Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm doing a bit of dreaming here. I keep thinking that some better, more powerful and more musical amps would really help take the Akubariks up a notch or two. The current amps are based on the Majik amps, at 100W, except the isobarik amps which are 200W. This used to seem like a lot of power, but with the Klimax 350s sporting 3000W total, seems rather wimpy by comparison. I've heard rumor that Linn are developing new top of the line amps. How about some technology trickle down?

So when Linn offer Organik for the Akubariks (and Akudoriks), how about new modules with new more powerful amps included? Maybe class D technology, if that's better. It does seem to be a direction to which some are headed.

Again, just dreaming. :D

frans5508

Wammer
Wammer
May 24, 2020
Panama
AKA
Frans
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've heard rumor that Linn are developing new top of the line amps
I've not heard this and tried to verify this (as i was in the process of buy my Solos). I did hear a rumor on the speaker front. Could indeed be higher end integrated speakers with better amps/DAC's. It looks this is the direction that Linn is going. Future will tell but I am sure we'll have new upgrades to consider :).

Reactions: akamatsu

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've not heard this and tried to verify this (as i was in the process of buy my Solos). I did hear a rumor on the speaker front. Could indeed be higher end integrated speakers with better amps/DAC's. It looks this is the direction that Linn is going. Future will tell but I am sure we'll have new upgrades to consider :).
From a source who has been fairly reliable in the past, new top spec amps. If you are talking top spec integrated speakers, then perhaps this new amp technology will be used. This would increase the price of top of the line speakers, thus making room for a better Akubariks. Still dreaming over here. :D

Reactions: frans5508

pirov

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 25, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Agree this would be good - would make a lot of sense to upgrade amps at same time as DAC, particularly if Linn is going to stick with the Akubarik and not introduce an Exakt speaker replacement which seems unlikely.

• Upvote

Pennypacker

d^_^b
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I'm doing a bit of dreaming here. I keep thinking that some better, more powerful and more musical amps would really help take the Akubariks up a notch or two. The current amps are based on the Majik amps, at 100W, except the isobarik amps which are 200W. This used to seem like a lot of power, but with the Klimax 350s sporting 3000W total, seems rather wimpy by comparison. I've heard rumor that Linn are developing new top of the line amps. How about some technology trickle down?

So when Linn offer Organik for the Akubariks (and Akudoriks), how about new modules with new more powerful amps included? Maybe class D technology, if that's better. It does seem to be a direction to which some are headed.

Again, just dreaming. :D
2000 of these watts are dedicated to the two enormous woofers consuming 1000 watt each, so that leaves 250 watts per channel for the remaining remaining 4 channels, just saying that this doesn’t make the Akubariks wimpy in comparison IMHO. From a real world powerneed perspective these figures relative to the respective speaker seem quite balanced to me. 

Just look at that midrange driver in comparison.

F45D20B1-66D1-4F7A-903A-B0FEF3D2CBB5.jpeg

I run my Keltiks with the “more modest” exaktbox-I and all is actually fine in my current living room, the only one screaming for more power is the worm in my head… 😬

As per new price list the Akudoriks or no longer on there, making me think that these are a dead end street regarding any Organik upgrades in the future. 

Last edited by a moderator:

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I run my Keltiks with the “more modest” exaktbox-I and all is actually fine in my current living room, the only one screaming for more power is the worm in my head… 😬
Same worm over here. I was thinking 400W for the isobariks, 200W for the upper bass, the 3K array could stay at 100Wx3. But beyond just power, if Linn are developing new top spec amps, perhaps cleaner power would be available.

Elad Repooc

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2020
Pacific Northwest
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Same worm over here. I was thinking 400W for the isobariks, 200W for the upper bass, the 3K array could stay at 100Wx3. But beyond just power, if Linn are developing new top spec amps, perhaps cleaner power would be available.
Interesting because when going Aktiv in the past with many of the speakers (especially those with a 3K array), better results were typically achieved when the higher output power amplifiers (i.e. 200W) were connected to the high frequency drive units and the lower power output amplifiers (i.e. 100W) were connected to the lower drive units. Linn said as much about a decade ago or so.

Of course the optimum solution has been Solos for every drive unit involved, with servo-controlled low-frequency bass drivers (something pioneered by Arnie Nudell I think actually - no one really knew what he was going about at the time).

Reactions: pirov and akamatsu

HansBertil

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
Sweden
AKA
Bertil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Without a lossy crossover the real need for power should be lower given the same SPL. But the worm will not be convinced by rational arguments, will it?

• Upvote
Reactions: arm and akamatsu

rduras

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 14, 2018
Varaždin, Croatia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting because when going Aktiv in the past with many of the speakers (especially those with a 3K array), better results were typically achieved when the higher output power amplifiers (i.e. 200W) were connected to the high frequency drive units and the lower power output amplifiers (i.e. 100W) were connected to the lower drive units. Linn said as much about a decade ago or so.
I read about this many times and try it myself with Majik and Akurate amps and it looks like it could be true from my experience also.

But what would be a technical explanation for this illogical configuration?

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sadly Michael I think that you will have to carry one dreaming. The x200 amps are very nice but Linn showed their "Akurate" hand by renaming the Majik Exaktbox-i as Akurate Exaktbox-i. I suspect this had something to do with keeping "Katalyst" away from Majik and the upgrade had already been offered but it still shows their thinking. The Exabox-i is pretty good though - whichever name is on the front - and its a hell of a lot cheaper than the same number of x200 channels and Akurate Exaktboxes!

• Upvote

HansBertil

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
Sweden
AKA
Bertil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It’s not just the power output. The Akurate amps are better than the Majik ones.

’troll
I’ve heard this too, from my dealer I think. Put the better amps on the tweeters since they handle the higher frequencies better.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sadly Michael I think that you will have to carry one dreaming. The x200 amps are very nice but Linn showed their "Akurate" hand by renaming the Majik Exaktbox-i as Akurate Exaktbox-i. I suspect this had something to do with keeping "Katalyst" away from Majik and the upgrade had already been offered but it still shows their thinking. The Exabox-i is pretty good though - whichever name is on the front - and its a hell of a lot cheaper than the same number of x200 channels and Akurate Exaktboxes!
My next inevitable upgrades will be the Ekstatik, and Organik for the Akubariks. After that, the only place to go would be Klimax 350s. Well, I like the Akubariks. K350s seem just a little bit too big. Also, I don't think they would look as good as the Akubariks in Pearl Dark Gray. I don't want to have to buy new speakers just to get better amps. I'll keep dreaming. ;)

Reactions: pirov

Mark57

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
I am in the same place as Michael. My system lives in the living room and the priority is to minimise boxes and cables. And 350s would be too big for the space, sadly.

(I guess I could ditch the LP12 and Radikal, but that’s a step too far 😁)

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If I were to buy Klimax 350s, I wouldn't even know how to pay for them. I usually use a credit card to make hifi purchases. The 350s are well beyond my credit limit. I guess I'd transfer a pile of money to my checking account and write a check, and miss out on all those frequent flyer miles. If I ever get serious about this, I'd probably figure something out.

Another thing, I've mentioned interest in 350s to two different dealers. Neither of them tried to sell me on the 350s. I would love for a dealer to talk me through why the 350s are so good. I'm an engineer firmly grounded in cause and effect. I would listen with much interest.

Reactions: formann

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online