<Networking>Latest QNAP security update causing problems for OPPO 105D...help!

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Today I upgraded the QNAP software to the latest QTS 5.0.1 and it forced the use of SMB 2.0. This level of security meant my 105D could no longer access video files on my NAS (but could access music from Minimserver). I read in the notes that I could change the "lowest SMB version" to 1.0, which I did, and all is working again.

Questions:

1. I think I have effectively cut off all WAN access to the NAS, but SMB was the vector for some of the earlier QNAP exploits. Am I putting my data at risk?

2. I've been thinking about upgrading to an Oppo 203. Does anyone know of the Oppo 203 might support SMB 2.0?

3. Given the above, am I foolish to even contemplate any Oppo products given they are abandonware now? The control point apps for the 10x and 20x players are no longer available on the Play Store. They are unquestionably great sounding and looking players. I've often wondered if I should look at a Denon etc rather than sticking with these potential security risks on my network. I only use the OPPO to play video to my 1080p plasma. What would be the latest equivalent of an OPPO...that would last, and be supported for a decade? While this is beyond the boundaries of this subforum any advice would be much appreciated.

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So long as you are behind a reasonably secure NAT based firewall then you should be fine. This falls down if you employ the various means some of these companies use to allow you to access your data outside of your home. So make sure you haven’t opened any ports or employed file sharing strategies that allow external access.

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
My Asus router is layer one and my Netgear switch is the second, with your suggestions enforced on the QNAP. Is the SMP broadcasting anything loud enough to get past that out into the wider world to attract nefarious attention? I did have their global file sharing on, and it was pretty spotty, in 2017, but I gave up on it.

Stunningly, OPPO actually replied to an email telling me that it only does SMB 1.0, and that the 203 also only does 1.0. Shame they gave up making these things.

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
So long as you are behind a reasonably secure NAT based firewall then you should be fine. This falls down if you employ the various means some of these companies use to allow you to access your data outside of your home. So make sure you haven’t opened any ports or employed file sharing strategies that allow external access.

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The problem with SMP 1.0 is more to do with the ability to access files without permissions or a password. They can’t make themselves available outside your NAT, the problem is purely about securing your home network, and confining their use to your network which is isn’t a problem for most people. You aren’t going to pick them up and take them to your local Internet cafe (I hope!) An extra layer of security might be to double NAT (add an extra router) but that adds a whole layer of expense and complexity.

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
Lincolnshire Coast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Today I upgraded the QNAP software to the latest QTS 5.0.1 and it forced the use of SMB 2.0. This level of security meant my 105D could no longer access video files on my NAS (but could access music from Minimserver). I read in the notes that I could change the "lowest SMB version" to 1.0, which I did, and all is working again.

Questions:

1. I think I have effectively cut off all WAN access to the NAS, but SMB was the vector for some of the earlier QNAP exploits. Am I putting my data at risk?

2. I've been thinking about upgrading to an Oppo 203. Does anyone know of the Oppo 203 might support SMB 2.0?

3. Given the above, am I foolish to even contemplate any Oppo products given they are abandonware now? The control point apps for the 10x and 20x players are no longer available on the Play Store. They are unquestionably great sounding and looking players. I've often wondered if I should look at a Denon etc rather than sticking with these potential security risks on my network. I only use the OPPO to play video to my 1080p plasma. What would be the latest equivalent of an OPPO...that would last, and be supported for a decade? While this is beyond the boundaries of this subforum any advice would be much appreciated.
Shirt answer is; there aren't any. Disc playback is being/has been usurped by streaming. You stream from your own files, many metely stream from tne 'net. No major player manufactures quality universal players. The closest would be Reavon, but they're based on early Oppo machines. Not a patch on a 205.

If you want to stay with a universal player, then perhaps shell out for the best example of a 205 you can find and buy a couple of spare mechs. There will be a few people around who can keep thse going.

If all you do with the Oppo is play video files to your TV, then you're better off using a software solution for that.

Tintinabulum

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 8, 2014
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Shirt answer is; there aren't any. Disc playback is being/has been usurped by streaming. You stream from your own files, many metely stream from tne 'net. No major player manufactures quality universal players. The closest would be Reavon, but they're based on early Oppo machines. Not a patch on a 205.

If you want to stay with a universal player, then perhaps shell out for the best example of a 205 you can find and buy a couple of spare mechs. There will be a few people around who can keep thse going.

If all you do with the Oppo is play video files to your TV, then you're better off using a software solution for that.

Questions:

I use an Oppo to stream 5.1 audio files and the odd movie. If I startup the NAS with the Oppo already on, it will need a password etc to access the NAS files. If I turn the Oppo off and then on again, it can access the files as guest. Go figure. Works though.

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes

The Oppo makes a superior picture though. My computer output is garbage compared to streaming videos from the NAS. As I said, I never spin disks with it. Again, I'm surprised no one else of the giant brands can do what the OPPO does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles