So as I had to do the job anyway I want to do it as good as possible and also keep the live wires connected up the wright way as this is also said to bring improvements(and if it doesn't it won't hurt either).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joxtycvqx