• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

New cartridge - bedding in time?

Pedro2

Pedro2
Wammer
Sep 9, 2018
High Peak
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Just a quick one. Took delivery of a new cartridge on Friday and wondered what is a ‘normal’ time for bedding in - or is this a myth?

I seem to remember that the outgoing cartridge (Rega Elys2) took some time to sound ok (it never really sounded good, which is why I replaced it).

Jules_S

Are we there yet?
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
Southampton
AKA
Jules
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would expect it to depend somewhat on which cartridge it is, a low-compliance model might take a bit longer than a high compliance design, but I'd probably expect at least 50 hours, and possibly up to double that?

Reactions: bigrod and Pedro2

Pedro2

Pedro2
Wammer
Sep 9, 2018
High Peak
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Thanks, folks. It’s what I suspected but I’m a relative newcomer to this vinyl stuff (a returning user after a 35year break!).

I’ve just replaced a Rega Elys2 with an AT VM95 RigB - I’ll post my impressions after it’s been in use for a week or two.

Idlewithnodrive

Class A, all the way
Wammer Plus
May 7, 2018
Virtually, everywhere
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks, folks. It’s what I suspected but I’m a relative newcomer to this vinyl stuff (a returning user after a 35year break!).

I’ve just replaced a Rega Elys2 with an AT VM95 RigB - I’ll post my impressions after it’s been in use for a week or two.
I often use an ATVM95ML RigB and it's a wonderful sounding cart for anything like the money.

It did take 50 - 60 hours to open up.

Reactions: Pedro2

BettisDad

Wammer
Oct 23, 2019
Wigan
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not a myth, my Iq1 and 3 took at least 100 hours to break in fully, becoming more delicate in their sound and showing nuances in the music better. The iq3 also seems to get rid of most surface noise as it’s broken in over time which was a big and welcome surprise.

Reactions: DomT

2010*zuma

Super Wammer
Wammer
Nov 12, 2011
Caerphilly castle
AKA
Young Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
One needs to play some judas priest, black sabbath or queen records backwards after midnight to really achieve some proper burn time....

sit back relax and hear the real message behind some of those songs 👿😈......👻

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It’s years since I regularly swapped cartridges. I know some sounded brilliant when ‘box fresh’ and others took a while to settle. And I wasn’t always on the ultimately ideal tracking weight or anti-skate first off. I think it’s best to revisit those in a few days or after a dozen or so records. (Once upon a time, I’d fit several in one day, while part-time in a Hifi shop).

The best thing for sound always seemed to be a nice warm room - better tracking - and taking your time. AT seem on a roll these days!

Last edited:

stormyuklondon1

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 10, 2006
AKA
Scott
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My AT atoc 9xsl has taken a few weeks to break in, without a doubt. Astonishing cartridge for the money now it’s on song.

bigfish786

Wammer
Wammer
May 15, 2013
Yorkshire
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If it’s been a while since you set up a cartridge, just double check everything to make sure it’s lined up right and the correct force applied. 👍

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think it depends on the cartridge perhaps .. I had my spare Decca retipped last year .. when it arrived I slotted it on the arm and it sounded great (in fact just like the Decca I took off and I know because I put it back on just to check).

All I do know is, I would not buy a cartridge that did not sound better than what I have out of the box .. and if it is going to improve with "burn in" great, but no way am I going to take the risk that after a few weeks use it will improve (or to my pyschy your ears get used to it but it never changed sound at all).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mx2one